X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGIB Kicker and ROTC Kicker?

I have enlisted into the National Guard. The Kicker was not available when I was at MEPS. I just have some questions:

1) When I contract with ROTC and enter the SMP, I know I'll start receiving the ROTC stipend, but will I also start receiving some sort of Kicker? Or is the ROTC stipend considered my Kicker?

2) If I had received the Kicker, would it be replaced by the ROTC stipend once I contract with ROTC?

3) Is there anyway to get the Kicker even though it wasn't in my initial contract? I may be moving to another state for college, would it be possible to get a Kicker then?

Thanks

Re: MGIB Kicker and ROTC Kicker?

My son got a ROTC kicker but it had to be written into his contract and his contract signed and sent in. It took us 6 months to get his ROTC kicker straightened out.

Make sure when you sign your ROTC contract there is a provision for the kicker or you will not receive it.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTCMOM View Post
      My son got a ROTC kicker but it had to be written into his contract and his contract signed and sent in. It took us 6 months to get his ROTC kicker straightened out.

Make sure when you sign your ROTC contract there is a provision for the kicker or you will not receive it.
      So are you saying that when he Contracted with ROTC, he negotiated a ROTC Kicker into his contract? Was this Kicker in addition to the ROTC Stipend?

Comment

He is an SMP cadet so he got the GI Bill, ROTC kicker and the ROTC stipend, FTA (Federal Tuition Assistance) and a state National Guard Scholarship.

I don't have his paperwork with me at work but I know that all those items were written in either his enlistment paperwork or his ROTC contract.

The ROTC kicker was an additional amount added to his GI bill.

Comment

Ok. So when he enlisted he just got the GI Bill. And then when he contracted with ROTC he was able to start receiving the ROTC Kicker and the ROTC Stipend?

I was not able to get the GI Bill Kicker in my enlistment contract, and want to make sure that I can still get the ROTC Kicker when I contract with ROTC.

Comment

He received an annex K to dd form 4 which listed he was getting a kicker amount.

So if you do not receive one of those forms you don't get the kicker.

Comment

I looked at the form and think I understand.

But I'm still curious. Was he receiving the GI Bill Kicker before starting ROTC? Or did he only start receiving the Kicker after contracting with ROTC? And did he only get the Kicker because of his commitment to the Guard? Because I plan to go Active Duty.

Comment

I looked at the form again and it says you will stay NG for 6 years or you may have to repay the kicker. Nate is going active duty in May once he commissions so we will see what happens with that.

His battle buddy signed a Designated Guard Scholarship and the state will not release him to go active duty, he commissioned last May and has been trying to go active since that time.

Comment

Yeah if you take a National Guard Scholarship, you are usually obligated to commission into the Guard. But there may be ways around it. If not maybe he can switch to Active later on.

I'm starting to think that since I did not get the Kicker in my contract, that I may not get in during ROTC either. Because I think only Cadets committed to the Guard or Reserve get the Kickers, UNLESS they already had one. But I don't, so I may be in trouble. This is a huge deal, and a difference of around 4k each year for me. So I'm am hoping that I can still get the Kicker when I contract with ROTC. I think it differs per state, and per ROTC battalion. I'm hoping for the best.

I'm just kind of disappointed with my recruiter. I know I signed the contract voluntarily, but I wish he would of advised me to wait until the Kicker came back. Which it did a few weeks later.

I will contact the ROTC programs at my prospective schools to see if I can still get the Kicker when I contract.

Comment

Yes check with the ROTC recruiter and make sure you get whatever he promises you in writing. Speaking from experience here.

Another thing you want to make sure of is the OML and how that works. I know there were cadets that were very disappointed they did not get active or their branch choices based on how they were ranked on the OML. It sounds like the active cut off will be changing so make sure you are squared away on grades, pt, extra curricular, and prepared for LDAC.

My son did OSUT at Fort Knox and Air Assault at Fort Benning and both of those were a benefit to him. Take advantage of additional training when you get the opportunity it will make you a better Soldier and leader.

Ok stepping off of the mom soapbox now.

Comment

I actually just checked with one of my possible ROTC schools, and Great News, even though I didn't get the Kicker in my enlistment contract, I will still get the ROTC Kicker when I contract (extra 350 per month). I am going to also ask the other schools, but I assume it will be the same policy. If so then I will be very happy. I will still have to do without the Kicker for 1 year until I contract with ROTC, but that's much much better than going all 4 years with no Kicker. I think I'll be good.

Also, did he get Air Assault in his contract, or did he go through his Unit/ROTC? Just curious.

I will be attending Basic and AIT (which supposedly add OML points), and plan to get AT LEAST Airborne and Air Assault School done while in ROTC. I am a fairly good student, in-shape, and believe I will rank high on the OML. I plan to go Active, and expect to get at least one of my top three Branches. Anything less and I will be disappointed.

Comment

I don't believe he got extra points for doing basic and ait but it did help his performance at LDAC. There are a few ROTC websites that list the accessions process so you can look at them and see what they are looking for as far as points.

He got a guard slot for Air Assault so he got paid to do the training. He was slotted to go Airborne thru a ROTC slot but it was at a time where he had LDAC and summer classes going on so he put in that he was willing to do Airborne in his active duty packet.

Good for you that you are aiming high.

Comment

Oh ok. I'm hoping Basic and AIT will help me too, that's one of the many reasons I'm going this route.

I also forgot to mention that I will be doing the "Additional Duty Service Obligation"(ADSO...I think?) which increases your chances of getting your desired branch by adding years to your contract. And of course if you still don't get the desired branch then you don't owe the added years. But I'm hoping that will help as well.

I'm going to try to find out about the the last ROTC school tomorrow and if I will be able to get the ROTC Kicker when I contract. Like I stated earlier, the other 2 schools said I will be able to get the Kicker when I contract even though I don't have it in my enlistment contract. So I'm pretty happy with that, hopefully the last school will be the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X