X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel to drill reimbursement?

I remember the two boxes which asked is your unit, where you will be drilling, within 50 miles or more. Mine is more than 50 miles, does this mean they will reimburse me or how does that work? If not, why do they ask? If yes, who do I talk to and what do I need to do? I doubt my recruiter will be taking me up every month, because he doesn't even talk to me now. Just curious to know if they pay for your travel if it is more than 50 miles. Thanks.

Re: travel to drill reimbursement?

Nope. You're the one who chose the MOS and unit. Plenty of soldiers drive HUNDREDS of miles to drill.

Comment

Okay, didn't think so. My recruiter just put me in that unit for particular reasons. 65 miles is not bad once a month - thanks, I appreciate it.

Comment

The NG will try to place you in a unit close to your home. If you choose a MOS that isnt in that range, you must travel. Some units provide IDT lodging for SM that live over 55 miles, could be a hotel room, could be a cot on the drill hall. The only time you get reimbursed for coming to a drill is one round trip miliage for AT. Travel to and from schools is something different.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
          Okay, didn't think so. My recruiter just put me in that unit for particular reasons. 65 miles is not bad once a month - thanks, I appreciate it.
          Considering my daily commute is 45 miles one way I thought I would enlist in a unit 1,000 miles away. Live in Phoenix, AZ and my unit will be in Austin, TX. I wish I got a reimbursement for my work commute.
          Last edited by azIce; January 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

what is going to be your mos?

Comment

11B Airborne

Comment

That commute will get old quick. I don't envy you one bit. I can hear that IST around the corner.

Comment

Oh I hear ya. Kind of like my daily commute I would rather be unhappy with my commute, but happy with my house then happy with my 5 minute commute and live in an over priced smaller house.

I look at this the same way. I could join in AZ and not get to do anything I really want to do (Airborne, Jump Master, Pathfinder, Ranger) or join in Texas and at least get a chance to.

Comment

My commute is 4 hours away. I've done it several times and if it wasn't for CDs and XM radio, I'd be completely bored the entire time. Most of the scenery is farmland. But, I like many people in my unit, I enjoy drill overall, and I get a hotel room out of the deal so it makes all the difference.

Comment

I assume you will fly every month. How often do you think you will burn Fri and/or Mon traveling? How do you plan to pay for it? I'm all for achieving one's goals, but an 1100 mile trip one way is extreme. I think the travel will get to be more trouble than the reward of ABN etc. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

Comment

I would drive if it was in El Paso, but Austin is on the complete opposite side of the state. So, I will be flying once a month. Build up my Frequent Flyer miles I guess.

Comment

Build the miles and drain the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
                            I assume you will fly every month. How often do you think you will burn Fri and/or Mon traveling? How do you plan to pay for it? I'm all for achieving one's goals, but an 1100 mile trip one way is extreme. I think the travel will get to be more trouble than the reward of ABN etc. Good luck. I hope it works for you.
                            Ya, it will definitely be a pain, but I've talked to quite a few guys in California and Texas who do it and while it does suck, they are doing what they want to and is worth it to them. I think I will be in the same boat. Will have to wait and see.

Comment

orang_11b - I see your set for OSUT in March. That is when I was looking to go. I won't know my options until I get to MEPS in Austin next week, but how did you get March? Did they have a bunch of dates available for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X