X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use it the GI Bill to pay for room and board

Hey, i've searched around here but haven't really found much specific info about how the GI Bill can be used. I hate bombarding recruiters with questions.

Can i use it to pay for room and board, or just to cover the cost of credit hours?
    If i want to live off campus, would i be able to use GI Bill money to cover that or no? Books/other expenses?
    I have the "kicker" too in my contract, how much extra money is this?

Thanks!
    (if someone finds a useful webpage on this topic feel free to post.)

Re: GI Bill

When you are enrolled in an approved college / school, you get a check every month from the VA who administers the Gi Bill. What you spend it on is your business...But they don't pay the school directly.

Comment

Originally posted by alink
      Hey, i've searched around here but haven't really found much specific info about how the GI Bill can be used. I hate bombarding recruiters with questions.

Can i use it to pay for room and board, or just to cover the cost of credit hours?
      If i want to live off campus, would i be able to use GI Bill money to cover that or no? Books/other expenses?
      I have the "kicker" too in my contract, how much extra money is this?

Thanks!
      (if someone finds a useful webpage on this topic feel free to post.)
      The page to visit is www.gibill.va.gov

Anyway, it's a bit intimidating for a new Soldier, because there are four different (but similar) GI Bills, and you may qualify for more than one. Each has its own ups and downs. For brand new Soldiers, it's simple, inasmuch as you only qualify for Chapter 1606 (which is the least generous).

Advice: Don't use the GI Bill unless you really need the money. If you're taking the money just to blow on pizza and beverages, then you're potentially screwing your future self. Use Federal TA first, then State TA (as applicable), and then only use GI Bill if you really must. GI Bill can pay in ways that TA can't, and if you get deployed in the future your benefit amount will go up. Since you only have 36 months of benefit for any one chapter (max 48 months of any GI Bill usage), you really want to husband that eligibility for when you really need it (e.g., grad school, or continuing ed).

Comment

i want to add that any semesters you go to school half time or less, your total months of gi bill is only taken away half a month at a time. (36 months @7> hours or 72 months @<6 hours.)

Comment

thanks for the responses & link guys, helped out a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X