X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College First?

I have a few questions on college first, do you get to pick you MOS? (I want to be a MP) When does you clock start ticking? What educational benefits are included? Does Kentucky offer college first? Could I take ROTC classes? I really want to join the Guard for the training and just to serve my country. So I might as well get some educational benefits If I do not get college first and contract for 6 would I get the same benefits except deployments of course? If I just join for 3 years what benefits would I get? PLEASE HELP THANK FOR THE ADVICE

Re: College First?

One of the recruiters here (Probably SSgt Tischner) will correct me if i'm wrong, but here's what I know about College First, since it's something I had in my contract last year.

I believe College First is only for critical MOSs, in fact, im not even sure if it's offered anymore, a recruiter would be able to answer that. Yes, you can take ROTC classes, in fact, once you complete basic and AIT, you are eligible to go straight to junior level ROTC classes, at least you are at the university I am attending.

Should get the same benefits if you contract for 6, I know my college first came with its own kicker, which is an extra $350/mo for my GI Bill, and a bonus. Enlisting for 3 will get you basically nothing, if you want benefits, you're pretty much pigeonholed into a 6x2.

Also, be advised that you are ALLOWED to waive your college first status to go on a deployment, without it affecting anything, you'll pick it right back up when you get home.

Comment

Where in KY do you live. I just enlisted in the KY Nat Guard out of louisville.

I wasn't offered college first but am doing SMP ROTC. I have done 2 years off college at UofL and when I get back from AIT I will contract ROTC and finish my nursing degree.

Comment

I had a question, If you contract ROTC and your unit deploys can you go with them even though ROTC contracted cadets are non deployable or would doing so breach your ROTC contract.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSoldier2012
          I have a few questions on college first, do you get to pick you MOS? (I want to be a MP) When does you clock start ticking? What educational benefits are included? Does Kentucky offer college first? Could I take ROTC classes? I really want to join the Guard for the training and just to serve my country. So I might as well get some educational benefits If I do not get college first and contract for 6 would I get the same benefits except deployments of course? If I just join for 3 years what benefits would I get? PLEASE HELP THANK FOR THE ADVICE

College First has not been aviable in over 2 years.

There is no college first anymore

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
            I had a question, If you contract ROTC and your unit deploys can you go with them even though ROTC contracted cadets are non deployable or would doing so breach your ROTC contract.

Yes you can elect to go on the deployment.

As you stated if you are contracted you are non deployable, but you are SMP with the guard, (if you are contracted) and that means the guard will hold up thier part if you hold up yours when you return.

But I would not recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew.tischner
              Yes you can elect to go on the deployment.

As you stated if you are contracted you are non deployable, but you are SMP with the guard, (if you are contracted) and that means the guard will hold up thier part if you hold up yours when you return.

But I would not recommend it.
              Actually, while I was working for the NG at a ROTC program I was told they could not deploy. The non deployability of a contracted cadet isn't waived. If you leave to deploy you will have to quit ROTC, and that opens another can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
                Actually, while I was working for the NG at a ROTC program I was told they could not deploy. The non deployability of a contracted cadet isn't waived. If you leave to deploy you will have to quit ROTC, and that opens another can of worms.

Thats just not true. ROTC lets you take up to a year break while still technically remaining in the program for even small things to get your grades up.

Also there are 5 year programs like engineering to graduate where they do not even show up the 5th year except for things here and their.

So bottom line is it can be worked out within the ROTC to take a year off with no ill effects to the soldier. You do not need to quit ROTC. You can deploy if you want.

Comment

Working...
                X