Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army to make Basic Training easier.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

    Originally posted by Must Fly
    This is upsetting. Scheduled to go to basic at the end of may. As of right now I lift weights and run 4 days a week with one long run on the weekend (around 10-12 miles). Was really hoping the PT was gonna be brutal and I'd come back in better shape. First I find out its called "relaxin Jackson" and now this!
    Yea dude I'm gonna be honest with that your most likely going to comeback in worse shape. Happened to me

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

      Wow, this just blows my mind. I remember back in the mid 90's we had kids yelling "Freeze!", at us when we were OPFOR. Eleven guys against 50+ and we were taking them out easy. Now they want to make BCT easier??? Why would you increase the focus on combatives when you simultaneously increase the number of rounds in marksmanship? Absolutely makes no sense.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

        I'm down with combatives, training in martial arts really is the "bee's knees", but focusing on that is pretty pointless compared to tactical exercises.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

          I REALLY want to learn Krav Maga! I have a friend in Israel who is thinking about joining Israeli Special Forces, and I made him promise to teach me if he goes through with it! I'm also looking for classes on it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

            Ok Phantom here goes...If the Army really want to make warriors out of their soldiers then they should send all non "combat arms" soldiers to infantry school for 4 weeks. Then they could be like Marines "every Marine a rifleman" Upon graduation of BCT and ICT(infantry combat training) then send them to MOS or hooah schools.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

              Soon the Navy will have the most difficult Bootcamp.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                Originally posted by Charlie_Hustle
                Why would you increase the focus on combatives when you simultaneously increase the number of rounds in marksmanship? Absolutely makes no sense.
                Why not? The more the better I look at it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                  Originally posted by gabriel.gambino
                  I'm down with combatives, training in martial arts really is the "bee's knees", but focusing on that is pretty pointless compared to tactical exercises.
                  I see what you did there. I haven't been to BCT nor have I sworn in, but it almost seems like a time problem. I was watching youtube videos and this feller who went through MP OSUT said they didn't do much PT because of a strict training schedule. So why not just make basic longer and harder instead of easier? If its not because of that then I don't know. The USMC may be getting a call from me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                    Originally posted by Smills91
                    I see what you did there. I haven't been to BCT nor have I sworn in, but it almost seems like a time problem. I was watching youtube videos and this feller who went through MP OSUT said they didn't do much PT because of a strict training schedule. So why not just make basic longer and harder instead of easier? If its not because of that then I don't know. The USMC may be getting a call from me.
                    I dunno man, but my wife went to MP OSUT and graduated in December, and she says it was pretty rough physically.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                      I still think it should be longer regardless. What bothers me is that someone posted that a recruit would probably come back in worse shape, which is terribly unmotivating for me because I've lost about 20 lbs so far trying to make tape and running almost everyday, **** I ran a 7:56 mile, not bad for an ex-offensive lineman huh? Oh well, gotta roll with the punches

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                        Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                        Soon the Navy will have the most difficult Bootcamp.
                        The Department of the Navy already does.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                          The Martial Arts they teach you is crap, My friend i use to wrestle with went down there 2 years ago and had the drill sergeant as his partner one time sparing off seeing who was better, my friend threw martial arts out the window and pinned him in 13 seconds. The instructer made him do push ups the entire period of martial arts classes till graduation. Plus if it comes down to you using martial arts in the field, something has gone FUBAR

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                            Originally posted by Smills91
                            I still think it should be longer regardless. What bothers me is that someone posted that a recruit would probably come back in worse shape, which is terribly unmotivating for me because I've lost about 20 lbs so far trying to make tape and running almost everyday, **** I ran a 7:56 mile, not bad for an ex-offensive lineman huh? Oh well, gotta roll with the punches
                            Yea I posted that because there is truth to it. Oh and also do yourself a favor watch what you eat there because you are pretty much allowed to eat what you want and how much so your going to haqve to restrain yourself. Remember the DS can't tell you what to eat so it's up to you.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                              http://www.fight2survive.com/

                              This is some REAL fighting. We had an instructor in GTMO...every night when the guys came back, they were crying like babies, but by the end....they learned some good stuff.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Army to make Basic Training easier.

                                Originally posted by hrotccadet
                                Yea I posted that because there is truth to it. Oh and also do yourself a favor watch what you eat there because you are pretty much allowed to eat what you want and how much so your going to haqve to restrain yourself. Remember the DS can't tell you what to eat so it's up to you.
                                Be careful in construing YOUR basic training experience as universal.

                                My Drill Sergeant CAN and DID tell me what to eat. My Drill Sergeant punched, kicked, clothes-lined, choked and tackled us. I did NOT get the 'regulated' hours of sleep, I did NOT get my cell phone, I did NOT go to the PX. The soldiers in my Platoon ALL lost weight, or gained muscle weight if they were generally under 170lbs. I'm like amazingly shocked that you have this opinion that a Drill Sergeant "Can't". Those words didn't exist for me.

                                And to highlight my point, I was also the in the 2-60th like you, but I was in Charlie Company. And now I see why my Drill Sergeant constantly ranted about the other companies.

                                That being said, if you are a soldier waiting to go to basic training. Get yourself in excellent physical shape, you may end up with the Drill Sergeants from **** - do NOT go in there thinking its a cake walk. You are seriously doing yourself a disservice. In fact, I hated it at the time, but I am extremely glad that I had Drill Sergeants that I have no desire to run into ever again in my life. They are animals. I respect them for what they made me - a Soldier.

                                Smills91, I am an ex-offensive lineman myself. Your experience as a team player will make you much stronger when you get to basic.
                                Last edited by SteveGuard; March 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X