X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: travel to drill reimbursement?

Will have to see how taxes workout. But, I itemize every year. Have a home based business too. Never take the standard deduction, keep records of everything. You would be surprised how many people take the easy route when doing there taxes and end up losing out on thousands of dollars.

I myself haven't had to get used to a lot of travel because of my work, but most my family has. Weeks at a time almost every month. It sucked for them, but if they can do it. I can do it.

Originally posted by orarng_11b
    Yeah March seems to be a good time to go. Yea I need to take care of tax stuff too before I leave in march and need to get my PT up too. Its bad, besides my pushups. Let me know when you get a date, maybe see you there.
    I'll definitely let you know what I end up with. Hopefully the date you have is still available. That would workout perfect with me.

Originally posted by KMANinTX
    Dam, that is a LONG a@@ commute. I can't give you too much **** now....maybe I can do it in person at a drill weekend.... My info got sent up the chain and my recruiter doesn't see a problem getting in your unit. They have my MOS available. Very excited about maybe getting in though.

My commute will be from Dallas though...roughly 2.5 hrs.
    Ya. My commute used to be 55 miles one way. My wife's commute is still 55 miles one way. When gas prices were at their highest were paying about $1,000 month just for gas. I was like for the love, I'm making another house payment!

That's great news about your chance of getting in. What is your MOS anyway?

Originally posted by cyall
    The reimbursement rate was $.55 per mile driving (just realized my keyboard has no cent sign) last I knew.

2200 miles x $.55 = $1210

$1210 x 12 = $14,520 annual deduction

I don't know how airline tickets and rental cars would work. Where will you stay while at drill? Hotel? Cot in armory? The Guard will be a money loser for you. I'm glad there are intangibles for you.

Edited to add: If anybody decides to claim that large a deduction for travel make sure you keep good records; it is a red flag to the IRS.
    Where I stay will depend on my options after talking with the unit. If I can use a cot in the armory, I'm cool with that. Whatever I have to do to help with expenses I will.
    Last edited by azIce; January 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cyall]The reimbursement rate was $.55 per mile driving (just realized my keyboard has no cent sign) last I knew.QUOTE]

The IRS lowered the mileage rate for 2010 to $0.50/mile.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...216048,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by azIce

That's great news about your chance of getting in. What is your MOS anyway?
        94F (Special Electronics Repairer)

Comment

Yeah I remeber when gas was shy of 5 dollar per gallon.. What a joke.

I orginally was going to leave march 15th, the longer I was at MEPS the more it changed... Turned into march 12th, than the 10th, and signed to report the 8th since I have to stay a few days at the hotel prior to shipping. So it ended up a good week before but I am happy and ready to go.

I live alone in an apartment and decided to keep my belongings here and pay for rent that way I do not have to worry about moving and putting everything in a storage then finding a place when I come back and move stuff back into a new place, which is difficult to find out here. Will be nice to come back in end of june or early july and have my stuff where I left it. Lucky your married and dont have to worry about that.

Comment

At least I hope everything I leave behind will still be here.

Comment

Considering my daily commute is 45 miles one way I thought I would enlist in a unit 1,000 miles away. Live in Phoenix, AZ and my unit will be in Austin, TX. I wish I got a reimbursement for my work commute.
              Yet another American stealing good Texan jobs! lol!

Comment

Not only that, I'm from Nebraska originally.

Comment

azIce, if you have not even gone to meps who are you getting into airborne and all that? I couldn't get anything like that or assault on my contract. I am going to make some calls soon and if not, I hope I can the opportunity while at OSUT or when I return home.

Comment

It helps to enlist into an ABN unit. Then you have to be qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
                      azIce, if you have not even gone to meps who are you getting into airborne and all that? I couldn't get anything like that or assault on my contract. I am going to make some calls soon and if not, I hope I can the opportunity while at OSUT or when I return home.
                      Like cyall said, you have to enlist into an Airborne unit. I know there are a few LRS units left, but I'm pretty sure this is the only NG full blown Airborne unit. At least that's what I've been told. Since it's an Airborne unit I have to be sent to jump school. That's why I'm enlisting in TXARNG and not AZARNG.
                      Last edited by azIce; January 14th, 2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

If you're lucky enough to find a LRS or SF unit, it can literally almost comes down to them handing you a list of schools with checkboxes and preferable dates.

They don't always just let any d-bag in either. Being interviewed and sized up is highly possible.
                        Last edited by SteveLord; January 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Find a unit with a mission requiring ABN. Example: Mississippi has the 20th Group which is SF, so they are all ABN as well.

edit: oops beaten to the punch

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]

They don't always just let any d-bag in either. QUOTE]

And if you are a yogurt choker, and get past the interview or start to not produce, then you will find a new home. Funny part is, you arent asked to leave, you kinda just want to find a new home. Getting in, is the easy part.

Comment

Like cyall said, you have to enlist into an Airborne unit. I know there are a few LRS units left, but I'm pretty sure this is the only NG full blown Airborne unit. At least that's what I've been told. Since it's an Airborne unit I have to be sent to jump school. That's why I'm enlisting in TXARNG and not AZARNG.
                              I dont think oregon has an ABN unit nor a SF so I am not sure. I was hoping to get involved with these schools so I can possibly move or be able to go on missions that involve special tactics. Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

If you can afford to travel to drill and are willing to deal with your unit being in another state don't be afraid to look abroad.

Comment

Working...
                                X