Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease Ageement/Utility Bill for BAH?

Hi all,

I had been under the impression that since I am married (i.e. have a dependent), and have provided all documentation relating to this (marriage certificate, spouse's Social Security Card etc), I will receive BAH while at Basic/AIT.

However, I was told today that I am REQUIRED to provide a copy of my lease agreement and utilities bill regardless of whether I have dependents or not, otherwise I will not be able to claim BAH while at Basic/AIT.

Could someone please clarify this for me? I could get the above, however since I am flying out to England tomorrow for 2 weeks it'll be a bit of a mad rush to try and get it copied and filed with the right person before I leave. I also don't currently pay any utilities on the property.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. When I previously enlisted into the Active Duty Coast Guard, I didn't have to provide any lease etc, and was paid BAH for the 4 weeks I was in...that was in 2008 though.

Re: Lease Ageement/Utility Bill for BAH?

While I don't have dependents, I also had to have a lease/utility bill. Even if you can't get them before you ship, as long as they are mailed to you while you're at OSUT, you can go to Battalion S-1 and file them there, and will receive back pay.

Comment

Well I had my lease and bills and wasnt able to get BAH or partial or whatever the heck it was/is. Which would you like, getting the documents or not receiving it? lol Sorry I didnt mean it. Okay maybe just a little but in a nice way? I did have them, went through all the paperwork when you arrive, asked DSs about it, went to Guard Liason..... couldnt get it. I'd be happy just getting it. I've never had civilian employers that paid me extra money for a job. Stinks you were misinformed but at least you can try to get it, if all else fails get it mailed to you once there and it can be given to you rectoactively. Its a pain to find the time and the Drill that will help you get it done, but very doable. Hooah!

Comment

Unfortunately, we've heard both sides regarding this issue and who has to/doesn't have to provide what.

Comment

Yea It's wierd. I've had to do both lease and utilities... While a soldier I know sent in a notarized letter saying he pays his dad rent and got full BAH lol.

Comment

I went ahead and got a copy of my lease, which is dated from May 1st of this year until May 1st next year. I don't pay utilities, but that is stated in the lease, and I'll make sure it's highlighted as I was advised to do at the briefing at RSP. I'm catching a flight back to the UK in a few hours, but if I can't get it faxed over by then, I'll fax it from the UK and make a long distance call to check it arrived and there's no problems.

At the end of the day, for my zip code, it's over an extra $1000/month tax free, so I'm definitely willing to jump through the hoops to get it, even when I'm on vacation!!

Comment

With a copy of my lease, notarized letter, copy of cashed checks and two bills to my address, I have never had an issue with getting BAH as a single soldier without dependents. It helps to be the most prepared with the most documentation in the room.

Make your life easier and avoid any confusion. I've seen people get BAH with a hand receipt that could've been from a pizza parlor, but I wouldn't want to leave $1,000/month to chance.
              Last edited by chd; September 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
                Hi all,

I had been under the impression that since I am married (i.e. have a dependent), and have provided all documentation relating to this (marriage certificate, spouse's Social Security Card etc), I will receive BAH while at Basic/AIT.

However, I was told today that I am REQUIRED to provide a copy of my lease agreement and utilities bill regardless of whether I have dependents or not, otherwise I will not be able to claim BAH while at Basic/AIT.

Could someone please clarify this for me? I could get the above, however since I am flying out to England tomorrow for 2 weeks it'll be a bit of a mad rush to try and get it copied and filed with the right person before I leave. I also don't currently pay any utilities on the property.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. When I previously enlisted into the Active Duty Coast Guard, I didn't have to provide any lease etc, and was paid BAH for the 4 weeks I was in...that was in 2008 though.
                Ok...heres the deal, if your married you do not have to provide a lease when you go to training. You'll get BAH w/dep regardless as long as you turn in your marriage license. Now, many people will tell you that it's better to just go ahead and bring everything(to include a lease and utility bill), and I cant say that is a terrible idea. But all of that is not necessary if you are married.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  Ok...heres the deal, if your married you do not have to provide a lease when you go to training. You'll get BAH w/dep regardless as long as you turn in your marriage license. Now, many people will tell you that it's better to just go ahead and bring everything(to include a lease and utility bill), and I cant say that is a terrible idea. But all of that is not necessary if you are married.
                  Ft Leonard Wood wouldn't accept a marriage license; they required a marriage certificate. I wanted to pull my hair out when they told me. I asked why multiple training sites accepted the license, and they just gave me that dirty look beurocrats give when someone questions their baseless rules.

Comment

Marriage certificate is needed. Typically, the bill is just fine and precisely what you anticipated, but occasionally the bill is way higher than you were used to. In fact, you could end up with a two hundred dollar bill when you were only expecting fifty dollars.

Comment

Thank you for reviving the topic movie star.

Comment

Working...
                      X