Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

$4500 from National but how much from Texas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $4500 from National but how much from Texas?

I know that the National governement provides $4500 in tuition assistance. Is this only one semester or both semesters? And how much does the state of Texas provide in college money not counting GI Bill or ROTC or anything like that.

Re: $4500 from National but how much from Texas?

Originally posted by c.reel22
    I know that the National governement provides $4500 in tuition assistance. Is this only one semester or both semesters? And how much does the state of Texas provide in college money not counting GI Bill or ROTC or anything like that.

Wow I don't even live in Texas and I found this... http://www.txarng.com/HTML/tuition.html

Comment

disclaimer - not a recruiter. I believe LTC Ritchie said to take STA first, then FTA.

Depending upon your living arrangements, you might even be in a situation where you don't have to take your G.I. bill right now as well.

I'm speaking specifically of a situation where you are living at home, your tuition and fees are all covered and you have virtually no expenses. (your generous parents would be allowing you to live rent free).

You could then save the G. I. bill for more expensive situations, example a Master's Degree, or even just the last two or three years of your Bachelor's Degree.

Double check with your state education officer, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to use up that G. I. bill if you choose to use it later.

Comment

The reason I ask is because I will be attending Texas A&M University and at a cost of $20,000 a year I need as much help as possible

Comment

well, if you're in-state the STA and FTA will cover the tuition and fees. All you need to pay for are room, board, books, supplies, laundry, etc.

If you're a fully qualified soldier(completed basic and AIT), your GI bill will probably cover almost all of that stuff, depending upon how well you live.

My wife went to A & M, I visited a long time ago, they had some real cheap dorms,(of course this was back when almost every campus had one el cheapo dorm with no A/C).

Comment

Also, be aware, in some situations if you Take Federal TA you are NOT eligible to receive State TA.
            Last edited by SteveGuard; July 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
              Also, be aware, in most situations if you Take Federal TA you are NOT eligible to receive State TA.
              Where is that? You can and definately need to take both in our state if you want 100% tuition.
              Last edited by HR NCO; July 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                Where is that? You can and definately need to take both in our state if you want 100% tuition.
                I was unable to take the Federal TA and the State TA in NJ.

As I'm not a recruiter, things may have changed - and as with anything else in the Guard probably varies by state.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                  I was unable to take the Federal TA and the State TA in NJ.

As I'm not a recruiter, things may have changed - and as with anything else in the Guard probably varies by state.
                  You wouldnt need to use it together in NJ. You guys get "tuition waved" at your schools.

Comment

Working...
                  X