X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Girlfriend

I am a new member to this forum. Looking to share thoughts and experiences with the families of our deployed. My boyfriend is on his way over seas, and im getting very down. This will be the second tour for him and my first. I just wonder how long it takes to feel like me again. My family as well as his is very supportive and i know im not alone but i dont think they feel what im feeling. Im worried about the time between phone calls all the wondering and worrying that it will bring. Will it really feel like a year?????

Re: Army Girlfriend

Network with the Family Readiness Group for his unit. They will help as they are all going through the same. It's rough but doable.

Comment

Are you able to contact the readiness groups online? Being around alot of people is hard for me right now...

Comment

Originally posted by jess
        Are you able to contact the readiness groups online? Being around alot of people is hard for me right now...

Does he have a date for drill before he goes? I understand your concern about being around a lot of people. My wife is the exact same way. She doesn't like crowds or new people that much but loves me and my love for the service. You should be able to find out about FRG through his unit. Ask him to contact his supervisors (Sergeants) and get some info on how to contact them. If that's not available, ask him for information on his unit (locations, numbers, etc all help in Google searches). They do great things for the guys like give holiday meals, gifts for the kids, care packages for when they're abroad, and the like that make it a great part of the home support team. Plus, you'll find that many of them are of the same personality type as yourself and thus you'll make a bunch of great friends.

Comment

Hes actually already considered active right now and is out of state for a few weeks for additional training before he actually goes over seas. I am so very proud of what he does! Hes is an incredible soldier as well as a fantastic boyfriend. You are all so very brave to do what you do. Thank you so much for the information!

Comment

No Jess, Thank you, for being understanding and supportive of your soldier. There are ups and downs with being with a soldier. Keep up your outstanding attitude and your relationship will go far. Thanks for being there.

Comment

Be as strong and positive as you can be for him. It goes further than you think.

Comment

I am a new member to this forum. Looking to share thoughts and experiences with the families of our deployed. My boyfriend is on his way over seas, and im getting very down. This will be the second tour for him and my first. I just wonder how long it takes to feel like me again. My family as well as his is very supportive and i know im not alone but i dont think they feel what im feeling. Im worried about the time between phone calls all the wondering and worrying that it will bring. Will it really feel like a year?????
                Hi Jess.. My fiance' found a forum while I was away that you may find very helpful/comforting. She made several friends there, and it was very helpful to her...

http://armywivesforums.com/

It is not just for wives.. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend!

Comment

I just shipped a 76 dollar package today.....it weighed 6 pounds and it had cookies in it. So silly to me but anything for him. Any suggestions on what to send in care packages? Besides the obvious toiletries?

Comment

I just shipped a 76 dollar package today.....it weighed 6 pounds and it had cookies in it. So silly to me but anything for him. Any suggestions on what to send in care packages? Besides the obvious toiletries?
                    The Post Office has flat rate boxes, ask about them. You pay about $13 to ship them regardless of weight. There are a few different sizes, the $13 is the largest one.

Comment

Snacks are great to send along with magazines, books or some kind of reading material. One of the best packages I got from my wife oveseas as a box full of my favorite beef jerky.....and FHM Phillipines magazines.

Comment

Jess,

It's not silly at all. I can't tell you what it means to get packages from home. It's the effort and sense of conection the means the world to him.

I am on my fourth trip overseas and first as a husband and dad. My wife is like you in that she doesn't like to be around lots of people, especially those she is unfamiliar with.

Her strategy is to keep busy and load up her calender. It seems to work.

I agree with Steve. Keep the phone conversations light and avoid confrontations. We're told to do the same on our end. There are some things a couple can't fix on the phone from theater.

Please take time out to have fun when you can and keep your chin up. You are stronger than you think. That's one thing we get taught in the Army and unfortunately spouses don't get that. You aren't alone, others are going through the same.

Take Care.

Comment

Slim Jims, Starbursts, socks and Victoria Secret magazines

Lots of letters... lots and lots of letters.

Comment

Victoria Secret magazines huh...? Very silly I'd never upset him over the phone. nothing to be upset about, im so proud of him. He did mention beef jerky!! I'd like to thank you all soooooo very much for the words of encouragement. At first I felt so very small and unimportant because I'm just here going to work doing the same old boring thing while he's out there being so brave and strong. Today was my first ok day, smiled alot and it felt great. Your support is incredibly uplifting!!

Comment

Dont sweat it kid, most all of us here, have someone close to us deployed right now. Sometimes we seem tough and harsh, but will drop that in a heartbeat to take care of one another, doesnt matter if we know them on a personal level or not. Welcome to the family, we have big arms to reach out to one another. We are always here, no matter how the day goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X