Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army College funds+ outside$?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Army College funds+ outside$?

    So i was planning on joining the ARNG and i live in California now i know that ARNG gives 4500 for enlisted plus GI and,Kicker now my biggest question is can you receive the 4500 and also receive other sources Like scholarships and grants or even FAFSA? or will the army prevent me from receving state and private funds ,just because 4500 plus a little extra wont really cover 100 %of school,
    any feed back is welcomed thank you.

  • #2
    Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

    I'm in the process of finding that out myself. I have used the Federal TA and GI Bill but now I'm looking at taking another type of cert. I have heard things about FAFSA and something called the Pell Grant. If I find anything out first I'll let you know, please do the same.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

      Originally posted by webbd30@aol.com
      So i was planning on joining the ARNG and i live in California now i know that ARNG gives 4500 for enlisted plus GI and,Kicker now my biggest question is can you receive the 4500 and also receive other sources Like scholarships and grants or even FAFSA? or will the army prevent me from receving state and private funds ,just because 4500 plus a little extra wont really cover 100 %of school,
      any feed back is welcomed thank you.
      I used TA, state EAP, got state grants, and took out student loans. I got about 4000 a semester back from the college because of overpayment.

      I know another soldier who did the same thing and then reenlisted for 6 years and got Student Loan repayment as part of it and got the Guard to pay back those student loans that he took out that he didn't really even need. All Legit!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

        Originally posted by kgrill
        I'm in the process of finding that out myself. I have used the Federal TA and GI Bill but now I'm looking at taking another type of cert. I have heard things about FAFSA and something called the Pell Grant. If I find anything out first I'll let you know, please do the same.
        yes i know about both programs and thats what im hoping i can use help me out as soon as i hear anything u will b the first to know

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

          Originally posted by SGTHess
          I used TA, state EAP, got state grants, and took out student loans. I got about 4000 a semester back from the college because of overpayment.

          I know another soldier who did the same thing and then reenlisted for 6 years and got Student Loan repayment as part of it and got the Guard to pay back those student loans that he took out that he didn't really even need. All Legit!!!
          so it is possible to use other funds plus the army 4500? If im reading this correct, that sounds great,

          One other question, if i go ROTC can i apply for SLRP before going into college?

          and sorry but what is EAP?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

            Originally posted by webbd30@aol.com
            so it is possible to use other funds plus the army 4500? If im reading this correct, that sounds great,

            One other question, if i go ROTC can i apply for SLRP before going into college?

            and sorry but what is EAP?
            I don't know anything about ROTC. Yes you can use any other available funds with FTA.

            EAP is Educational Assistance Program, but I don't think CA offers it? I think I read something like that? Here in PA they pay 100% tuition to a state school or the amount equivalent to that to a private school in the state.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

              Originally posted by SGTHess
              I don't know anything about ROTC. Yes you can use any other available funds with FTA.

              EAP is Educational Assistance Program, but I don't think CA offers it? I think I read something like that? Here in PA they pay 100% tuition to a state school or the amount equivalent to that to a private school in the state.
              yea i believe "BROKE" cali dosnt offer it, thats why im considering going to college out of state, but just have to figure out what im going to do about my SMP workout and how i will do it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                Federal Tuition Assistance pays the school, not you. If you earn an academic or sports or ROTC scholarship, and thus have no tuition bill, then FTA won't pay anything, since there's nothing to pay.

                GI Bill (and Kicker) is cash money in your bank account, because it's not limited to tuition. You can spend that legally on books, supplies, fees, materials, equipment, and related educational expenses.

                ROTC Stipend and drill pay are cash money in your bank account, with no restriction on spending.


                My advice: Don't be too clever by half. Take the money for which you are eligible, and use it for its intended purpose. People get real twitchy when it comes to money. You'll never get prosecuted for misuse of people's time. You'll rarely get prosecuted for misuse of equipment. If you misuse money, however, the gubmint flips out. Get creative with your own money, not with taxpayer money.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                  Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                  Federal Tuition Assistance pays the school, not you. If you earn an academic or sports or ROTC scholarship, and thus have no tuition bill, then FTA won't pay anything, since there's nothing to pay.

                  GI Bill (and Kicker) is cash money in your bank account, because it's not limited to tuition. You can spend that legally on books, supplies, fees, materials, equipment, and related educational expenses.

                  ROTC Stipend and drill pay are cash money in your bank account, with no restriction on spending.


                  My advice: Don't be too clever by half. Take the money for which you are eligible, and use it for its intended purpose. People get real twitchy when it comes to money. You'll never get prosecuted for misuse of people's time. You'll rarely get prosecuted for misuse of equipment. If you misuse money, however, the gubmint flips out. Get creative with your own money, not with taxpayer money.
                  well i planned on using all the money i get for school every dime even GI bills if i get it, i just know that 4500 wont be enough for it all and i want to get more help/money from others besides the military if possible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                    to the OP: If you are living on campus, I highly recommend becoming an RA after you've lived in a dorm for two semesters. All of the RAs I knew were getting a free room, and just working the desk.

                    Think about it, no commute, no taxes to pay on the "job", because if they do it right, they pay for the room, they don't pay a salary. Flexible hours working at the desk.

                    Some guys managed to study while working the desk also.

                    Some other experts on this forum recommend work-study also.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                      In California, apply for both the Pell Grant, and the CAL Grant. I got both, plus my GI Bill and kicker.

                      Also, look into the VA Work Study program. It pays minimum wage, tax-free, non-reportable income (ie, no taxes and you don't report it on financial aid applications either) for up to 100 hours a month. So that's....$725 a month? All we did was answer phone and make coffee at the local Vet Center, and then got paid to study in-between.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                        Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                        Federal Tuition Assistance pays the school, not you. If you earn an academic or sports or ROTC scholarship, and thus have no tuition bill, then FTA won't pay anything, since there's nothing to pay.

                        GI Bill (and Kicker) is cash money in your bank account, because it's not limited to tuition. You can spend that legally on books, supplies, fees, materials, equipment, and related educational expenses.

                        ROTC Stipend and drill pay are cash money in your bank account, with no restriction on spending.


                        My advice: Don't be too clever by half. Take the money for which you are eligible, and use it for its intended purpose. People get real twitchy when it comes to money. You'll never get prosecuted for misuse of people's time. You'll rarely get prosecuted for misuse of equipment. If you misuse money, however, the gubmint flips out. Get creative with your own money, not with taxpayer money.
                        In addition to the facts provided by the LTC. Yes you can receive grants and loans on top of the tuition assistance. There is nothing against doing that. If you're tutition is zero because of FTA, and you choose to take out a loan or are eligible for pell grants, that money will come to you in a refund check from the school.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                          Originally posted by California Major
                          In California, apply for both the Pell Grant, and the CAL Grant. I got both, plus my GI Bill and kicker.

                          Also, look into the VA Work Study program. It pays minimum wage, tax-free, non-reportable income (ie, no taxes and you don't report it on financial aid applications either) for up to 100 hours a month. So that's....$725 a month? All we did was answer phone and make coffee at the local Vet Center, and then got paid to study in-between.
                          So i can enlist as SMP get the military 4500 for college as well as receive pell grants, and Cal Grant.

                          and that VA Work study sounds like something im interested in thank you ill look into it in my state.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1
                            In addition to the facts provided by the LTC. Yes you can receive grants and loans on top of the tuition assistance. There is nothing against doing that. If you're tutition is zero because of FTA, and you choose to take out a loan or are eligible for pell grants, that money will come to you in a refund check from the school.
                            Oh thank you very much this is all i really need to know this is what has been holding me back from joining i planned on it very soon just i was worried the 4500 wouldn't be enough, this clears up a lot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Army College funds+ outside$?

                              Originally posted by California Major
                              In California, apply for both the Pell Grant, and the CAL Grant. I got both, plus my GI Bill and kicker.

                              Also, look into the VA Work Study program. It pays minimum wage, tax-free, non-reportable income (ie, no taxes and you don't report it on financial aid applications either) for up to 100 hours a month. So that's....$725 a month? All we did was answer phone and make coffee at the local Vet Center, and then got paid to study in-between.
                              Wow, that sounds great. As someone who's also venturing down this path, such income would be very welcome. I'm hoping such an option is available in my neck of the woods.

                              In terms of federal financial assistance, I can tell the OP that I've been recieving both the Pell Grant and Academic Assistance Grant for over a year now and they aren't too bad. Having a pre-paid college plan (which partially covers my college expenses) yields a greater return on the grant capital. I'm not sure how it works when you have tuition covered by SMP benefits or ROTC scholarships, but I imagine that the grant money gets refunded into your college account, as it has for me with my pre-paid plan.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X