Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guard vs. Reserve

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Guard vs. Reserve

    DOH, Phantom beat me to it.

    My ole man is a history buff and a history major in college, he would tell us stories of different WW II units when we were younger, this one was one of the more famous units, the fighting Nissei (sp). Ever seen the movie "Go for Broke?" Great movie.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Guard vs. Reserve

      Originally posted by Phantom
      The 100th Battalion, 442nd Infantry, is the only remaining Infantry unit in the Army Reserve force structure...
      For full credit, name its most famous living alumnus.

      Once you do, you'll understand why the Army has violated all sorts of internal force management rules to maintain this unit.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Guard vs. Reserve

        Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        For full credit, name its most famous living alumnus.

        Once you do, you'll understand why the Army has violated all sorts of internal force management rules to maintain this unit.
        Could it be Daniel Inouye.

        Of course this is not much different then Truman's Own

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Guard vs. Reserve

          The difference is that the Reserves aren't as cool as the guard.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Guard vs. Reserve

            how do you choose which one you go in to. does it go by the amount of years you're going in? or is it by carreer?

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Guard vs. Reserve

              Originally posted by yessy
              how do you choose which one you go in to. does it go by the amount of years you're going in? or is it by carreer?


              Personal preference.

              I want to know if the bonuses are the same for both. I can't get a bonus for my MOS in the NG

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                My recruiter told me Id be doing a 6 by 2, which means i sign up for 6 years and work 2 days out of the month. When i told a friend -who is a marine- he said id be a reservist. thats the reason for my question. i dont want to start an entire new thread for it so im hoping to get some help on this.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                  Originally posted by yessy
                  My recruiter told me Id be doing a 6 by 2, which means i sign up for 6 years and work 2 days out of the month. When i told a friend -who is a marine- he said id be a reservist. thats the reason for my question. i dont want to start an entire new thread for it so im hoping to get some help on this.
                  6x2 means you will sign for 6 years in a drilling status and 2 years in the IRR.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                    well now im confused.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                      Originally posted by yessy
                      well now im confused.
                      Well ask questions....

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                        im very new at this so i've no idea what the terms mean. much less the acronyms. sorry.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                          Originally posted by yessy
                          im very new at this so i've no idea what the terms mean. much less the acronyms. sorry.
                          Again ask questions.

                          I've served in both the Guard and Reserve and can say they both have pro's and con's.

                          If you're confused by 6x2, then you need to start asking a lot more questions, or you're going to feel your recruiter has lied to you.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                            Hey, if I did over 8 years active and I enlist in the NG does that mean my total contract would again be for 8 years or is my IRR commitment already up?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                              All enlistment contracts are 8 years of service. Almost everyone chooses 6 years of drilling one weekend a month and 2 years of being in the IRR pool. The IRR is a roster of soldiers that do not drill, are not technically Guard anymore, fork up many benefits they had while drilling, but they can be plucked out of that pool from all 3 army branches for a mission.
                              Last edited by SteveLord; May 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Guard vs. Reserve

                                S.o.A.B.

                                Oh well, once I say the oath this times it will be until I retire anyway. No point in having 8 1/2 years active and 6 NG and not staying until retirement. My problem is going to be NOT going RA once I am in the NG for a while. I miss the military lifestyle.


                                Back on topic: Is the bonus system the same for Guard and Reserves? I can't get a bonus right now in the Guard and I don't want to wait until October to see if the bonuses open back up for my MOS.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X