Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Money for bills while going to school full time

Originally posted by RSP NCO
    Spoken like a true american...borrow, borrow, borrow.
    No, the true american is "instant gratification." Education's an investment, whereas cash in hand is NOW. So tempting...
    There is no need to drag a degree out 8 years. You can work full time and complete school. Will it be easy? No. But that doesnt mean you cant do it.
    Yep, you're agreeing with me. If you can do it, great. If you can't, and the poster here is asking the question on the assumption he can't, his choice is to delay the training that leads to higher pay, or take out a short term loan. 10 minutes and a piece of paper shows him which is the smarter option.
    Before this goes on and spirals out of control, I can see that we are clearly going to have to agree to disagree.
    No, no spiraling. We're probably in agreement. Work as you go to pay for training if you can. Take out loans if you can't.

The only disagreement I have is to avoid taking courses to improve your career because you want to avoid making investments at any cost. If folks want to jump on that sword, they can bleed themselves to a late retirement...
    Last edited by notyetdead; August 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
      If you're in IT, you're going to hit a ceiling that you can only get past with either a degree (if you're programming or management) or training courses (if you're technician-type). If you can get work to sponsor it, that's great. OJT is the best, but limiting.
      To avoid getting into an extended debate, I will disagree and leave it at that. And luckily...I'm not in need of a career counselor.
      Last edited by SteveLord; August 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I will have to agree with Notdeadyet, any debt for education is an investment that can pay back more than any interest.

Comment

Working...
        X