Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill and College Money...How to get it started?

I've been in the Illinois Guard for over a year now. Just got out of AIT in February. Anyways I am looking to go back to my community college for the fall and just wondering how to get the Guard to pay for it since it's in my contract with the kicker also.

I assume I would just at least register for my classes to get the slots filled but I am not sure how to actually go about getting certain paperwork for the Guard to pay for it or how to get it started. Any help would be appreciated...thanks for your time.

- PFC West

Re: GI Bill and College Money...How to get it started?

Your school should have a VA Rep. That person will be your contact for GI Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by David68W
      I've been in the Illinois Guard for over a year now. Just got out of AIT in February. Anyways I am looking to go back to my community college for the fall and just wondering how to get the Guard to pay for it since it's in my contract with the kicker also.

I assume I would just at least register for my classes to get the slots filled but I am not sure how to actually go about getting certain paperwork for the Guard to pay for it or how to get it started. Any help would be appreciated...thanks for your time.

- PFC West
      Ensure that you draw Federal TA first.

I recommend that you only draw GI Bill if you really need the money to pay for tuition and food. If this money will buy beer and cigarettes, then don't draw it. You only get 36 months of GI Bill, and if you use your eligibility frivilously, you won't have it later in your career when you may need it more.

Comment

How does it actually work? Do they send you a monthly check, an on average how much is it? And no, it would definitely be going towards my education.

Comment

Ok...so assuming you have applied for Federal TA, here is how to get the GI Bill ball rolling.

first, you'll need to get your NOBE(notice of basic eligibility) from your state. You can request this through your unit who in turn will request it from the education department. Basically this form verifies that you completed IET and graduated high school.

second, take the NOBE to the VA Rep at your school and they will have some more paperwork for you to fill out.

After that, your prettty much done with your end, you'll just wait for the millions of dollars to start rolling in...or I guess it would more accurately be for the 329 a month to start rolling in(as long as your a full time student).

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
            Ok...so assuming you have applied for Federal TA, here is how to get the GI Bill ball rolling.

first, you'll need to get your NOBE(notice of basic eligibility) from your state. You can request this through your unit who in turn will request it from the education department. Basically this form verifies that you completed IET and graduated high school.

second, take the NOBE to the VA Rep at your school and they will have some more paperwork for you to fill out.

After that, your prettty much done with your end, you'll just wait for the millions of dollars to start rolling in...or I guess it would more accurately be for the 329 a month to start rolling in(as long as your a full time student).

NOBE form is aviable online on www.virtualarmory.com click on FTA and it goes to your state recrord and you can print it out.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew.tischner
              NOBE form is aviable online on www.virtualarmory.com click on FTA and it goes to your state recrord and you can print it out.

SWEET! I cant believe we are actually doing something that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Z
                When you say $329.00 is that it? Or is the GI Bill also paying for your school too? I'm also new to this too.
                That is it for the GI Bill, unless you are getting the kicker too. It would be in your contract if you are so if you dont know what Im talking about then you probably didnt get it. The TA pays the school directly.

Comment

Working...
                X