Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to complete AIT BEFORE I go to college for the NG to pay for my education?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to complete AIT BEFORE I go to college for the NG to pay for my education?

I'm 17, female (not that it matters), senior year in high school, living in Pennsylvania, and enlisting sometime next week. I wanna go to college after BCT in the summer but my friend/big brother, a Cadet in the Army told me the Army won't pay for anything until I go to AIT. My question is is he right? Or will they "put a rush on me" as my recruiter told me, while I'm at basic, and I'll be able to come straight home in time to leave for college? He never mentioned that I'd absolutely have to do AIT before college to recieve the money for college, so I'm asking the soldiers here(:. Help?

Re: Do I have to complete AIT BEFORE I go to college for the NG to pay for my educati

You can receive Federal Tuition Assistance before you even attend basic training. You can start getting it as soon as you enlist. You wont get the GI Bill until you ahve completed AIT.

Comment

Re: Do I have to complete AIT BEFORE I go to college for the NG to pay for my educati

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      You can receive Federal Tuition Assistance before you even attend basic training. You can start getting it as soon as you enlist. You wont get the GI Bill until you ahve completed AIT.
      Be advised that federal TA has deadlines to apply for the next semester. If you enlist today, that doesn't mean you can draw the money tomorrow. If this is an important consideration, I recommend talking with your recruiter about those deadlines, and ensuring that you have enlisted many weeks prior to that deadline, just to be safe.

Comment

if your goal is to stay "on pace" with your peers, try this plan, I call it the flip-flop

1. take 12 hours of basic college courses in the summer from your local community college, right after HS graduation, and while you are doing that workout and get ready for basic.

2. go to basic and AIT back-to-back the day after summer school ends.(approx. August 15th) You will have plenty of MOSs to choose from, and your IET(initial entry training) will end approximately December 20th or so, depending upon MOS. (could end earlier, check the schedule)

You will be within 3 semester hours of your peers, you will have completed your IET before X-mas, and you will have gotten more out of basic than most people your age, because basic in the fall has less people, therefore smaller classes and less stress, and less stress because of the nicer weather. Also, you will be paid for your IET + your accumulated leave, so if you're in training for four months you would get paid for four months + 10 days, which is more money than you would have received had you done just basic in the summer.

It's a win, win, win. The only thing you would have to do is to make sure to make arrangements to pre-register for the spring semester following your IET. chances are you might be in AIT by then, and you have more freedom. You might be able to pre-register via computer at that time.

ha!, I thought of another reason, if you get home around Dec. 20th, everybody will be so happy just to see you, they won't expect a gift! Scratch that, that would be a good reason for a guy, maybe not so much for a girl.
        Last edited by 49thadband; October 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X