X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP or Ship Immediately

I was just wondering which is the best way to go. Do you learn enough with one or two RSP's before you ship to make it worth it? Or, is it best to ship immediately without RSP. Soldiers I've talked to directly said RSP is a waste of time and that if possible ship immediately. But, I see on here that a lot of you find it useful. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RSP or Ship Immediately

Originally posted by azIce
    I was just wondering which is the best way to go. Do you learn enough with one or two RSP's before you ship to make it worth it? Or, is it best to ship immediately without RSP. Soldiers I've talked to directly said RSP is a waste of time and that if possible ship immediately. But, I see on here that a lot of you find it useful. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    i just finished my first RSP and let me tell you i feel i'll be MUCH more squared away then someone that hasn't been to RSP. i learned a ton in just one drill. i have one more before i ship and i'm sure i'll learn even more. so to me it's worth it. by the way i'm almost 30 years old, much more squared away than most soldiers at RSP and i still feel it was very worth it.

Comment

I'm 32, so I hope to the case would be the same for me as well.

Comment

Do you know how to tear apart an M-16 in less than a minute?
        Do you know your General Orders?
        do you know how to stand at Attention? Parade rest? At ease?
        Do you know who to salute and when?
        Do you know the army rank structure?
        i could keep on going, but if you don't know those things you will learn them ALL on your first drill weekend.

Comment

Ummmm.

no
          yes
          no
          no
          yes

So, I would definitely learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
            Ummmm.

no
            yes
            no
            no
            yes

So, I would definitely learn something.
            exactly. i knew some stuff from reading my battle book and what not, but i really did learn a ton. not to mention i'm sore as ****.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
              Do you know how to tear apart an M-16 in less than a minute?
              Do you know your General Orders?
              do you know how to stand at Attention? Parade rest? At ease?
              Do you know who to salute and when?
              Do you know the army rank structure?
              i could keep on going, but if you don't know those things you will learn them ALL on your first drill weekend.
              you will also learn them all your first week of BCT if you don't attend RSP. Regular Army doesn't have RSP and their soldiers turn out okay at the end of a 9 week cycle. If you want to hurry up and go, it's your call. RSP is not that important.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D
                you will also learn them all your first week of BCT if you don't attend RSP. Regular Army doesn't have RSP and their soldiers turn out okay at the end of a 9 week cycle. If you want to hurry up and go, it's your call. RSP is not that important.
                no kidding you will learn that, but isn't it easier to know that sh*t going into it? i'd say yeah. not to mention you get paid for it and they help make sure you are squared away before you go.

Comment

RSP is totally worth it, if for no other reason the phycoloigcal benifits. The Guard was losing far more contracts until they introduced RSP.

You start getting paid, start kinda feeling like part of the team and so on....you get to speak with all the returning soldiers....it's cool....

we got to break down a M4 and a M249....which was neat. And do some other cool stuff and then there is some not so cool stuff but overall it's pretty cool.

Comment

Isn't RSP only the 4 months leading up to BCT now? I was there for 11 months and because my site had over 120 people every drill we didn't get to do much. The most "high speed" training we did was map reading. 11 months of that got old quick...

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
                      no kidding you will learn that, but isn't it easier to know that sh*t going into it? i'd say yeah. not to mention you get paid for it and they help make sure you are squared away before you go.
                      no, it won't make it that easier. everything you'll learn at BCT is completely dumbed down, and force-fed. you will have to try pretty hard to not know your stuff. and you'll get paid way more for BCT than RSP, so i don't know where that argument is coming from. if it were up to me to do over again, i'd ship sooner and get it over with.

Comment

It'll make your first week awful instead of completely awful and that's about it. As long as you know your general orders, soldier's creed, rank structure, etc. (so you don't have to memorize it at BCT all stressed out and preoccupied), there's nothing else that you'll get out of RSP really by waiting. If you have to wait, then yes, it's a good way to spend a weekend per month before you ship off.

You'll notice that the Guard privates seem more squared away at first (likely due to RSP) and then, once they realize that they're going home soon, the AD ones are pretty much the only ones that care. (You all can debate this and say "not me!" but it's true.)

Comment

I'm tentatively scheduled to enlist next Monday. So, I will see what kinda of schedule there is for shipping out. The one at the Benning site seems to not be updated.

Comment

Ship immediately. Nothing you will learn at RSP will give you much of an advantage at basic. We had a lot of "RSP warriors" the first few weeks who thought they knew everything. When they got cocky with the DS they got smoked to ****, and well they weren't treated too well by the rest of the company when the DS weren't around.

You get a bonus too for "quick shipping" too, unless they did away with that.

Comment

I truly found it an excellent experience at the age of 34. Our DS was laid back vs our DS's at BCT. But his job was to insure that everyone would SHIP to BCT. I see why it can be taken as a negative experience. Truth is, you will only get out of it what you put into it. And the same thing is true for BCT. BCT is not near as tough as it probably should have been (non 11B MOS). Either that, or I had some week DS's.

The pro's to RSP for me were:
                              Learned the chain of command
                              Addressing NCO's and Officers
                              Battle drills (I was used frequently as a demonstrator at BCT)
                              Learned good PT to get me ready for BCT
                              Given PT test every drill and got to see my improvement
                              Learned about combatives
                              Opportunity to learn soldiers creed and other things before going to BCT
                              Got used to being around 18 year old while doing PT (that was odd at first)
                              My paperwork was more organized due to it being re checked each drill before going (Only issue I had was with my BAH but they fixed that quikly)

Con's to RSP:
                              Lots of waiting and wasting time while the NCO's got organized
                              The drive was 1:30 and had to get up early to leave for drill
                              lack of discipline
                              The females would cause all kinds of drama during personal time

We got good food 3 times a day and I was treated like an adult, very respected by the NCO's I'd do it again

Comment

Working...
                              X