X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP then contracting.............

I just want to make sure what I am thinking is essentially correct....thank you for the answers in advance.

I am currently waiting on waiver papers which should be in very soon. After, I am going to MEPS and enlisting as a 35F, then I will go to Basic and AIT. When I get back to my unit in Las Vegas, Nevada, I will be going to Honolulu, Hawaii to contract in the ROTC at the university there. Once I contract as a cadet in the ROTC, I will be officially in the SMP and just have to do some paperwork for that. Once I complete my degree and ROTC, I will be going to Officer basic training. From there...........

If there is anything wrong with what I just said, please inform me. Also, if you could finish after the OBT thing, that would be great.

Thank you for the help and for serving,
    Ryan

Re: SMP then contracting.............

Looks like you got this gist of it down. Remeber a few things

A - If you take a bonus for your MOS, plan on paying it back (not 100% sure on this but 99.997%)

B - if you take the Guaranteed Reseve Force Duty (GRFD) scholarship for ROTC, you are bound to go NG or AR. Otherwise, you can compete for a Active slot. FTA and school relations with ROTC may/mayt not cover it all, so find that out before you jump on board. Which is something you may/may not want.

C - After OBC, you will get your assignment. Then it's off to LT-land to play. Enjoy!

Comment

ok so i do have a handle on it then. so there is no more training after OBC? There isn't any BOLC or whatever that I keep hearing?

I know it won't cover all of my expenses, I can have that covered. The state of which I am going to school for has tuition re-embersment for passing grades, so, basically, once I pass all my classes, the school pays me back for what came out of my pocket.

I don't plan on taking the scholarship. I wish I could go active duty in the NG but I hear that is pretty difficult as a new officer or something. True? False?

Also, I **** to assume, but I am assuming that you have no control over your job after you get your degree? I thought I read/heard something about if you are a great cade (great GPA and great PT scores) that you can possibly get the job you want.

Thank you for the quick post

Comment

Originally posted by anxious
        ok so i do have a handle on it then. so there is no more training after OBC? There isn't any BOLC or whatever that I keep hearing?

I know it won't cover all of my expenses, I can have that covered. The state of which I am going to school for has tuition re-embersment for passing grades, so, basically, once I pass all my classes, the school pays me back for what came out of my pocket.

I don't plan on taking the scholarship. I wish I could go active duty in the NG but I hear that is pretty difficult as a new officer or something. True? False?

Also, I **** to assume, but I am assuming that you have no control over your job after you get your degree? I thought I read/heard something about if you are a great cade (great GPA and great PT scores) that you can possibly get the job you want.

Thank you for the quick post
        After you commission, you go to BOLCIII which is essesentially your OBC. It's where you learn your branch job and what not. After that, you may have some branch dependant training (AB, Sapper, AAS, etc) but that is special.

FTA (Federal Tuition Assist) is open to all NG. It *should* pay for most if not all. If not, that is why they have student loans and your reimbursement should cover it.

If you are referring to AGR, then yes, it is hard to get on as a officer in general. Ltc Ritchie would be someone to give you an opinion on that.

Upon commission, you are assinged a branch, component and base (if applicable). There is some determination by your school cadre. They make the decisions based on your GPA, PT Scores and how you did at LDAC. You do great in all, you can pretty much write your initial ticket. You **** at all and welcome to (insert whatever branch you think *****).

Comment

My contract specifically states that SLRP is considered Null and Void if you accept an SMP/ROTC contract. Just keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
            My contract specifically states that SLRP is considered Null and Void if you accept an SMP/ROTC contract. Just keep that in mind.

Good point to make.

Comment

ah wow i did not know slrp would be dead when i did smp...soooo thats ok though but since i will be in the military, the interest on federal loans will not be charged. i read that on the website or on a packet or something, so at least i will only be paying back what i had taken and not what i taken and the interest.

ah but here is a question, if i get slrp, use it when i first enlist (only have 8k in student loans) will they make me pay them back right away when i sign up for rotc?

Comment

The details about whether or not any of your bonuses (including SLRP, and the Cash Incentive) will need to be recouped are included in the appropriate Addendum.

I will QUOTE from mine (Your contract , if you don't have one on hand can usually be found here: https://www.hrc.army.mil/portal/ , which requires an AKO login).

In my own contract, the Document is called NGB FORM 600−7−5−R−E, and under Section V, "Termination Without Recoupment" is covered (There is No "Termination With Recoupment" section of this form for me).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X