Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying my first set of Class A's

Hey all,

I have to go buy my first set of Class A's soon. They're a required display item for OCS and all that I got for my initial issue was 4 sets of ACUs. So I have I'm going to have throw down some cash for some other uniform stuff.

Anyone have any advice or things I should consider when going to buy the Class A's? Any soldier secrets?

Re: buying my first set of Class A's

Class As? Like the uniform you got when you were at basic? The green one?

Or the new ASU, Army service uniform that replaces the Class As and Dress blues?

Major Difference.

Either way go to FT Dix and ask for Mary at the Clothing and sales, she will fit you and show you everything you need.

And if you are going to throw money down get the ASU, no need to buy the Class As when you should already have a pair of those and you will eventualy need the ASUs anyways.

Comment

I am prior USAF, so I didnt get any Class A's issued to me. I swore in Feb 18th and went straight to OCS on the 20th after about 10 minutes in RSP.

I also just PCS'ed to aberdeen maryland so I cant see your reference. I'd love to have someone that high speed though!

EDIT: and for now, our class SOP says "Class A uniforms".
      Last edited by show_stopper999; June 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
        I am prior USAF, so I didnt get any Class A's issued to me. I swore in Feb 18th and went straight to OCS on the 20th after about 10 minutes in RSP.

I also just PCS'ed to aberdeen maryland so I cant see your reference. I'd love to have someone that high speed though!

Get ASU, they are the new class A, they are reg and cannot be argued.

Comment

Got it. Thanks SSG. Second follow up question. When setting these up, I'm reading on the Overseas Service bar from regulation:

d. By whom worn. Soldiers are authorized wear of the overseas service bar as indicated below.
          (1) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of active Federal service as a member of a U.S. Service outside CONUS, from 7December 1941 until 2 September 1946, both dates inclusive. In computing overseas service, Alaska is considered outside CONUS. An overseas service bar is not authorized for a fraction of a 6–month period.

I'm reading "active federal service", my civilian army employment counted toward active federal service in my time in service com****tion, it's considered federal service.

Would my civilian army employee time also count toward overseas service bars? I have 2 years active duty enlisted overseas and about 6 years overseas as an army employee in federal service overseas.

Comment

Got it. Thanks SSG. Second follow up question. When setting these up, I'm reading on the Overseas Service bar from regulation:

d. By whom worn. Soldiers are authorized wear of the overseas service bar as indicated below.
            (1) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of active Federal service as a member of a U.S. Service outside CONUS, from 7December 1941 until 2 September 1946, both dates inclusive. In computing overseas service, Alaska is considered outside CONUS. An overseas service bar is not authorized for a fraction of a 6–month period.

I'm reading "active federal service", my civilian army employment counted toward active federal service in my time in service com****tion, it's considered federal service.

Would my civilian army employee time also count toward overseas service bars? I have 2 years active duty enlisted overseas and about 6 years overseas as an army employee in federal service overseas.
            I'm pretty sure civilian time doesn't count, nor should it in my opinion.

Comment

I think it's going to come down to this phrase and who interprets it. My paperwork now says I have 6 years time in service.

"as a member of a U.S. Service"

Comment

I'm also really looking forward to the explanations I'll have to provide when I have Civilian medals at the top of my rack. I already was practically interrogated by the lead TAC as to why I have two ID cards.

Comment

I'm also really looking forward to the explanations I'll have to provide when I have Civilian medals at the top of my rack. I already was practically interrogated by the lead TAC as to why I have two ID cards.
                  That must be and will continue to be annoying.

Prior USAF with civilian hardware to boot... you're just going to have to carry a folderfull of paperwork justifying/verifying every award.

Comment

Hahah hey you sworn in on my birthday

Comment

I have to say the new blue uniform looks really great I heard that they did that because thats how Washington's Army was dressed in blue obviously. I think thats a great idea to emulate Wasington's Army for today or in any time.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                        That must be and will continue to be annoying.

Prior USAF with civilian hardware to boot... you're just going to have to carry a folderfull of paperwork justifying/verifying every award.
                        I believe it wont be fun at all. As cool as it is to have it, after last time, I would rather not. The phrase "Switch to an alternate exercise OC duncan, your chest is going to fall off" is never said because things are going well for OC Duncan.

"Holy Sh@t Duncan, you have two ID cards????"
                        "Yes Sir! Army civilian and Army Guard"
                        "Why? Is that how it's done? What's the difference? Why two?"

Comment

I believe it wont be fun at all. As cool as it is to have it, after last time, I would rather not. The phrase "Switch to an alternate exercise OC duncan, your chest is going to fall off" is never said because things are going well for OC Duncan.

"Holy Sh@t Duncan, you have two ID cards????"
                          "Yes Sir! Army civilian and Army Guard"
                          "Why? Is that how it's done? What's the difference? Why two?"
                          I have two ID cards and no one cares

Comment

Wasnt the case for me when they decided to go through my wallet. What I wrote above was what was actually said.

Comment

Some supplemental issue is due

Its been a LONG time since I looked this up, but for what its worth...

When I went to OCS, my Supply Sgt looked up the regs and found that I was due some supplemental issue items...It was something like an additional set of Class B's, but I was happy to take it. Take advantage while you can.. It gets expensive later.

I'm picking up the mess blues this year...It's typically worn by field-grades at the formal events around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X