Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

Originally posted by Must Fly
    This is upsetting. Scheduled to go to basic at the end of may. As of right now I lift weights and run 4 days a week with one long run on the weekend (around 10-12 miles). Was really hoping the PT was gonna be brutal and I'd come back in better shape. First I find out its called "relaxin Jackson" and now this!
    Any change they're going to make is going to take time to do, not much will be different by May. Also, it is NOT 'relaxin jackson' anymore, I can attest to that. From what I've heard, the new place to go for a laid back BCT is Fort Sill (aka Ft Chill) but this is just what I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
      Any change they're going to make is going to take time to do, not much will be different by May. Also, it is NOT 'relaxin jackson' anymore, I can attest to that.
      Meaning? Many here say otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
        what is limewire?
        Ar me matey... this be the place where ye can get software on the free-low. Just download ye program and type in what ye want.

Software "Pirate". Get it? 3AM IT humor at its finest.....

Comment

Any change they're going to make is going to take time to do, not much will be different by May. Also, it is NOT 'relaxin jackson' anymore, I can attest to that. From what I've heard, the new place to go for a laid back BCT is Fort Sill (aka Ft Chill) but this is just what I've heard.
          If I may ask what company were you in? I was in Echo 2/60

Comment

LOL..I my weight is the hardest to control. I'm 5'10 and weigh 199 in the morning (202 in the evening). I was blessed with a 19 inch neck and 36 waist.

I run three times a week (MWF) no farther than 3 miles along with su, and pu (AM). I train Krav Maga on monday and wensday evening.

I'm tempted to order P90X I want to get down to 165 (wishful thinking) something about mid-life crisis......
            You train Krav Maga? I didn't know that

Comment

ATTN: all privates who just went to basic.

Your basic wasn't harder than anyone else's. Basic is pretty much all the same no matter where you go, so stop arguing over who's was harder. I can guarantee in a year or two, you won't even remember basic.

Comment

From your graduation date from basic, my wife was there the same time. She said it was cake. She was with... 3/34th so considering your graduation dates were the same you guys might've been in the same company... I also went to AIT with alot of guys and gals from fort jackson who said yall PT'd like once maybe twice a week. Now lets get to fort chill... I was in c 1/19th. My CPT use to be enlisted and was a DS, my 1SG use to be a DS and he was the biggest ******* I ever met, and then you have the DS. I'll admit we did not get the worst DS out of the company, but he was dedicated to making us win the PT streamer which we did. However he also made us PT at night in the bay with him along with PT EVERY MORNING at fort sill besides saturday and sunday. Sunday was optional if you wanted to run on the track. Just wanted to clear this up...

But the DS can't stop you from eating what you want, but they can sure as **** stand besides you and talk **** if you get pie or ice cream. I remember this DS yelling at this kid one day while he ate his pie and ice cream this kid never ate pie or ice cream again...

In conclusion just be extra prepared for basic some of us it seems was hard and for others it was easy. I dont think it matters where you go but your company. I was fortunate enough to have DS and ex DS in my chain of command at basic. It was hard as ****, but it made me better than what I would have been going else where. Just make the best out of it wherever you go...

Comment

Wow. I find it amazing that your Drill Sergeants couldn't "tell" you what you could and could not eat.

We had a private in my company who grabbed a nutrigrain bar and the DS flipped his tray over, proclaimed it to be candy, and told all of us to get out of the chow hall - then proceeded to smoke us to earn back every calorie that private *thought* about eating. I only went to basic a little over a year ago.

I still think it has to do everything with your Drill Sergeants and your Company Chain of Command (My Commander, was a 1LT who was a Drill Sergeant prior to earning his commission). I'm sure somewhere in my DS' training he was told he "can't" tell Privates what to eat.

I'm almost disappointed to hear people relaying how 'easy ' their experience was. I'm even more disappointed to hear young soldiers entering in the Army knowing the words "can't" and "Drill Sergeant" to be associated. I feel this immediately shows new recruits that you are able to get around difficulty by hamstringing someone/something with paperwork and policy.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                    Wow. I find it amazing that your Drill Sergeants couldn't "tell" you what you could and could not eat.

We had a private in my company who grabbed a nutrigrain bar and the DS flipped his tray over, proclaimed it to be candy, and told all of us to get out of the chow hall - then proceeded to smoke us to earn back every calorie that private *thought* about eating. I only went to basic a little over a year ago.

I still think it has to do everything with your Drill Sergeants and your Company Chain of Command (My Commander, was a 1LT who was a Drill Sergeant prior to earning his commission). I'm sure somewhere in my DS' training he was told he "can't" tell Privates what to eat.

I'm almost disappointed to hear people relaying how 'easy ' their experience was. I'm even more disappointed to hear young soldiers entering in the Army knowing the words "can't" and "Drill Sergeant" to be associated. I feel this immediately shows new recruits that you are able to get around difficulty by hamstringing someone/something with paperwork and policy.
                    Thats correct I even remember him saying that he suggests to us to not take butter or salad dressing and he then he said he didn't care what we did. I actually remember him saying that during training that he didn't give a damm if we learned anything or not. I swear dead serious he said this

Comment

I wouldn't get too worked up about "my BCT experience" or "mine was harder than yours" or if you didn't go to "Ft Benning you aint sheiot".

I went thru the hardest boot camp in the military the Marine Corps. I'm sure I'll hear from the haters but it is a proven fact. It's the longest, most physical, and mentally challenging. Then after that ALL Marines go to MCT (Marine combat training) a little over a month 4-5 weeks of infantry training tactics and "crew served weapons". Upon completion of MCT you go to your MOS school house.

I used to hear the same BS from "old school" Marines that my training was watered down (I went to boot in early 80's). Vietnam Marines would hear the same from Korean war Marines, and WWII Marines said the same about Korean war Marines. You see the picture.

Bottom line is BCT is what you make it. A phat a-z-z kid that never exercised and was a couch potato I'm sure he would say it was the hardest thing. A varsity high school athlete ex: football, wrestling or cross country...I'm sure it would be cake.

Same could be said about a kid that was raised "hard" he would say the yelling and hollering didn't phase him. However to a kid that was raised with "positive action" and everything is sugar coated probably will be in a world of sheiot when the "rain comes".

Training needs to be relevant and there needs to be a sense of "break down" and "build up". Regardless of the "follow up" training needs to be continuous and on going.

WE TRAIN TO FIGHT AND WIN WARS. Two mile run, 42 pu, 54 su, and 15:54 run isn't doing it. Especially after 9-10 weeks. That is pathetic. In todays military there is no reason for a PT failure especially if you PTing 5 days a week. If there is failure not only do I blame the soldier, I also blame the COC.

Comment

Start training in Krav Maga (Israeli self defense martial art); L.I.N.E training is a good resource for CQB. Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement is the 7 deadly moves of combat philosophy.

Needs to be practice for at least 2-3 hours per week to get the memory/reflects where it needs to be too become second nature.
                        Fight Quest on Discovery HD is doing a show on krav maga right now. Channel 281 for those of you with DTV.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                          Meaning? Many here say otherwise.
                          Well if they're going to focus more on combatives and marksmanship instead of tactics and warrior tasks/drills, that's going to change a lot of the training schedules and requirements to graduate basic training. Plus, all of this will have to go through TRADOC and all of that won't happen in two months.

In regards to 'relaxin jackson' I saw where that title came from when I was there. There are units there, and probably everywhere where BCT is held, that give everyone a bad name. But then, that's the Army as a whole, and life in general if you ask me. Honestly, until you've done BCT EVERYWHERE there is to do BCT, your opinion is completely biased. Everyone thinks their unit was full of bada$$es and that they were the **** but honestly, we're all on the same team. Not that it's bad to have some pride though But seriously, when I hear of someone getting to go see Transformers 2 at basic, and doing PT once a week, one begins to wonder what they're smoking at Fort Chill.

Comment

But seriously, when I hear of someone getting to go see Transformers 2 at basic, and doing PT once a week, one begins to wonder what they're smoking at Fort Chill.
                            Lol where did you hear that?

Comment

He heard that from his imaginary friend... my wife graduated relaxing jackson the same day as he did, I'll ask her if she recognizes his name... my wife likes to workout, however if it was easy for a women I'm pretty sure PT once a week and every now then twice a week wasn't nothing for a MALE!!! Once again bro she was in 3/34th what about you?

Comment

oh yeah lets not forget about that gamecocks game yall got to attend while still in basic training lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X