X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going with the SMP - A Question

I am college student currently in the process enlisting with the National Guard (through the SMP). [I am to begin my MS-1 semester with the Army ROTC this coming Fall.] I've met with a local recruiter and he explained to me the two primary scholarship options associated with the SMP —both of which seem very promising. One thing that was not mentioned to me, however, was whether or not there is any medical coverage associated with either of the scholarships. Like many students, I am presently uninsured and therefore am curious as to whether or not this has any bearing over any of this.

If anyone has any insight into this matter, I would very much appreciate it. [In any case, I intend on talking with my recruiter about it this coming week.]

Great forum, by the way. Glad to be on here.

Re: Going with the SMP - A Question

Originally posted by Acuna
    I am college student currently in the process enlisting with the National Guard (through the SMP). [I am to begin my MS-1 semester with the Army ROTC this coming Fall.] I've met with a local recruiter and he explained to me the two primary scholarship options associated with the SMP —both of which seem very promising. One thing that was not mentioned to me, however, was whether or not there is any medical coverage associated with either of the scholarships. Like many students, I am presently uninsured and therefore am curious as to whether or not this has any bearing over any of this.

If anyone has any insight into this matter, I would very much appreciate it. [In any case, I intend on talking with my recruiter about it this coming week.]

Great forum, by the way. Glad to be on here.
    great choice i plan on going the same rout as you very soon, and indeed there is coverage through SMP because your technically signing as a guard but remember you only get guard benefits when you sign SMP the scholarship has nothing to do with medical only college funds, now it varies from state to state talk to your recruiter he should have a list of rates but i belie in California for me its only about 18 a month but like i said it varies.

Comment

The scholarships themselves have nothing to do with health insurance.

Any drilling Guardsman, however, may sign up for Tricare Reserve Select, which is a subsidized health insurance for Guardsmen (and families). For you as an individual, the rates are less than $50/month.

Comment

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I really appreciate it.

I just got through with the ASVAB last week. Haven't heard back, insofar as results are concerned —but I suspect that this has to do with my lagging behind in my paperwork. Does anyone know how quickly my trip to MEPS will be scheduled after I hear back?

Comment

a week after you took the ASVAB? You probbbably want to give the recruiter a call and get your score.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
            Any drilling Guardsman, however, may sign up for Tricare Reserve Select...
            Well, not any drilling Guardsman.

I'm a federal employee when I'm not in uniform, and we are not allowed to use Tricare Reserve Select. We are 'forced' to select from the federal health plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco

I'm a federal employee when I'm not in uniform, and we are not allowed to use Tricare Reserve Select. We are 'forced' to select from the federal health plans.
              which federal is better then TRS, is it not? (overall, I know insurances vary )

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco

Same boat here. From what I've read we definetly have better dental coverage if you got that, but the rest depends on your plan. I went with GEHA because of low premiums. Once I had to actually use it for an extended hospital stay... i was regretting that choice. Not sure what I would have paid under TRS but my hospital stay was billed at about $35,500 and I will be getting a bill for about $3000 which is the uncovered portion

Comment

I'm actually low enough on the GS totem pole that my income qualifies me for coverage in the VA medical system. Since I only very rarely go in to see a doctor (last time was to get a doc to fill out some papers I needed for NG stuff), this is just a 'catastrophic' fallback.

None of the fed health plans are terribly appetizing, but for a single soldier, the TRS is more affordable.

I was looking at the HDHP through Aetna, since I am in relatively good health. I would get back about half of the premium into a HSA, which has a tremendous amount of flexibility (you can legitimately use it for things like buying over the counter medication). After I get married, a federal health plan will definitely outperform TRS, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                    a week after you took the ASVAB? You probbbably want to give the recruiter a call and get your score.
                    Just took care of it. He was waiting for me to finish my Path to Honor application before giving me the score. As it turns out I got a 70 on the ASVAB, which I assume is at least relatively decent. Not sure what relevance that will have for someone doing SMP, but I hope some good will come of it.

I should be hearing back tomorrow, as far as the application goes. I'm still wondering how long it will take to be scheduled to head over to MEPS and how long thereafter it will take before I head out to basic. [Naturally, I understand that the latter is conditional —based upon how everything turns out at MEPS.] There is a certain significance to this, as I need to know whether or not I should drop some of my Summer C courses before they start.

Comment

Working...
                    X