Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you tell your employer you were joining the Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you tell your employer you were joining the Guard?

Originally posted by PFCPiatt
    I told my boss in our weekly meeting and then he told me I wasnt going to come back to a job. Hope your boss isnt a crack head like mine.
    That's going to be expensive...for HIM! Contact ESGR.

Comment

While a State Employee working at a particular agency, the boss lady was a miserable sea-hag who violated rules for her favorites...and she despised being presented with Orders for Military duty.

So she had one of her managers secretly "investigate" my military leave, in hopes of finding some dirt.

Unknown to her, the manager she chose was a retired Guard Colonel who never mentioned his military service to her.

He read right away what she was up to, and pretty much blew off the fake investigation. One day around the water cooler, I mentioned something about being on leave for the next two weeks, and he says with a laugh "You're the guy! I'm supposed to be finding a reason to fire you, Captain.."

After a VERY short discussion, he laughed and said "guess this investigation is going to take years" and took a sip of his coffee....

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
        While a State Employee working at a particular agency, the boss lady was a miserable sea-hag who violated rules for her favorites...and she despised being presented with Orders for Military duty.

So she had one of her managers secretly "investigate" my military leave, in hopes of finding some dirt.

Unknown to her, the manager she chose was a retired Guard Colonel who never mentioned his military service to her.

He read right away what she was up to, and pretty much blew off the fake investigation. One day around the water cooler, I mentioned something about being on leave for the next two weeks, and he says with a laugh "You're the guy! I'm supposed to be finding a reason to fire you, Captain.."

After a VERY short discussion, he laughed and said "guess this investigation is going to take years" and took a sip of his coffee....
        Sir I can see employers in the private sector being annoyed but I would ithnk that it wouldn't be too much of an issue if your working for any local, county, city, state and federal goverment agency. I'm actually surpised that you were having a problem with this there.

Comment

So I told my boss yesterday, and I'm glad that I did. The reason I told him was that I wanted to see what the best time frame would be for me to go to BCT. He was supportive and glad that I told him before I had went to MEPS.

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
            That's going to be expensive...for HIM! Contact ESGR.
            Roger that sir I just did. I also contacted our HR department to try and give them a chance to fix it. Things have only gotten worse for me. The rude remarks and threats have doubled. No help from HR any more as my manager has them believeing that I never told him anything about joining the guard. I cant say I love the job or the people I work with but I need that money to pay my bills.

Comment

Roger that sir I just did. I also contacted our HR department to try and give them a chance to fix it. Things have only gotten worse for me. The rude remarks and threats have doubled. No help from HR any more as my manager has them believeing that I never told him anything about joining the guard. I cant say I love the job or the people I work with but I need that money to pay my bills.
              Sounds like a similar situation I went through....

eventually yeah sure, you end up being legally justified - but if the company alienates you at work and is really be that hostile... I eventually decided that I'd rather work somewhere else where I enjoy showing up to work, rather than feeling like a D-bag every time I walk through the door.

Just me personally, I don't like the idea of dreading coming into work and don't know how my parents did it for centuries.

Comment

For future reference, keep a good written record of who says what and when. Don't use your work e-mail to do it. Best would be to have a notebook or something so you can write down the date/time/person regarding what was said to you.

Comment

I'll second that motion!

Start a written record. Date, time, location, and person who said what.

Military service is a protected class, and a work environment turned hostile over your status is no difference than a workplace harrassing you for being black or female. With enough evidence, the corporate lawyers will likely settle with you out of court for fear of having the company name in the news.

Now is not a good time for a company to be known as "anti-patriotic".

Comment

I signed up and swore in 1 year ago today. I'm proud of the decision I made, probably the best decision I could have made at the age of 34. Well, after swearing in, I arrived at work and called my district manager. I told him I had joined the National Guard and would be going to BCT and AIT in the summer. He was shocked... He didn't sound particularly pleased. I work in a restaurant chain as an assistant manager in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

About 3 days later, I received a phone call saying that another manager was being promoted from Regional Kitchen Manager to General Manager. This left an open spot. Well, my DM told me that I was the Fore-runner for the position BEFORE I signed up for the NG. They waited 5 months to promote someone to the position. The announcement was made shortly after I left for BCT in August.

Now, do I even care? Nope! Let them be miserable bastards... My goal is not to stay with them any way. I worked wayyy less hours in BCT and AIT than I do in my real job. The restaurant is just a better environment now. I'm not out to impress my boss anymore... no pressure. I still perform my job and everything and put my heart and soul into my position. But, I'm free from the "threat" of ... "if you don't do this you're fired!" mentality that my DM and his bosses will throw around when you make the smallest of mistakes. Sure, I'll probably never get a promotion above assistant with this company, but they can't with hold a yearly merit pay increase. Like I said, WHAT EVER! lol

I don't break the rules, I run perfect shifts, and I have zero guest complaints while in charge. Oh, and the employees are happy to have me back. So, to me, it's a win win! I'm not bitter about missing out on the promotion. Nope, I now just understand why it is soooo important to get myself out of this job and into another that will allow me to be better than I am now.

Comment

Working...
                    X