X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined and already had a clearance?

I'm wondering if anyone has joined and already had a clearance, and if the process was any different. I already have an active TS clearance from the Army that I use in my civilian career. I filled out an SF-86 and gave it to my recruiter awhile back and I'm due to enlist 09S next week.

I'm a bit worried because I've heard some horror stories of screw ups with the Army CCF (who grants clearances). For my civilian job I absolutely need a TS/SCI clearance for my job, no questions asked. I've heard of people in the same boat who went to meps and they processed them for the background check and ended up with a SECRET clearance and losing their TS, which as a security person, I dont see how that could happen.

I called up the NGB security officer and he said that they will input the SF-86 but it will come back as "no submission required" but he said it in a way that made me seem like he wasn't sure. Primarily with the "I think" at the end of his statement.

I've talked to a couple people who had different answers about this, nobody seems to be on the same page.

Anyone have any advice to offer or experience?

Re: Joined and already had a clearance?

I seem to remember the security clearance people telling us in a briefing that if you have a TS and apply for a Secret then you will be lowered to secret. I dont know that to be fact, but thats what I remember them telling us. You definitely want to keep an eye on this situation.

Comment

I think I'll just have to be strong about the issue in meps, and make sure and tell them that I already have one, and if I come back getting a secret clearance over-riding my TS, I'm stuck in a broom closet reading the news paper at work and fetching coffee for the next year while the army sorts it out.

Maybe if I get a chance to grab the security officers ear I can have them run the FBI portion or of it or something and not send it for adjudication.

Comment

Show_stopper,

I was in the same situation as you: have a clearance from USG job and need for my MOS.

I finished medical processing at MEPS and went back to the Guard Liaison who put me on the phone with the "security guy". The security guy ran my SSN and proceeded to tell me that not only did I NOT have an active clearance but his records showed that I was NEVER granted a clearance (had one continually since '89).

My response: oh, ok. I'll take care of it then.

I had the SSO from my civilian employer send my clearances to the SSO of my unit. End of story.

BTW...clearances do not over-ride. Regardless of your clearance level, you'll only be given access to information needed to do your Guard job.

Hope this helps.

SFC L

Comment

SFC Lindy,

Thanks for you help and advice. I appreciate it, it puts my mind at ease. Hopefully I can sell the same path to them at MEPS at fort hamilton. I'm a GSSO and SSR as an Army civilian, so I would be royally screwed if something happened to my clearance.

I'll have to have my SSO's number on hand incase something comes up, but I plan on bringing a copy of my JPAS print out to show them so they can run it and verify.

Thanks again!

Comment

There are also different clearance issuing agencies. While serving in The Old Guard, my TS/SCI was issued by DOD in Maryland. When I ETS'd from active and took a job at Raytheon, they had to switch my clearance to a different granting authority.

Comment

This may not be of any help at all, but I recently applied for a security clearance and I recall one question being if I have applied for a security clearance in the past and from whom. This may trigger something considering you're a current TS holder.

Comment

Originally posted by leeyo32
                There are also different clearance issuing agencies. While serving in The Old Guard, my TS/SCI was issued by DOD in Maryland. When I ETS'd from active and took a job at Raytheon, they had to switch my clearance to a different granting authority.

Hey leeyo, not sure how long ago this was, but JPAS was supposed to remedy most of this for the DoD, since with someones SSN I can look up anyones clearance in a DoD agency.

My clearance was granted by the Army itself. Contractor clearances are granted by DISCO (Defense industrial security clearance office or similar).

Sounds like I should be okay though.

Comment

Working...
                X