Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia TA and GI Bill

Hello,
    I am currently Active duty schedule to ETS in 6 months. At my ACAP workshop I was told that you can use the GI Bill (post 911 or regular) in conjunction with the state 100% TA. I am a little confused about that. Basically how does that work? I will want to use the GI Bill because of the housing allowance and book stipend but if Virginia is paying for the tuition then what? IS one paying for the balance of will I be collecting two checks for the same thing?

Re: Virginia TA and GI Bill

Originally posted by Ms.dolo
    Hello,
    I am currently Active duty schedule to ETS in 6 months. At my ACAP workshop I was told that you can use the GI Bill (post 911 or regular) in conjunction with the state 100% TA. I am a little confused about that. Basically how does that work? I will want to use the GI Bill because of the housing allowance and book stipend but if Virginia is paying for the tuition then what? IS one paying for the balance of will I be collecting two checks for the same thing?
    You can't double dip like that. You can use both but you will not collect a refund in that sense. However any pell grants or loans can generate a refund if the tuition is paid by VA or TA. If you plan on pursuing more than a Bachelors degree I would suggest saving the GI Bill for the more expensive credential, as TA is capped at 4500 a year for Federal money plus any state bennies, however either benfit is endless.

Comment

Tuition assistance pays tuition only, whereas GI Bill pays cash to you for all education expenses (tuition that TA doesn't cover, fees, books, materials, etc.).

You never see the TA money, that pays directly to the school. The GI Bill money goes directly into your bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        Tuition assistance pays tuition only, whereas GI Bill pays cash to you for all education expenses (tuition that TA doesn't cover, fees, books, materials, etc.).

You never see the TA money, that pays directly to the school. The GI Bill money goes directly into your bank account.
        In the case of Chapter 33 the housing, and book stipend money comes directly to your bank account and the tuition money goes right to the school.

In the case of all other GI Bill chpaters, a set amount, regardless of cost of tutiion comes directly to you, in your bank account.

Access your educational goals and see which benefits are more lucrative given your siutaiton. If you qualify for more than one chapter of the GI Bill, you may use 48 months of benefits. (36 of one and 12 of another)
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; August 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

You guys are so helpful. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
          X