Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: travel to drill reimbursement?

Originally posted by orarng_11b
    I dont think oregon has an ABN unit nor a SF so I am not sure. I was hoping to get involved with these schools so I can possibly move or be able to go on missions that involve special tactics. Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Did you ever consider going Active before joing the guard? RA members can request as an enlistment incentive ieption 4 (airborne), option 40 (ranger), and 18X Special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
      Did you ever consider going Active before joing the guard? RA members can request as an enlistment incentive ieption 4 (airborne), option 40 (ranger), and 18X Special forces.
      i was watching that show on Discovery last night, "2 weeks of ****" or whatever it is. man i have much respect for those guys. that log excersize and stuff looked sick. also the pitch black land nav. and stuff. looked like no fun to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
        i was watching that show on Discovery last night, "2 weeks of ****" or whatever it is. man i have much respect for those guys. that log excersize and stuff looked sick. also the pitch black land nav. and stuff. looked like no fun to me.
        Thats why it is "le creme" of the crop. The Holy Bible KJV Matthew 22:14 says "For many are called, but few are chosen" very similar to the special ops folks.

The ballad of the Green Beret says "100 men will test today but only 3 to the Green Beret". I'm glad for folks like these.

As our good friend PHANTOM says "your mind will give up before your body does" keep pushing!

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
          I did but it worked better for me to stay in OR and finishing my degree as I am getting into law enforcement. I would enjoy those other MOS's. I'm gonna stop and see my recruiter and surprise him because he never returns my calls, that should be fun.

But one question, I'm going to ask my recruiter but, I see there is a "off-peak" bonus between oct-may. Since I leave march, would that apply? No one ever told me this.

Comment

From what I was told by my recruiter to get the quick-ship bonus and off-peak bonus you must already qualify for an enlistment bonus. He was going to check on that to verfiy, but I haven't heard back.

Perhaps someone who has been approved or denied for these bonuses could chime in.
            Last edited by azIce; January 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
              From what I was told by my recruiter to get the quick-ship bonus and off-peak bonus you must already qualify for an enlistment bonus. He was going to check on that to verfiy, but I haven't heard back.

Perhaps someone who has been approved or denied for these bonuses could chime in.

That seems silly to me, so if someone qualifies for a sign on bonus they then get ANOTHER bonus? And others like myself, get none whats so ever. I'd be happy with 500.

Comment

I thought it sounded a little backwards myself. Like I said, he is checking on it. I don't know for sure what the answer is.

Comment

Reservists can deduct cost of travel to drill, even if they choose the standard deduction. The adjustment goes on line 24 of your 1040.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco
                    Reservists can deduct cost of travel to drill, even if they choose the standard deduction. The adjustment goes on line 24 of your 1040.
                    Thank you, I will confirm this with someone over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco
                      From the 2009 instructions for the 1040:
                      "Include the following deductions on line 24:
                      -certain business expensese of National Guard and reserve members who traveled more than 100 miles from home to perform services as a National Guard or reserve member.
                      For more details, see form 2106 or 2106-EZ."

Comment

Working...
                      X