X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army to make Basic Training easier.

Read this in the army times. Army BCT will have less PT, more sleep, more focus on marksmanship.

Some Cliff Notes:
    • Wake up at 0500, Bed at 2100
    • Shooting an average 500 rounds as opposed to 300.
    • New focus on combatives
    • Less focus on warrior tasks and drills (Gen. Casey: "do a few tasks well...and then prepare to adapt to the situation)
    • Less focus on basic tactical training, soldierization, tactics, situational training exercises

Basically the Army Times say that the bar has been lowered again.

Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

I haven't been to Basic yet... but I don't see how this lowers the bar? If every soldier comes out learning to fight and shoot better, isn't that a good thing?

Comment

Times are no different from what they were 12 months ago. We woke up at 0430 and had lights out for 2030.

I'll be on the lookout for that article. I'm curious what they say about PT

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Lowe
        Times are no different from what they were 12 months ago. We woke up at 0430 and had lights out for 2030.

I'll be on the lookout for that article. I'm curious what they say about PT
        It's weird, they say they're going to focus more on PT, but do less PT...I don't get it. It's a new Army Times.

Cover story is "Basic Goes Soft: Less PT, More Sleep. Why the Army has lowered the bar - again"

Comment

was it online or in the paper version?

Comment

mmmmm i guess i have a love hate opinion on this 500 rounds vs 300 is always good. combatives is fun a a nice workout. i hate doing pt but i must admit everyone needs it including me. the sleep times i guess it makes for a fresher soldiers of some bs? i dunno like i said im in between with this.

Comment

Don't worry bout those sleep times. I am sure they will be adhered to just as much as they are now. I recall very few moments when we actually stuck to our 0430 wakeup and 2100 lights out schedule. How do you think South Carolina stays so humid at night? Weather? That's just silly, it was me and about 50 other dudes forced into the front leaning rest keeping it that way.

I hope the new focus on combatives means they are getting rid of it. Until you are going to teach soldiers, when they are locked in a grapple with a foe, to take their teeth and rip out a man's jugular - you aren't teaching them how to fight properly. Now I had a great SSG in AIT who taught us a more realistic form of combatives that was nothing like the junk the Army teaches.
              Last edited by SteveGuard; March 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Start training in Krav Maga (Israeli self defense martial art); L.I.N.E training is a good resource for CQB. Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement is the 7 deadly moves of combat philosophy.

Needs to be practice for at least 2-3 hours per week to get the memory/reflects where it needs to be too become second nature.

Comment

sleeping 9 to 5 is what it used to be. Ammo, now there's a good story. Did you guys get a present when you finished basic? We did, we got a loaded 30 round mag, we could shoot it any way we wanted. I did like almost all of us, I put it on auto, the best 2.5 seconds of basic. Put a big smile on my face.

I don't know how much time they spend now, but they never taught us how to breathe to shoot the M-16. Years later, my unit had a good SSG that taught us to breathe in and let half of the air out to shoot. I immediately improved from marksman to sharpshooter.

Comment

Bah....regardless Fort Jackson has been leading the way on easier training for years. Even Benning's best will probably follow suit. My old DS said recently the whining from recruits just got worse every year.

We're not making warriors anymore. We're just turning pampered kids, into pampered kids with boots and a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                      Start training in Krav Maga

Do you get some financial cut, for every person you tell this too? I think I liked you better when you just talked about JarHead crap. I bet you cant go a whole week without mentioning Krav Maga, in some form.

Comment

This is upsetting. Scheduled to go to basic at the end of may. As of right now I lift weights and run 4 days a week with one long run on the weekend (around 10-12 miles). Was really hoping the PT was gonna be brutal and I'd come back in better shape. First I find out its called "relaxin Jackson" and now this!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                          Do you get some financial cut, for every person you tell this too? I think I liked you better when you just talked about JarHead crap. I bet you cant go a whole week without mentioning Krav Maga, in some form.
                          Sure I love to give lessons....First one is free...second bring an apple (teacher) and pack a lunch ( long day).....Oh if I take one as a last resort CCW.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                            Oh if I take one as a last resort CCW.
                            This......

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Lowe
                              This......
                              I like your thinking

Comment

Working...