X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Year Dedicated NG Scholarship question

I'm a High school senior interested in getting a 3 year NG scholarship. I read somewhere that as a senior i can apply for the scholarship and have it waiting for me. Is this true? Or do I have to wait til I'm in college to apply. Also if i use the scholarship to pay for room and board does it have to be on campus housing?

Re: 3 Year Dedicated NG Scholarship question

Anyone.....? I'd really like to know...

Comment

I'm not sure, but i'll give you a hit in hopes that someone else responds with the correct information for you

Comment

Well I talked to my recruiter and he said I'd have to wait til I get back from AIT to apply so I guess not.However I read a sticky by Major Ritchie on this forum that said I could apply as a Senior.So now I'm even more confused.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
          Well I talked to my recruiter and he said I'd have to wait til I get back from AIT to apply so I guess not.However I read a sticky by Major Ritchie on this forum that said I could apply as a Senior.So now I'm even more confused.
          You may wish to get your Recruiter's supervisor involved, because some of these finer points in ROTC can change (that sticky message is a few years old). Also, ensure that he answers the question you're asking, and that you ask precisely the question you want answered. Oftentimes you "can" do a number of things, but they may not make sense. Additionally, doing one thing usually means that you either must or can't do something else. Before you speak to your recruiter and his supervisor, make a list of what is most important to you: maximize money for school, maximize training opportunities, lock in a certain MOS or unit, minimizing time spent in training, or anything else. You may find that you can't get everything you want at once, so you need to prioritize.

This is where a great number of "my recruiter told me a lie" stories come from. An applicant wants a number of different things, and the recruiter can get any of them for him ... but getting one means that you give up something else (e.g., the MOS you want has no bonus, or the local unit five minutes from your house has the MOS you hate, etc.).

Comment

Another question if you could answer it Sir. I'm thinking of taking the Dedicated NG scholarship and using it to pay room and board.If I choose to use it that way do I get to choose whether I want to use it for on campus or off campus housing? I know there's a $10 per year limit on the room and board but if I could use it to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment that'd be way better than a dorm.

Comment

There is a methodology to use it to pay for off-campus housing. My recommendation is to stay on campus, if for no other reason than it'll be far less hassle to get it paid. The system is designed to cut large checks to schools, and not small checks to landlords. You're asking for trouble if you enter into the most exotic option.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sir! My only problem then is going to be finding a place to stay at during summer and winter breaks, but I guess I'll worry about that later.

Comment

you could stay with your National Guard buddies, you'll make lots of friends. Ahh, Fort Leonard Wood during the summer, enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X