Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military service on your civilian resume...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military service on your civilian resume...

Fellow weekend warriors, how do you list your military experience on your civilian resume particularly when your MOS has nothing to do with your civilian career? My main question is how to best list or explain all of the ribbons and medals that are awarded and even certificates of achievement, PT patch, etc.

Messing around I came up with (a) just listing them all and (b) "Awarded sixteen ribbons or medals for conduct, professional development, commendation and campaign participation."

Any better ideas?

Re: Military service on your civilian resume...

It can or can't hurt you in getting a job. Only because some companies will not even consider you for an interview if your in the ANG.
    Yes, I know it's illegal for them not to hire/interview you based on that but there is no way for you to prove it.

If you know the company is a military friendly company then by all means put it on but if not then don't mention your in the ANG until your hired.

Also, only put stuff on that will be relevant to the job you are applying for and will be able to segue into the position if they should interview you.

GL

Comment

Aware of all of that... assuming that one chooses to list their military service (my personal experience is that I have been on Title 10 for 18 or the past 19 months and can't quite hide a gap like that) and cannot relate most parts of their military career to their civilian one (chose not to for a unique experience even if you can stretch some MP functions to relate to the world of financial analysis)...

Summarizing 31B OSUT and my GTMO vacation aren't the issue:

• Completed twenty weeks of basic combat and advanced military police training encompassing the operational functions of law and order, police intelligence, maneuver and mobility support, internment and resettlement and area security
      • Deployed for one year in support of Operation Enduring Freedom performing external security and detention operations as part of the Quick Reaction Force platoon
      • Possess secret security clearance

... it's all of these certificates of achievement, AAM's, ARCOM's, eight or so ribbons/medals you get just for showing up overseas, PT patch, expert weapons qualifications, best-looking and most-likely-to-be-a-General awards, etc. In reality, they mean nothing to me, but I think that they belong, in some capacity, on a resume.

Just looking for the best way to tie all of that together in a line or two... and what other soldiers use.

Comment

Understood.

Well, you can't leave out the Best Looking and Most Likely to be a General. LOL Those are gold.

But you don't want to include everything. Leave somethings out so that you can bring it up in the interview.

Also, you don't want to clutter your resume. Hiring managers skim through resumes looking for buzz words and key responsibilities and experiences that pertain to the position they are looking to fill. If your resume looks like War and Peace then the hiring manager won't even bother because he has about a hundred other resumes to look at.

Use buzz words. Instead of saying Possess secret security clearance. Say Active secret security clearance. Believe me, it makes a difference.

Certificates of achievements are good. It shows you are dependable and goal oriented.

Leave the ribbons out unless it has something to do with the position you are applying for.

GL

Comment

I never did awards. I don't think anything other than educational achievements on a resume would benefit you. And for me, it just doesn't feel right putting them on one. It just looks like an attempt to inflate. If your military experience isn't directly related to the job, they will just pass over the details anyway.

With regard to experience in GTMO, yes it is challenging to try and word all that. I had to do the same thing on my resume. If I find mine, I'll show you what I put.
          Last edited by SteveLord; September 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
            cannot relate most parts of their military career to their civilian one...

• Completed twenty weeks of basic combat and advanced military police training encompassing the operational functions of law and order, police intelligence, maneuver and mobility support, internment and resettlement and area security
            • Deployed for one year in support of Operation Enduring Freedom performing external security and detention operations as part of the Quick Reaction Force platoon
            • Possess secret security clearance
            Disagree.

Your telling me that financial analysis doesn't require detailed knowledge and practical experience dealing with the human condition; understanding how personal emotions and individual perceptions affect the decision making process; making tough decisions based on prior training and instinct?

Here are some suggestions:

Trustworthy. Granted access to SECRET information based on a favorable background investigation completed on XXXXXX.

Dedicated. Able to successfully operate in an uncontrolled environment requiring strict adherence to rules and regulations that ensure the protection and safety of coworkers and detainees alike. Experience working extended hours in an uncontrolled environment that required putting the basic needs and welfare of others ahead of my own.

Expeditionary. Not afraid to venture outside my personal comfort zone and experience new things. Volunteered for military service and received advanced training in Military Police functions. Deployed overseas in support of current military operations.

Clearly this is vague and written without showing your affiliation or personal views. GITMO...man, a very sensitive issue on the outside, as are refs to detainees.

What if your prospective employer or new boss is anti-military or against the war (I just assumed since you ref'd finance previously)?

Best of luck.

SFC L

Comment

He needs to put what his actual duties were, not over glorify it with soldier of the century type stuff.

Comment

I agree with SteveLord, on that one.

I could put Anti-Terrorism expert, I could get a gig as a Nanny, didnt you see The Pacifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                  I agree with SteveLord, on that one.

I could put Anti-Terrorism expert, I could get a gig as a Nanny, didnt you see The Pacifier?
                  You'd sly dog....You'd be hitting on those mom's in PTA or at the park There always a back story...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                    He needs to put what his actual duties were, not over glorify it with soldier of the century type stuff.
                    Agree with this. Don't set your resume up to look like a rehash of the seven army values.

Comment

Don't spend too much time on it. Your employer will likely not spend much time looking/caring about your specific military experience if it does not directly relate to the job applied for.

Comment

Also keep in mind, different things are important for different recruiters. If you have a hard worked on resume, thats clean and crisp. Then by all means use it. After a while if you are not getting some call backs, then tune it up base don the suggestions.

Comment

I disagree with both previous points. Spend the time, refine the resume..., if you have no other job experience, what are you going to put on your resume? There is a way to word anything/manipulate words, as the SFC mentioned (spot on). Secondly, don't focus on duties, accentuate accomplishments, no matter how insignificant you may think. Military experience is invaluable, especially compared to civ job experience.

Don't spend too much time on it. Your employer will likely not spend much time looking/caring about your specific military experience if it does not directly relate to the job applied for.

Comment

Originally posted by richierich
                            I disagree with both previous points. Spend the time, refine the resume..., if you have no other job experience, what are you going to put on your resume? There is a way to word anything/manipulate words, as the SFC mentioned (spot on). Secondly, don't focus on duties, accentuate accomplishments, no matter how insignificant you may think. Military experience is invaluable, especially compared to civ job experience.
                            That's not exactly what I meant. I'm referring to putting glitter and glam to where it makes a resume looks like it was dressed up. Exaggerating certain things is not honest and an employer will see right through it.

Your resume isn't what you sell to an employer, its yourself...and it's during the interview.

Everything on that resume you should be able to tell them face to face. You would try and pass off that bull?

Comment

Exaggerating certain things is not honest and an employer will see right through it...You would try and pass off that bull?
                              Ranger,

IMO, there's a huge difference between "exaggerating" military experiences and "translating" them.

I believe the random civilian with zero military experience, equates military + detainee = Abu Ghraib & GITMO, which both have been highlighted in a very negative light by the main stream media.

OEF & QRF to a civvie? (cricket, cricket, cricket). I live very close to a Post in MD and you cannot tell at all that we are at war...let alone at war on several fronts!

I fully agree that a prospective employee should not try to come across as something they are not. I believe in this 100%: "I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some."

I also agree that a resume should avoid being "bedazzled". The current job market is tough: wear a Pro-tec.

Comment

Working...
                              X