Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What college did/do you go to?

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
    I'm majoring in Accounting now, I'm assuming you got up to the intermediate accounting classes if so what did you think of them?
    Your assumption is correct; However, more like several 500-700 graduate level accounting courses as well. Not much difference in MAOM and MBA just a few (3-4) accounting classes. MBA is more prestigious, pays more, and COST more.

I'm currently working on my CPCU (chartered property casualty underwriter).

Comment

University of Maryland - BA in Political Science

About to go back to school at Montgomery College for my RN

Go Terps!

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
        LOL been here for 2 years, but is there a history to why they named it Lynchburg? Never looked it up or asked
        "First settled in 1757, Lynchburg was named for its founder, John Lynch, who at the age of 17 started a ferry service at a ford across the James River to carry traffic to and from New London. He was also responsible for Lynchburg's first bridge across the river, which replaced the ferry in 1812. He and his mother are buried in the graveyard at the South River Friends Meetinghouse. The "City of Seven Hills" quickly developed along the hills surrounding Lynch's Ferry. Thomas Jefferson maintained a home near Lynchburg, called Poplar Forest. Jefferson frequented Lynchburg and remarked "Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be useful to the town of Lynchburg. I consider it as the most interesting spot in the state."

There ya go! We both just learned a little something about it lol

Comment

University of Richmond, B.S. Finance (2002)
          American Military University, M.A. International Relations (2010)
          University of Rhode Island, M.B.A. (2012)

Comment

Tulane University, MPH
            UNLV, DNP (on hold while playing combat nurse)

Comment

Originally posted by chd
              University of Richmond, B.S. Finance (2002)
              American Military University, M.A. International Relations (2010)
              University of Rhode Island, M.B.A. (2012)
              If I may ask hows that Finance degree working out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                Your assumption is correct; However, more like several 500-700 graduate level accounting courses as well. Not much difference in MAOM and MBA just a few (3-4) accounting classes. MBA is more prestigious, pays more, and COST more.

I'm currently working on my CPCU (chartered property casualty underwriter).
                I'm actually going to be starting intermediate 201 and tax 1 this fall. So even though you didn't go for your degree in accounting they still had you take some accounting classes? Little strange but thats cool

Comment

I'm actually going to be starting intermediate 201 and tax 1 this fall. So even though you didn't go for your degree in accounting they still had you take some accounting classes? Little strange but thats cool
                  Why would it be strange? You have to know about book keeping, taxes, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, income statements, monthly statements, balance sheets, and a profit gain or loss sheets.

In management it is imperative to be able to read, analyze, and interpret annual reports. Your basic function is to raise the bottom line and to add value to your share holders.

Accounting and business management coincide like psychology and sociology.

Comment

Why would it be strange? You have to know about book keeping, taxes, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, income statements, monthly statements, balance sheets, and a profit gain or loss sheets.

In management it is imperative to be able to read, analyze, and interpret annual reports. Your basic function is to raise the bottom line and to add value to your share holders.

Accounting and business management coincide like psychology and sociology.
                    Never thought about it like that actually, well you do make a good point on that.

Comment

If I may ask hows that Finance degree working out for you?
                      I've never held a job in "finance" actually, rather managed a family business for several years after college before going into consulting. My concentration was in financial analysis, so I can't say that I use that much. My peers with the same degree are either uncomfortably rich on Wall St. or comfortably happy in consulting.

That said, we probably all wish that we majored in economics and political science instead and accrued our hard business knowledge in our M.B.A. pursuits.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                        I've never held a job in "finance" actually, rather managed a family business for several years after college before going into consulting. My concentration was in financial analysis, so I can't say that I use that much. My peers with the same degree are either uncomfortably rich on Wall St. or comfortably happy in consulting.

That said, we probably all wish that we majored in economics and political science instead and accrued our hard business knowledge in our M.B.A. pursuits.
                        Well I ask because today college students studying finance don't have to many job opportunities available.

Comment

A wise WO made a comment on a this forum site in a different post.."That todays college degree is like a high school diploma". I have too agree in kind.

There are too many "diploma mills" out there....even from accredited institutions. It cheapens the educational process.

Bottom line you have to find a occupation that you enjoy and learn your craft. Follow it up advance training and education it will be a win-win situation.

I always wanted to be in law enforcement; I got a taste of it, enjoyed it and still dabble in it on a part-time basis. However, I've always loved tinkering with cars and trucks. I started as a kid and my love for fixing hard hit vehicles and restoring them to the pre-accident condition has stick with me since....to me it is like a love affair!

I've been in the collision repair industry for the past couple decades started out as a "wash boy", helper, line tech (paint, body, & frame), and a manager.

About 6 years ago I bought into a partnership with my employer and it has been a win-win...I work for myself, I'm vested, and I do what I love to do....fix cars and make money.

I credit the military for helping me reach my goals. It tought me the "Corps values", teamwork, and espirt de corps! While I was on AD I milked every bit of TA I could out of the education office. It took time and hard work but slowly but surely I was able to reach my educational goals with the assistance of the VEAP.

You younglings have the MGIB and post 9/11.....No excuse in not getting an education if your service member or a Vet!
                          Last edited by 7011USMC; May 31st, 2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
                            "First settled in 1757, Lynchburg was named for its founder, John Lynch, who at the age of 17 started a ferry service at a ford across the James River to carry traffic to and from New London. He was also responsible for Lynchburg's first bridge across the river, which replaced the ferry in 1812. He and his mother are buried in the graveyard at the South River Friends Meetinghouse. The "City of Seven Hills" quickly developed along the hills surrounding Lynch's Ferry. Thomas Jefferson maintained a home near Lynchburg, called Poplar Forest. Jefferson frequented Lynchburg and remarked "Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be useful to the town of Lynchburg. I consider it as the most interesting spot in the state."

There ya go! We both just learned a little something about it lol
                            So named after John Lynch, not a famous lynching or something. cool thanks for background sir!

Comment

A wise WO made a comment on a this forum site in a different post.."That todays college degree is like a high school diploma". I have too agree in kind.

There are too many "diploma mills" out there....even from accredited institutions. It cheapens the educational process.

Bottom line you have to find a occupation that you enjoy and learn your craft. Follow it up advance training and education it will be a win-win situation.

I always wanted to be in law enforcement; I got a taste of it, enjoyed it and still dabble in it on a part-time basis. However, I've always loved tinkering with cars and trucks. I started as a kid and my love for fixing hard hit vehicles and restoring them to the pre-accident condition has stick with me since....to me it is like a love affair!

I've been in the collision repair industry for the past couple decades started out as a "wash boy", helper, line tech (paint, body, & frame), and a manager.

About 6 years ago I bought into a partnership with my employer and it has been a win-win...I work for myself, I'm vested, and I do what I love to do....fix cars and make money.

I credit the military for helping me reach my goals. It tought me the "Corps values", teamwork, and espirt de corps! While I was on AD I milked every bit of TA I could out of the education office. It took time and hard work but slowly but surely I was able to reach my educational goals with the assistance of the VEAP.

You younglings have the MGIB and post 9/11.....No excuse in not getting an education if your service member or a Vet!
                              That is well said but lets also remember that college is not the sole answer and that trade schools are equally just as importantt and only going to have their importance rise in the next years to come due to the lack of people going into those badly needed fields.

Comment

Currently enrolled with the University of Phoenix. BS in Business Administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X