Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have TWO CACs: a civilian & Guard one?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have TWO CACs: a civilian & Guard one?

I've tried for quite some time to register for an AKO account but I've been told that because I have a DOD civilian CAC (I do not have a DKO account), I have to register my Guard CAC in order to create the account. I was instructed to log into my AKO account to register my CAC. Right...how can log in if I cannot register to set the account up? I have yet to get an answer.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with AKO. My Guard CAC works everywhere else except AKO.

Re: Anyone have TWO CACs: a civilian & Guard one?

You'll need a CAC reader in order to register your CAC in AKO anyhow. It would be best to visit a local armory or recruiter and hook up with them to get your CAC registered and sorted out. They'll have the CAC reader.

Comment

Yep, have one at home and tried at the Armory too. No joy. I went as far as to ask the AKO helpdesk to have a Sys Admin just create the account with temp Pword...

They simply asked like I was speaking Russian or something to them. Pretty frustrating though.
      Last edited by lindy; January 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lindy
        I've tried for quite some time to register for an AKO account but I've been told that because I have a DOD civilian CAC (I do not have a DKO account), I have to register my Guard CAC in order to create the account. I was instructed to log into my AKO account to register my CAC. Right...how can log in if I cannot register to set the account up? I have yet to get an answer.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with AKO. My Guard CAC works everywhere else except AKO.

Ok, pardon if I sound like I don't fully understand your question...

You don't *have* to have a CAC card to use AKO. Just makes it a ton easier. You can setup up your account without one... If for some reason your SSN or whatnot is not in the system, then the Help Desk can assist.

As for your CAC, you can set that up later... That's what I did. Got my CAC when I enlisted but did not have an AKO at the time, so they did not load it with the certificates. HAd to go back later to sort that out....

Comment

If you want to register you CAC and the S6 shop cant handle it right now for reasons, you can go to a ID card facility. They can put your security certificates on it, and you will be good to go. Majority of NG soldiers will never use their CAC, but mainly only as a ID. This is scheduled to change in the future, especially when DTS is opened up completely to Mday.

Comment

It's possible. I've worked with a few people who have two CAC cards. It depends on who you talk too at the ID card place. They load up certificates on it, and you'll have to specifically tell them that you need your Army/Guard certificates rather than your civilian ones. They'll probably have the deer in the headlights look also.

Takes a few tries. I'm not much looking for to having two CAC's and two outlook accounts, statuses in AKO, etc either. Too much confusion.

Comment

Double post to caveat my last post...it could be entirely incorrect that it was done that way for these two soldiers I knew, because they're also supposed to take civilian CACs away when you PCS from overseas to stateside, so you get a new stateside CAC upon arrival. The same personnel soldier just shrugged her soldiers and gave me a CAC until 2012 the day before I PCSed, to "make it easier". She also gave my wife (then fiance) a CAC because we had our license and were getting married soon, just for convience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701
                Ok, pardon if I sound like I don't fully understand your question...

You don't *have* to have a CAC card to use AKO. Just makes it a ton easier. You can setup up your account without one... If for some reason your SSN or whatnot is not in the system, then the Help Desk can assist.

As for your CAC, you can set that up later... That's what I did. Got my CAC when I enlisted but did not have an AKO at the time, so they did not load it with the certificates. HAd to go back later to sort that out....
                Nope, you're spot on! Per the help desk, I MUST load PKI certificates from my CAC into my AKO account because I have a civ CAC and a Guard CAC. When I try to explain that I do not yet have an AKO account (hence my calls & trouble ticket submitted to the help desk) I get a long pause with no help (one lady even told me the only thing she could do was reset a pword).

I can log in to ATRRS, dmdc.osd.mil, and other sites that use a CAC & pin to log in but AKO won't let even me register. I click on register for new accnt, enter my SSN & DOB then get this error msg:

"No certificate was selected. Please insert your CAC or other cert and try again."

I get that regardless whether my CAC is inserted into my reader or not.

I've tried emailing the help desk and calling but to no avail. No AKO for me...one year! NEXT!

S_S999,

I guess that could be my problem: since I routinely TDY to the vacation spots, I keep my civvie CAC but don't use it for anything other than when I'm downrange. I'll look into that.
                Last edited by lindy; January 15th, 2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Note to self. Read thoroughly, do not scan or skim posts before replying.

This is the third time I've replied to a question after scanning a post, only to see that its already answered. haha

Comment

Originally posted by lindy
                    Nope, you're spot on! Per the help desk, I MUST load PKI certificates from my CAC into my AKO account because I have a civ CAC and a Guard CAC. When I try to explain that I do not yet have an AKO account (hence my calls & trouble ticket submitted to the help desk) I get a long pause with no help (one lady even told me the only thing she could do was reset a pword).

I can log in to ATRRS, dmdc.osd.mil, and other sites that use a CAC & pin to log in but AKO won't let even me register. I click on register for new accnt, enter my SSN & DOB then get this error msg:

"No certificate was selected. Please insert your CAC or other cert and try again."

I get that regardless whether my CAC is inserted into my reader or not.

I've tried emailing the help desk and calling but to no avail. No AKO for me...one year! NEXT!

S_S999,

I guess that could be my problem: since I routinely TDY to the vacation spots, I keep my civvie CAC but don't use it for anything other than when I'm downrange. I'll look into that.

That is just fricken odd!! I can not think of why AKO would ask for CAC credentials when you hit "sign up" w/o a CAc... ?? Now we're talking about misdirected links, dead links, etc.

This is why I got out of the IT business....

Comment

i already had a cac card from the army and got hired as a contractor. my boss tried to tell me i needed a new cac card for civilian but i assured her i did not and it was just a matter of new certificates added to my existing card. i havent had a problem since.

now if only i can get my home cac reader setup to frickin work, now that would be of some help!

Comment

You need two CAC's it's the rules. I have 3. 1 civi, 1 army and one with computer admin rights. Just get the 2nd one and use the one you want. I use the admin one all the time. Rarely use my others now for anything other then logging on AKO and reading my mail. You can get the thing to work at your home if you follow the AKO cac how too. Some things I have found always seem to be the most common problem. Open the cac card reader software and go to advanced settings, with your cac inserted. Make sure you choose the option to let your certs be avalible to windows. Also clear out your cookies, catche, etc. As long as you have the proper cac and not an aftermarket non-approved reader you should be good to go. Also AKO and most army websites are built to work with IE. So if your using Firefox it might also be an issue. Also MS just released IE9 and I have not tried it yet to see if it works with a CAC but I would think it should. But you just never know.

Comment

you only need 1 cac. whoever the admin is just needs to add the certificates needed for your job to your existing card.

and yes, i use firefox primarily, it's saying it cant find any certificates, but ie does. but this ie9 *****.

Comment

Working...
                          X