X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP/ROTC college money.

Hey i was considering joining SMP, and heard that it was slightly competitive to getting a scholarship, given i live in California and currently hold a 2.9 GPA in 11th grade are my chances very low in receiving one?

and if a scholarship is not acquired will the ARNG still pay for my schooling? i was really hoping that if i go into the guard that i wont have to worry about paying for school but given school is so much in California the ARNG might not cover all of it.

any info will help thanx.

Re: SMP/ROTC college money.

Four year ROTC scholarships are very competitive. What is your ACT/SAT score? Sorry to tell you but a 2.9 isn't going to get you very far in this competition. Cadet Command does look at more than grades. What leadership positions do you have? What athletic type activities do you enjoy? They don't have to be organized varsity athletic teams.

Now, SMP is a different animal. All SMP does is allow you to be in two orginizations at once. Namely, ROTC and the ARNG or AR. You will be able to use all the educational benefits associated with being a soldier. There are several threads on this forum that detail those benefits.

The window to apply for the four year scholarships opend in March. You should get started on your application packet. This link may help.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/hs_four_year_scholarship.jsp

Comment

I recieved an ROTC scholarship with a 3.3 GPA, I let it go because it was just too much with 18 hours of hard classes at the time. This before I ever contracted during my first semester. 24 ACT score. Get the gpa up a little and you should be good. You wont need one in the Guard though, they will pay for (most) of your school and then pay off your loans with slrp. I heard you planned to enlist, if I am mistaken let me know.

Comment

Keep posting your questions in the forums you already started... you've basically asked the same questions 3 times in 3 different posts...

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
          Four year ROTC scholarships are very competitive. What is your ACT/SAT score? Sorry to tell you but a 2.9 isn't going to get you very far in this competition. Cadet Command does look at more than grades. What leadership positions do you have? What athletic type activities do you enjoy? They don't have to be organized varsity athletic teams.

Now, SMP is a different animal. All SMP does is allow you to be in two orginizations at once. Namely, ROTC and the ARNG or AR. You will be able to use all the educational benefits associated with being a soldier. There are several threads on this forum that detail those benefits.

The window to apply for the four year scholarships opend in March. You should get started on your application packet. This link may help.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/hs_four_year_scholarship.jsp
          so i take SAT in a week TBA, and as far as leadership is my strong point, im not really a school guy you know but i try my best, im team captain of varsity baseball and basketball as well as my high school Representative, and do many other leadership roles in my work and free time i also have a tremendous amount of recommendation letters from several good sources stating my leadership role i even received 2 scholarship through leadership experience but was hoping for the ROTC one because its a little better. yes i do plan on going SMP and havering ARNG pay for my school as much as possible and i do want to enlist and serve my country.
          Last edited by webbd30@aol.com; May 31st, 2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
            Keep posting your questions in the forums you already started... you've basically asked the same questions 3 times in 3 different posts...
            yes i am very sorry wont happen again

Comment

And this SLRP will that be included if i sign for SMP and the 4500 tuition assistance wont cover it all?

Comment

It covers student loans up to (I believe) somewhere around $60,000, ask your recruiter about it and make sure you will qualify. They said I would.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                  It covers student loans up to (I believe) somewhere around $60,000, ask your recruiter about it and make sure you will qualify. They said I would.
                  alright thanx i will i hope i do although im not exactly the most academician guy. always gets me o well.

Comment

Working...
                  X