Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Award eligible

Hey all,
    Ok, Ok, so I'm a Navy squid (E-8 Ret), now that you have stopped laughing I hope someone out there can answer a question for me. My father-in-law was in the NY ANG 1959-1966 and he went to basic at Fort Dix NJ and during his service he was called up during the race riots in NY in 64', would he be eligible for the National Defense Service medal?

He remembers getting a medal for the riots but I think it was the Aid to civil authorty medal or something like that. Any ideas, and yes we sent away for his records but you know how long that takes. Thanks in advance

Re: Award eligible

The NDSM is based on period of service, not participation in a specific campaign. I earned the NDSM because I was drilling during the Gulf War, even though I never left Virginia.

AR 600-8-22, para 2-10 describes the periods of time for which the NDSM is authorized. For the period indicated, he must have served on active duty to have earned the NDSM (please note that drilling reservists or Guardsmen earn the NDSM from 1990-1995, and 2001-present based on their drilling status, and need not have served on active duty to earn it).

Based on what you have described, he is ineligible for the NDSM. Whether NY issued a State award for his participation in the 1964 riots, I cannot answer.

If you're looking at doing a kindness to an old veteran, consider getting him a Cold War certificate.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM. Reason: Inactive Link

Comment

Thanks Colonel,
      I firgured as much but didn't know if they mobilized you back then for things like that riot, you're considered on active duty. I am building him a shadow/display box and have already bought a couple of Comemmerative medals including the cold war one for him. Thanks agian.

Comment

Originally posted by e8squid View Post
        Hey all,
        Ok, Ok, so I'm a Navy squid (E-8 Ret), now that you have stopped laughing...
        This former SCPO isn't laughing at all shipmate. Welcome!

Thank you Senior for remembering your Father-in-Law's service and I'm certain he'll love the shadow box.

Comment

Working...
        X