Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you tell your employer you were joining the Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you tell your employer you were joining the Guard?

For those of you who joined the guard after you had established your career, how did you let your employer know you were joining?

Did you tell them before you swore in? After? The day before you were shipping to basic?

Re: How did you tell your employer you were joining the Guard?

i told them AFTER i swore in and stuff. i was hella nervous to tell them, so i waited until a friday and told my boss so he could have the weekend to think about what i had told him. it turned out he was super excited to here that i joined. he thought it was a good idea. he LOVED the idea that i wanted to further my education which would help the company (whether i do that or not it was a good thing to tell him). So like i said it went well, but i was honest and upfront and let him know exactly why i did it and it was all good. good luck to you.

Comment

Happened to find a lot of post about this when I was using the ole Search Button.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=USERRA

Comment

"Hey, I'm joining the National Guard. Wut? WUT?"

Comment

I had brought it up to my employer before. So, when I told them I was doing it they were very supportive. Didn't make it official to the rest of the company until I swore in. I scheduled the day off to swear in, but they knew before hand what I was doing.

Comment

I told the employer with my mouth. (HEY NOW! Don't go there)

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
              Happened to find a lot of post about this when I was using the ole Search Button.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=USERRA

make the search button WTF huge imo

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                make the search button WTF huge imo
                Wasn't it just a week ago people were gettting tired of old threads being brought back to life? Even a game was created for it. Perhaps some new stories were wanted. The OP could've started that one back up, but then she would've gotten "a one year old thread....wtf" . Just saying. lol

Comment

I told my boss in our weekly meeting and then he told me I wasnt going to come back to a job. Hope your boss isnt a crack head like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by PFCPiatt
                    I told my boss in our weekly meeting and then he told me I wasnt going to come back to a job. Hope your boss isnt a crack head like mine.
                    gee, I wish that was illegal or something.......

o wait, it is.

Comment

Roger that sgt im awear of that. I already talked to our HR lady and she assured me that it would be taken care of. If all else fails we have a HR guy in houston who pretty much fires anyone he has to come and investigate

Comment

Originally posted by PFCPiatt
                        Roger that sgt im awear of that. I already talked to our HR lady and she assured me that it would be taken care of. If all else fails we have a HR guy in houston who pretty much fires anyone he has to come and investigate
                        making sure your 6 is covered

Comment

Roger that sgt glad some one is.

Comment

I told my employer after they were interviewing for promotions for my position. When I told them the day after I got the promotion and their response was

"Gee, if we knew you joined the Military we would never have promoted you!" made me feel all the more justified in not telling them - since I'm pretty sure that is discrimination.

But yeah they continued to hassle me about it for a few months, got the ESGR involved once or twice to settle a few issues. In the end, I actually ended up leaving the company because of the unnecessary stress they were putting on me because of my choice.

Comment

What do you guys do for a living?

Comment

Working...
                              X