X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: travel to drill reimbursement?

Like I said good luck. At least you're trying to get what you want. A lot of people won't. Wouldn't it be sweet if you were reimbursed for al that travel. Eventually you could just get a license and rent a plane to fly yourself; maybe carpool with somebody from California. I see a whole new career for you shuttling people who travel great distances for drill.
    Last edited by cyall; January 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
      Wouldn't it be sweet if you were reimbursed for al that travel. Eventually you could just get a license and rent a plane to fly yourself;
      I've seen this done before...

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
        Like I said good luck. At least you're trying to get what you want. A lot of people won't. Wouldn't it be sweet if you were reimbursed for al that travel. Eventually you could just get a license and rent a plane to fly yourself; maybe carpool with somebody from California. I see a whole new career for you shuttling people who travel great distances for drill.
        As a side note, my sister works for US Airways, so most of the time it wouldn't cost me more than taxes to fly.

As for your career opportunity, I'm starting the paperwork now. But, I need a name... Drill Air - "We fly - you blow *** up"... maybe not.

Comment

Drill Air - "For when you absolutely, positively, must drill more than 500 miles from home." Nah, it's a little wordy.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
            orang_11b - I see your set for OSUT in March. That is when I was looking to go. I won't know my options until I get to MEPS in Austin next week, but how did you get March? Did they have a bunch of dates available for you?
            I am, I am a junior in college and am ahead with credits and at the same time tired of class and could use a break so I decided to take off spring term. Also it will be a good transition to go to ft. benning in march and get adjusted to the temperatures as they increase for summer, in which I will be leaving end of june or early july. I told them what I just told you and they looked for specific dates in March or April. They said either end of april or early march, so I took the eatly March. Didn't wanna wait that long after winter term and wanted to drill in decemeber. I just want to get the show on the road so I pay for it because now I have to take finals 2 weeks earlier than everyone else.

* I'd like to get into air assault and airborne too. The more I have under my belt the better. I am gonna try to get something in my contract before I go. If not, right when I get back I am gonna hop on it.
            Last edited by orarng_11b; January 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM.

Comment

That's cool. Early March is exactly when I want to go, so hopefully it's available. I need to stay to make sure all the taxes are taken care of before I leave, plus that gives me more time to get my PT score in the 300 range.

Comment

That's cool. Early March is exactly when I want to go, so hopefully it's available. I need to stay to make sure all the taxes are taken care of before I leave, plus that gives me more time to get my PT score in the 300 range.
                Yeah March seems to be a good time to go. Yea I need to take care of tax stuff too before I leave in march and need to get my PT up too. Its bad, besides my pushups. Let me know when you get a date, maybe see you there.

Comment

You can however claim the travel on your taxes. In not sure what the amount of mileage is, but I'm sure it was anything over 50 miles to drill was deductible. There was an article recently in the Army Times that covers the info.

Comment

Considering my daily commute is 45 miles one way I thought I would enlist in a unit 1,000 miles away. Live in Phoenix, AZ and my unit will be in Austin, TX. I wish I got a reimbursement for my work commute.
                    Dam, that is a LONG a@@ commute. I can't give you too much **** now....maybe I can do it in person at a drill weekend.... My info got sent up the chain and my recruiter doesn't see a problem getting in your unit. They have my MOS available. Very excited about maybe getting in though.

My commute will be from Dallas though...roughly 2.5 hrs.
                    Last edited by KMANinTX; January 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leeyo32
                      You can however claim the travel on your taxes. In not sure what the amount of mileage is, but I'm sure it was anything over 50 miles to drill was deductible. There was an article recently in the Army Times that covers the info.
                      That would be helpful if it exceeds the standard deduction amount. I won't be traveling 1,100 miles, but I still have a 4 hour trip to drill like I have seen several do.

I sure hope you love your MOS and your unit for wanting to travel 1,100 miles one way...

Comment

The reimbursement rate was $.55 per mile driving (just realized my keyboard has no cent sign) last I knew.

2200 miles x $.55 = $1210

$1210 x 12 = $14,520 annual deduction

I don't know how airline tickets and rental cars would work. Where will you stay while at drill? Hotel? Cot in armory? The Guard will be a money loser for you. I'm glad there are intangibles for you.

Edited to add: If anybody decides to claim that large a deduction for travel make sure you keep good records; it is a red flag to the IRS.
                        Last edited by cyall; January 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Hey at least he will be 11B (not a wannabe) and "airborne" . What is 14.5k per annum in expenses and time spent traveling? Some people have more dollars than sense.

Comment

14.5k in reimbursement if he traveled by car not including meals and lodging. Actual cost of travel would likely be higher if all the factors were included. IIRC the last time I saw an estimate for the cost per mile to travel by car it was closer to a dollar a mile. If he can get flights for taxes only through his sister it will be a big help, but that much travel will wear thin really fast.

Comment

Wow I'd love to see that IRS audit. However it is "no mountain for a hill climber". He's got his ducks in a row and he's done his research. I'm with you I barely want to travel 112 miles (my choice) and I get the royal treatment.

Comment

I don't know why this is sticking in my mind so badly. Anyway, I got to thinking about it and here in Miss the 20th Group has people come in from California and other far flung locations to be in a SF unit. That makes AZ to TX look like a Sunday drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X