X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State OCS vs. Accelerated OCS

OK, here's the main question I am asking seeking the opinions from those of you who have traveled one of these routes.

I am enlisting as 09S. My biggest dilemma (at least in my mind) is to go the accelerated 8 week course or the state OCS that will last 18 months with 2 AT's and 1 wkend/month.

Let me give you a little context...

I have 3 kids, wife, and 2 dogs (LOL!). I have a job that will allow me to go either route. I can endure either route. Just looking for opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance to all!

Re: State OCS vs. Accelerated OCS

Originally posted by FormerUSMC0331
    OK, here's the main question I am asking seeking the opinions from those of you who have traveled one of these routes.

I am enlisting as 09S. My biggest dilemma (at least in my mind) is to go the accelerated 8 week course or the state OCS that will last 18 months with 2 AT's and 1 wkend/month.

Let me give you a little context...

I have 3 kids, wife, and 2 dogs (LOL!). I have a job that will allow me to go either route. I can endure either route. Just looking for opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance to all!

I'm in the same boat. I thought at first I wanted to do state to minimize my time away from work and family. Now, I'm leaning towards AOCS. Why would I want to put off my ultimate goal, to be an officer, for 18 months when I can knock it out in 8 weeks? Not only that, but the less time it takes to get commisioned the less time it takes to start making more money (0-1 vs. E-5) and get your accession bonus (if you qualify).

Comment

Remember that after OCS is BOLC. Granted they won't be back-to-back, but you've got to consider that in your planning. How will your family and employer react with you gone for two months, then within a year gone for another 4-5 months? The traditional OCS course takes longer, but it minimizes impact on family and civilian employer. Depending on your situation, that may be more important. I'd rather have my family and my job than an officer's commission 18 months earlier than I could have it anyway.

Comment

i was thinking about the same route but i would have not done the 8 week one because i have the 60 credits to join the program but not the degree needed at the end, at least thats how i think it works. Anyways my best route is SMP with ROTC this way i get all my schooling and my officer position.

Comment

The 18-month option was less intrusive on my job and education, but we still lost a few members because their career would not tolerate the Friday needed for a MUTA-6.
          Last edited by California Major; June 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002
            Not only that, but the less time it takes to get commisioned the less time it takes to start making more money (0-1 vs. E-5) and get your accession bonus (if you qualify).

Actually I am in a traditional program. I make more money drilling as an E-6 Officer Candidate than I will when I put on
            01-E next year for a drill weekend.

Bonus doesn't come till after BOLC.

Just saying.
            Last edited by scjohnny; June 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny
              Actually I am in a traditional program. I make more money drilling as an E-6 Officer Candidate than I will when I put on

Bonus doesn't come till after BOLC.

Just saying.
              How is that possible? The O-1E scale is above the E-6 scale at every level for years of service. An E-6 with 18 yrs make $30 more per month than an O-1E with four years. How am I reading this wrong?

Comment

I think you'd get more out of doing the traditional program.

First off, you're not as rushed to get through the material. Second, you get to network. You have the opportunity to meet a lot of the senior staff for your state.

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
                  The 18-month option was less intrusive on my job and education, but we still lost a few members because their career would not tolerate the Friday needed for a MUTA-6.
                  According to the paperwork emailed to my recruiter, they are MUTA 5's, not 6's. I am in Ohio. Would this vary from state-to-state?

Comment

That doesn't calculate in my book either. According to the pay chart on www.dfas.mil, an O1E (over 4 yrs) makes $460.56 for a MUTA-4. An E-6 (over 4 yrs) makes $358.76 for a MUTA-4. I know that your time in service (TIS) may vary from mine, but I don't see how your figures match what you're claiming. Please don't take this as a personal correction. I'm just confused to what I might be leaving out.

Also, I was told by my recruiter that I'd be paid as an E5 in OCS. Am I missing something here? How are you paid as an E6? Was that your rank going into OCS?

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                      I think you'd get more out of doing the traditional program.

First off, you're not as rushed to get through the material. Second, you get to network. You have the opportunity to meet a lot of the senior staff for your state.
                      How often do you get to converse/network with others? I haven't been given this perspective yet, but I find it an interesting one.

Comment

Do you get paid a BAH while at the AOCS? I have dependents so I am not sure how that works. I know that you stay on base (in a barracks, I presume), but believe I was paid a BAH when I was active USMC for similar reasons.

Comment

Sorry it was late when I posted last night and I just got back from a Thur/Fri drill (Alabama started their Summer Accelerated today), I knew I'd get questioned on my response.

So to start with there are two caveats here.
                          1. This is based on how Alabama does it. It may not be the same for the whole guard. However I spoke with several Michigan Candidates yesterday at Ft. McClellan and they do travel pay just like we do.

2. This is also based off the original quote I replied to about "making money faster", as I realize down the road with retirement calculators, DOR, promotion dates, etc, etc it is generally best to get promoted as soon as possible.

- In Alabama you get promoted to E-6 the first day of phase 1 no matter what state you come from. Now as it if they demote you back to E-5 when you leave here and go to your own state and pick up traditional, I cannot speak to that.

Ok so here is my situation. My Unit that I will be a 2LT in (God willing) when I graduate next summer is 181 miles from my house. OCS is 151 miles from my house. Either way I have to drive to a Unit the Friday before drill. However there are 2 BIG monetary advantages in doing this with OCS. Travel pay and 1 day of active duty pay. My gaining Unit does neither of these. OCS does. Also, for pay purposes I get paid for 18 years.

So, SCJohnny going to drill at my Unit as an officer:
                          Travel up Friday on my own dime in respect to gas and military status time.
                          2 Day drill weekend @ O1-E pay: $571.88

SCJohnny going to drill at OCS as an Officer Candidate:
                          2 Day drill weekend @ E-6 pay: $464.60
                          1 Day active pay for going up Friday (1800 sign-in) on their dime: $156.75
                          Travel pay: ~$180 per drill

I was told early in the ball game Alabama would do their best to take care of all of our financial/pay needs and in a round about way told they pay this to ensure the candidate has minimal out of pocket expenses. So far they have been spot on.

(And this isn't even counting the 6 free meals they feed me at OCS vs. walking over to the Outback Friday/Saturday night for an Outback Special and a few beers at my gaining Unit!!!! )

Comment

Sorry it was late when I posted last night and I just got back from a Thur/Fri drill (Alabama started their Summer Accelerated today), I knew I'd get questioned on my response.

So to start with there are two caveats here.
                            1. This is based on how Alabama does it. It may not be the same for the whole guard. However I spoke with several Michigan Candidates yesterday at Ft. McClellan and they do travel pay just like we do.

2. This is also based off the original quote I replied to about "making money faster", as I realize down the road with retirement calculators, DOR, promotion dates, etc, etc it is generally best to get promoted as soon as possible.

- In Alabama you get promoted to E-6 the first day of phase 1 no matter what state you come from. Now as it if they demote you back to E-5 when you leave here and go to your own state and pick up traditional, I cannot speak to that.

Ok so here is my situation. My Unit that I will be a 2LT in (God willing) when I graduate next summer is 181 miles from my house. OCS is 151 miles from my house. Either way I have to drive to a Unit the Friday before drill. However there are 2 BIG monetary advantages in doing this with OCS. Travel pay and 1 day of active duty pay. My gaining Unit does neither of these. OCS does. Also, for pay purposes I get paid for 18 years.

So, SCJohnny going to drill at my Unit as an officer:
                            Travel up Friday on my own dime in respect to gas and military status time.
                            2 Day drill weekend @ O1-E pay: $571.88

SCJohnny going to drill at OCS as an Officer Candidate:
                            2 Day drill weekend @ E-6 pay: $464.60
                            1 Day active pay for going up Friday (1800 sign-in) on their dime: $156.75
                            Travel pay: ~$180 per drill

I was told early in the ball game Alabama would do their best to take care of all of our financial/pay needs and in a round about way told they pay this to ensure the candidate has minimal out of pocket expenses. So far they have been spot on.

(And this isn't even counting the 6 free meals they feed me at OCS vs. walking over to the Outback Friday/Saturday night for an Outback Special and a few beers at my gaining Unit!!!! )
                            You are getting travel pay now because Alabama isn't attaching you to your RTI, so your OCS drills aren't home station. Thus, you get travel reimbursement. The Friday thing is because OCS drills are really MUTA-5s. It worked the same for my OCS orientation in Mississippi.

As for being advanced to E-6 for phase one. It didn't happen for me last summer at Ft McClellan. Is it new, and how can AL advance anybody's pay grade from another state if they aren't paying the soldier?

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSMC0331
                              How often do you get to converse/network with others? I haven't been given this perspective yet, but I find it an interesting one.
                              For my class we got to me quite a few of the officers every drill. Either they were instructors or they would make a point to stop and talk. The TAG would often talk to us.

NGOCS pays as an E-6. There was a brief period in which candidates were paid as an E-5. Beyond that it really can vary from state to state and year to year.

For instance, I never recieved travel pay for OCS other than AT orders but I every drill was a MUTA-5. We did have one MUTA-7. I've talked to other officers from other states who said they weren't paid for Friday night but were "encouraged" to be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X