Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used FTA for a M.A.; can I use it for a J.D. also?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used FTA for a M.A.; can I use it for a J.D. also?

I used FTA for my M.A. Would I be able to use it to help (not much, but every little bit helps) pay for Law School? I'm a little confused on whether you can use FTA for a M.A. and a first professional degree or a M.A. or a first professional degree. Thanks.

Re: Used FTA for a M.A.; can I use it for a J.D. also?

Originally posted by chd
    I used FTA for my M.A. Would I be able to use it to help (not much, but every little bit helps) pay for Law School? I'm a little confused on whether you can use FTA for a M.A. and a first professional degree or a M.A. or a first professional degree. Thanks.
    In a word, no.

Your State TA may be more cooperative, so look into that.

You could also mooch two free years from ROTC, as long as you're willing to swallow the red pill and enter the Matrix.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    AR 621-5
    5–6. Use of tuition assistance
    TA is authorized for—
    b. No more than one credential from each of the following levels:
    (1) HSD.
    (2) Associate.
    (3) Baccalaureate.
    (4) Master’s or first professional degree (for example, Juris Doctor (J.D.) law degree, Master of Architecture, Master of Business Administration, Masters in Social Work, and so forth).

5–7. Tuition assistance prohibitions
    TA funds will not be authorized for—
    d. Courses leading to a lower or lateral postsecondary credential (except as noted for certification, certificate, or licensure in para 5–7dand for state education credential as described in para 5–6e) as described in the current Directory of Postsecondary Institutions, volumes I and II, published by the Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. First professional degrees or certificates and graduate degrees or certificates will be considered equivalent.

Comment

Thank you, Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        You could also mooch two free years from ROTC, as long as you're willing to swallow the red pill and enter the Matrix.
        Followed the link and saw the following:

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        To use an ROTC scholarship, you must complete your degree and commission prior to your 30th birthday. This requirement is based in federal law, so no waiver or exception is possible. Non-scholarship cadets can commission older, however.
        How much older, exactly? I'm not foolish enough to swallow the pill (I'm looking at the WO route, myself), but I know someone who might be. She already has a BA, looking to do an MA, thinking about going the officer route with an eye on Medical Services Corps (admin). However, she's mid-thirties. What's the limit - state dependent?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco
          ....However, she's mid-thirties. What's the limit - state dependent?
          If she goes through ROTC, then States have nothing to do with her commissioning. ROTC really doesn't want to commission anyone much past 32-ish, and that's usually with prior service. Additionally, she'd need to spend at least two (if not four) years as a full-time student to go through ROTC's program. For an adult, that's usually not realsitic.

For best results, she should contact her State's AMEDD Strength Manager or OSM. Depending on her degree and background, she may be eligible for direct appointment in Medical Service Corps. If not, then traditional OCS awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
            You should look into states that hve some sort of tuition waiver for guardsman. New Jersy is a great example. All NJ Guardsman go to school wth zero tuition at state schools. You could attend Rutgers Law.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1
              You should look into states that hve some sort of tuition waiver for guardsman. New Jersy is a great example. All NJ Guardsman go to school wth zero tuition at state schools. You could attend Rutgers Law.

http://www.militaryfriendlyschools.c...s-for-veterans

NJ isn't the only one. There are some really good benefits out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
                http://www.militaryfriendlyschools.c...s-for-veterans

NJ isn't the only one. There are some really good benefits out there.
                It doesn't have anything to do with the specific school. It's a stae law that says all guardsman attend class free. Illinois has the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                X