X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Scholarship Mess

Background: I was an active non-contracted participant as an MS1 in ROTC. Finished one year, and received an Outstanding Cadet Award which unofficially equates too the top MS1. Didn't contract or receive a scholarship due to shortage on funds but finished application and necessary waivers. I had a waiver for two traffic violations (Speeding + Stop Sign) from high school days (2008.) Both approved.

Enlisted: Per advice of the enrollment officer, I enlisted in NG and expected to contract again through ROTC to override that enlistment contract. Went through 11B OSUT, received Honor Grad, received Airborne and graduated. GT Score: 126 and ASVAB: 92.

Past Month: Preparing paperwork and finding unit to SMP into once I officially sign a Dedicated National Guard Scholarship. Just put in all my papers and was asked to put in another waiver for an additional speeding ticket received in November of 2009.

Problem: Just received word that the PMS said I'm out due to her or higher up (not certain) not wanting to accept my waiver. In other words, I broke the law once and said sorry... and then broke it again... and this is unacceptable.

HELP!??
    Last edited by CadetSwan; November 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM.

Re: ROTC Scholarship Mess

obviously you need to quiz her to find out whose decision this is. Then after that, if you find out it is a local decision you might want to try a different university.

3 traffic tickets in 2 years, you never know. Btw, did you serve deferred adjudication or defensive driving for any of these tickets, or did you just plead guilty?

I know it's too late for you, but for anybody reading this, always try defensive driving and then deferred adjudication (sp?)

Comment

That's all I could think of too, find out who made this decision and ask if you can plead. Otherwise apply to a different school if that's feasible.

Semi-on topic: In my state, if you get two tickets within 12 months of one another, you automatically have to complete a driver re-education course within 90 days or your license will be suspended. I think California legislators would be wise to implement a similar law.
      Last edited by Rokovak; November 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
        I think California legislators would be wise
        Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

Would enrollment at another ROTC program work? Or a packet for NG OCS on the way?

Comment

Ok, first issue is that you "expected" to contract again through ROTC to override that enlistment contract. Bad juju.

Others gave some sound advice on the topic of trying another university and what not, but if I were you, this is what I would do... First off, you do not have to be contracted in ROTC to be a participant. Since you have already done the MSI year, go ahead and do the MSII year. Again, get that award and prove you are kick-***. Pay for school on Uncle Sam's dime using the FTA/STA plus anything else the school is kicking in. For example, I am a non-scholarship MSIII. I am contracted but ROTC isn't paying squat except for the stipend. When the MSII year is over, you will have the equivalent of an Associates, 2 full MS years plus OSUT done. That should be enough for any PMS to show that you are worth it. Again, using the FTA/STA (see www.virtualarmorycom), you won't need thier silly GRFD scholarship and that alone will make you glow like gold.....

Plus it opens your options wide up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
              Would enrollment at another ROTC program work? Or a packet for NG OCS on the way?
              I'm considering on doing a NG OCS Traditional Packet, do you know how hard it is to be accepted in Southern California?

Ok, first issue is that you "expected" to contract again through ROTC to override that enlistment contract. Bad juju.

Others gave some sound advice on the topic of trying another university and what not, but if I were you, this is what I would do... First off, you do not have to be contracted in ROTC to be a participant. Since you have already done the MSI year, go ahead and do the MSII year. Again, get that award and prove you are kick-***. Pay for school on Uncle Sam's dime using the FTA/STA plus anything else the school is kicking in. For example, I am a non-scholarship MSIII. I am contracted but ROTC isn't paying squat except for the stipend. When the MSII year is over, you will have the equivalent of an Associates, 2 full MS years plus OSUT done. That should be enough for any PMS to show that you are worth it. Again, using the FTA/STA (see www.virtualarmorycom), you won't need thier silly GRFD scholarship and that alone will make you glow like gold.....

Plus it opens your options wide up.
              I completely agree, it was a compete miscalculation on my part. Although the other 4-5 MSIs who did the same thing as me got their way and are actively in the program with scholarships now.

I considered that route, but my PMS warned me against it that it would not do any good. The rejection in waiver was apparently from higher up the COC. I am considering on a nearby campus, but I don't see the likelihood of it working out as it the nearest one is 1 hour away.

Comment

Working...
              X