X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Getting Paid by NG Not Obligated to Attend Drill

After I swore into the NG my recruiter never returned any of my calls. Every time I got a hold of him he was out of the area. He would tell me to call him the next day to "remind him" so he can take me to my unit to check in the next week. I thought he had all my paper work and I relied on him the whole time. This phone tag between the recruiter and myself lasted a few months, long story short I was put into the ING.

It got to the point where I got tired of relying on that douche bag and I checked into my unit myself. It's now 4 months now going on 5 months that I have checked into my unit and I have yet to be paid by the NG.

Admin tells me they have done everything they can at the company level to remove me from the ING but Joint Force Headquarters has failed to return any of the emails or phone calls. I know this is total BS because I used to be admin in the Marines, the longest it would take to fix anybody's pay would be 3-4 weeks. I've checked into my unit 4 months now going on 5.

This isn't a slave Army and nobody is willing to work for free. Am I required to show up for drill until I get paid?? Wouldn't that be a breach of contract? **** I haven't even received my uniforms and name tapes yet. I have one set of BDU's supply was cool enough to give me and I use somebody else's name tapes because mine "haven't shown up" yet.

Re: Not Getting Paid by NG Not Obligated to Attend Drill

You're a former Marine. What did the Marines tell you about what to do if things do not get resolved? That's right....go up the Chain of Command. So if admin isn't working with you, have you addressed your platoon Sergeant? What about platoon commander? And if you have, have you addressed your concerns with the Company First Sergeant?

Comment

No Pay No Work! F-em' they need to learn not to blow people off!

Comment

WOOOP WOOOP that's the sound of the police!!!!

Maybe if you don't show up you could get some new orange uniforms from the county!!!

WOOOP WOOOP, riding in the back of the police car will look cool for the other warriors.

Let me spell it out D-U-M-B! A little slower now D--U---M----B!

Don't do it buddy. Being in the National Guard is going to be one of the very best things you can do with yourself.

Don't screw it up. They will drop you a discharge, with a RE-3 code and you will be DONE serving your country. Use that thing between your ears.

Don't do something DUMB, I beseech thee.
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; January 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

What does your mypay say?

Comment

Originally posted by udamonsta

This isn't a slave Army and nobody is willing to work for free. Am I required to show up for drill until I get paid?? Wouldn't that be a breach of contract? **** I haven't even received my uniforms and name tapes yet. I have one set of BDU's supply was cool enough to give me and I use somebody else's name tapes because mine "haven't shown up" yet.
            Yes, you must show for drill.

It is a load of BS that you haven't gotten some name tapes. Go order yourself some name tapes. You can get four for about ten dollars at http://www.rangerjoes.com/custom-nam...ck-p-2510.html

After you take care of that work your chain of command to get your issue resolved.

Comment

Sorry my post was over the top, truth in it though.

Comment

I would concur with the last two posters. It may be that in a standard job you can walk off if they dont pay you, or even if you just dont feel like showing up that day, but this is a bit difference.

yes, they may owe you money, and yes they may not be paying you right now, but eventually when it's ironed out, you'll get your back pay and you'll probably be happy you got a nice lump sum and go spend it on something you shouldnt.

Anyways, because you signed a contract your still obligated. They are making at least some effort to get this resolved. Even if they werent, you're still going to be held accountable and will likely be handed the paperwork chaplain mentioned if you dont show up, and they probably wont want to hear "but they never paid me" excuse, because they'll just come back with "did you call....(insert unit/person/agency here)" or "how high did you escalate the problem?".

Why? Because the bottom line is that you CAN get this fixed. You just need to follow the chain of command. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Comment

As previously mentioned, use your chain of command. If that doesn't get you the results required inform them that you will be contacting your IG.
                  On a side, Chaplain4me's comments really aren't that far off, I had a soldier who didn't show up, didn't call, and wouldn't answer any of his phones. I had the arrest warrant issued by 10am Sat, the police picked him up around 3pm that afternoon and they held him until we released him on Sun afternoon. That soldier is no longer a member of the military.

Comment

If the unit has not corrected the issue....and by not corrected I mean that the 1SG and Commander have been given the opportunity to address the problem...then you are free to contact the Inspector General's office and file a complaint.

Be aware that the first thing that the IG will do is contact the commander and make them aware of issue and the consequences of not taking care of you. As a company commander, more than once I was on the phone trying to correct a pay problem. I actually had an E4 at USPFO tell me that commanders were not allowed to call directly and she would only talk to my Readiness NCO...I spent the next hour on the phone correcting her supervisor (and fixing the pay problem), who also tried to tell me she was far to busy to have commanders calling her directly...

Your next option is a Congressional Inquiry, also a nasty option. But sometimes needed to get results.
                    Last edited by California Major; January 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Show up to drill, dont go AWOL, and try to keep a positive attitude. I would follow the CA Major's advice. You arent alone when it comes to pay issues in the military. I guess it is good to know that you will see that money at some point.

Comment

Oustanding, MAJ, good to know all the routes. Learn something new most days. LOL

Comment

These are the First questions a IG will ask you if you contact them about a problem.

Inspector General Checklist:
                          1. Be sure you have a problem, not just a peeve
                          (Are the cooks turning out lousy chow or was it just one bad meal?)

2. Give your chain of command a chance to solve the problem
                          (MANY problems must be addressed to the chain of command for resolution anyway.)

3. Be honest and don't provide misleading information
                          (IGs will discover the truth quickly in most cases and there are penalties for knowingly providing false information.)

4. Keep in mind that IGs are not policy makers
                          (If a policy is flawed you can submit proposed change on a DA form 2028.)

5. Keep in mind that IGs can only recommend, not order a resolution
                          (Only Commanders can order; the role of the IG is to advise the Commander.)

6. Remember IGs can only resolve a case on the basis of fact
                          (Your claim that a supervisor has violated the rules doesn't make it fact. A claim must be supported with evidence.)

7. Don't expect instant action on your request... Be patient
                          (Investigations take time, and IGs tend to have heavy workloads.)

8. Be prepared to take “NO” for the answer
                          (In any case, “Yes” or “no,” the IG will explain why.)

Comment

I actually do some work in the office and look what I miss!

This is nothing that warrants AWOL. You will be marked a scumbag by all and something more politically correct by the brass.

Comment

You mention being in the ING. This would tell me that you're no longer assigned to that unit and they can no longer order clothing items or pay you.

BTW, Phantom had the best advice regarding the IG.

Comment

Working...
                              X