Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with experience with being underweight at MEPS???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with experience with being underweight at MEPS???

Ok, my wife has the packet and going to turn it into the recruiter tomorrow. My wife is underweight, considerably underweight for her height. She is 64', which i think the minimum is around 105-110, and she weighs 90lbs. Talking to the recruiter, he said she would weight, they would see she's under the limit, do a "reverse BMI" (his words), and he doesn't know much more than that. She may or may not get DQ'ed to gain more weight.

My wife does not have any kind of eating disorder, she just doesn't gain weight. She has always been this way, her mom was this way when she was her age, her sister was this way, and her dad is even tall and thin.

Does ANYONE have any experience with being underweight going to MEPS? Our recruiter (I'm already in, she is going in) is willing to send her up there, but he has never put in anyone as small as my wife.

Re: Anyone with experience with being underweight at MEPS???

I suggest rocks in her pockets...or underwear made of steel

Comment

Not MEPS, but we had a guy when I was in basic...they put him on profile for "double rations" because he continued to lose weight when he hit basic.

Comment

I was underweight when I first joined the Guard back in '96. I had to ship to MEPS about 7 times in total, and about 3 of those were due to being 1-2 pounds under the waiver limit.

I could have just gone downstairs and had a few burgers to add temp weight, but they wouldn't allow that. And like your wife, I gain little weight even with active PT. My metabolism is high, so it burns almost everything off. I eat all I want and don't get fat. Hard to gain muscle too, though.

I'm not sure what they'll do in her case, but if she's within the waiver limit she might be okay. Otherwise, they might do the same as me and keep making her return for frequent inspec physicals until she is within the waiver limit.

By the time I went active at the end of '97 though, I was a few pounds over the minimum so it wasn't a problem anymore. Spending over a year on drill status with my unit helped add some muscle bulk, but not much. I didn't start to gain much muscle mass until about the 3rd week after arriving at BCT. I also ate like there was no tomorrow, and gobbled up every MRE I could get my hands on. Those extra calories helped I think.

Comment

I had to get an underweight waiver when I enlisted. I'm 5' 2'' and at the time was 93 pounds. Ive never owned a scale. I walked into my Recruiters office at 32 years old. He asked how much I weigh when we were doing a preliminary packet for MEPS. I guessed 100 pounds. Get to MEPS, weigh 93 lbs. They sent me to the Guard Liason Office. My Recruiter had an underweight waiver for me in about 20 minutes. I was told my minimum was 98 pounds and they could waive it to five under. I'm not sure if that was specific to the weight or it was five pounds for everyone. I was 93.6 pounds. Just made it. We wont talk about what my weight is now. My last APFT was 108! YIKES! Thats 15 pounds in three years!

Comment

sorry guys, hit the wrong button.... 64", meaning 5'4". The scary part about her being 90lbs is that she is completely healthy. She eats and eats and eats... and it's not healthy food usually either. we will go out to dinner, she will eat about half of her meal, then order dessert, and completely demolish it. Not to mention that she eats all the time... snacking all the time... she just doesn't gain weight. Her mom was like this, her sister was like this, and her dad was like this too... She has been trying for months to gain weight, and as for right now all she has gained was 6 lbs.. (from 84 to 90). That is why there is an issue right now.

Comment

Some people are just tiny. My best friend is 5'1", 109 lbs, AND she is 39 weeks pregnant (and perfectly healthy). Skinny used to be the norm, until the "Super-size ME" generation came along....

Comment

My ultra prego wife is 4'11. I'm her 6'2 furniture mover, kitchen cupboard grabber nabber and the DQ/McD at 11pm in 0 degree weather while interrupting my gaming time...retriever.

Comment

No your a good husband and father... and also a smart man, to do what she says, plus those blizzards are awesome!! The DQs here give a 50% off military discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                    No your a good husband and father... and also a smart man, to do what she says, plus those blizzards are awesome!! The DQs here give a 50% off military discount.
                    WHERE ARE YOU????ZOMG

Comment

sorry, I would like to get the topic back on track, so does anyone have any experience with someone going to MEPS being over 10-15 lbs underweight?

Comment

Originally posted by smwoodward
                        sorry, I would like to get the topic back on track, so does anyone have any experience with someone going to MEPS being over 10-15 lbs underweight?
                        Umm yes and I said they would only waive up to five pounds under.

Comment

Yes, it was post #24 when she stated your situation and a personal situation of the same topic. It didnt get off track, you need attention to detail, it was even on the same page you wrote this.

Comment

yes, I am sorry I did see that. I should have been more clear. Our recruiter did tell us about the 5 lbs waiver, but also told us that if she is under the weight, they will do a reverse BMI, and that the Dr's may interview her and approve her to process if she is over the 5lbs. This is the issue that I am wanting to know if anyone has ever seen before. Hopefully my wife will be closer to the lower limit so that all she needs is a waiver, but it is very difficult for her to gain weight, so that is why she may be closer to 10-15lbs underweight.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

The doctor was very happy to DQ me right away when I was weighed. There was no mention of additional waiver for more than five pounds under. He actually was ticked off when i came right back with my waiver within an hour. He tried to talk me out of enlisting. Was telling me weights of rucks and such. I am confident that without being only 4.4 pounds under weight I would not have gotten in, at least with that doctor.

Comment

Working...
                              X