Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to wool blankets

Hello all!
    When I got to basic, I was sick for the first 2 weeks. It took me the 2 weeks to figure out that it was the wool blankets. So I started to push the wool blankets away from me at night to avoid the allergies. It worked through basic, but when I got to AIT it's a different story. It's not a constant temperature in my room that I can just sleep with a sheet, I have to have a pretty good blanket. I bought a nylon blanket from the PX and now I sleep with that instead. I'm concerned because I'm supposed to be sleeping with the wool blankets and if cadre sees me sleeping with an unauthorized blanket I could get in trouble, I will get in trouble. If I don't do this it affects my every day life and I'm miserable. I went to sick call for it and all they did was give me alergy medicine(claratin) and tell me to come back if it doesn't help. It doesn't help anything though. There's still wool dust flying around the room at all times. I plan on going back to sick call, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any advice.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Allergic to wool blankets

Tell your cadre you are allergic to it and they will take care of you. Don't be surprised to get some rainbow sheets like my DS gave some guy during BCT

Comment

Originally posted by TradyMagrady
      Hello all!
      When I got to basic, I was sick for the first 2 weeks. It took me the 2 weeks to figure out that it was the wool blankets. So I started to push the wool blankets away from me at night to avoid the allergies. It worked through basic, but when I got to AIT it's a different story. It's not a constant temperature in my room that I can just sleep with a sheet, I have to have a pretty good blanket. I bought a nylon blanket from the PX and now I sleep with that instead. I'm concerned because I'm supposed to be sleeping with the wool blankets and if cadre sees me sleeping with an unauthorized blanket I could get in trouble, I will get in trouble. If I don't do this it affects my every day life and I'm miserable. I went to sick call for it and all they did was give me alergy medicine(claratin) and tell me to come back if it doesn't help. It doesn't help anything though. There's still wool dust flying around the room at all times. I plan on going back to sick call, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any advice.

Thanks for any help.
      Trust me when I say for something like this it is worth it to bring it up to your cadre. It isn't something you can control. You aren't being a whiny b*tch or anything like that. Talk to them. They will probably send you back to sick call to get something that says you are allergic to it. At which point you should be allowed to use a different blanket and only need to have the wool on your bed for inspections.

If they do this, just make sure after the inspection you wash your sheets before you crawl back into bed.

Comment

I'll try asking my squad leader about it and see what they say. I'll have to tell them I'm sleeping with a nylon blanket if they ask. I have my bed made inspection ready every day. I throw a sheet over it and sleep on top of that every night. I still get itchy eyes from the sheet having wool dust on it.

Comment

You know, now that you say this I think I was probably allergic to wool as well...

Through my entire **** 15 week OSUT I would constantly be coughing up crap/sneezing/feeling like I had a fever. It cleared up during the day when we were outside the bay, but would get progressively worse at night where I would wake up 2-3x a night coughing.

I thought maybe there was mold in the walls from all the smokings and sweating, but now thinking maybe it's the wool. What are your symptoms?

Comment

Originally posted by TradyMagrady
            I'll try asking my squad leader about it and see what they say. I'll have to tell them I'm sleeping with a nylon blanket if they ask. I have my bed made inspection ready every day. I throw a sheet over it and sleep on top of that every night. I still get itchy eyes from the sheet having wool dust on it.

What phase are you in? Usually, depending on the AIT, you can get more privileges as your phase up during AIT.

I was at Ft Gordon, anything Phase V and V+ got to use personal bedding. Phase IV had to use Army issue. V and V+ got to wear Civvies too.....go off post on the weekend,smoke, etc etc.

Comment

Mizzou,
              I pretty much have the exact same symptoms as you. it always cleared up after pt in the morning and I was up for a little bit. Then as soon as I layed down at lights out I would just start coughing. Waking up multiple times during the night having to sit up to keep from choking. Then when I was making my bed one morning, since I had the top bunk my face was really close to the bed... As I was flattening out the wrinkles on top, I breathed in and got the same coughing/choking feeling as when I lay down at night. That's when I realized it wasn't just normal allergies. I slept with cough drops and Kleenex under my pillow the whole 9 weeks of basic.

Qcomer,
              I actually just phased up to phase V on Thursday night! Unfortunately only phase V +20 can use personal bedding. I can smoke(if I wanted to), I can get weekend passes, and wear civvies. And I don't have to be to the accountability formations on weekends. We really don't have it too bad here.

Comment

As everyone says, bring it up to your cadre. You shouldn't be miserable like this and actually I give you a lot of credit for putting up with it this long.

I knew people who were allergic to wool and they were allowed to use personal bedding as long as it disappeared in the morning, and the bed looked squared away with the wool blanket and white sheets.

Comment

Working...
                X