X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online college? but which one?

Seems that the Guard is willing to pay for online colleges, but how should a person go about selecting one? Is there a list available. Any suggestions? Anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad?
    Also I noticed quite a few online courses available on AKO what will these classes do for me other than of course learning something? Will they help with promotions?
    I have lots and lots of questions about the guard so get used to seeing my posts.

Re: Online college? but which one?

Originally posted by indyguard
    Seems that the Guard is willing to pay for online colleges, but how should a person go about selecting one? Is there a list available. Any suggestions? Anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad?
    Also I noticed quite a few online courses available on AKO what will these classes do for me other than of course learning something? Will they help with promotions?
    I have lots and lots of questions about the guard so get used to seeing my posts.
    Tuition Assistance will only pay for accredited schools, so you have a fundamental safety net there.

While I am by no means a snob, I caution against attending an online school that lacks history and reputation. Obviously a degree from a McSchool is better than no degree at all, but for a little extra effort you could have a degree from a decent school that commands some respect.

Look to see if your state colleges have an online program. Then, cast your net wider to other brick-and-mortar schools that have online programs. I'm leery of schools that are only online.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
      Look to see if your state colleges have an online program. Then, cast your net wider to other brick-and-mortar schools that have online programs. I'm leery of schools that are only online.
      this is exactly what i'm doing. another benefit is that you will get access to the school's math lab, language lab, and other study aids. you also can visit your professors in their office for a face-to-face if you're having any issues. if you need to do online, this is really the way to go.

Comment

I've been looking at Maryland lately. They have a decent looking online program from a major brick & mortar school with reputation.

Comment

Indiana Wesleyan is a good brick and mortar school that offers online degree programs.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
            I've been looking at Maryland lately. They have a decent looking online program from a major brick & mortar school with reputation.
            UMUC or College Park?

Comment

I would be cautious about the ever popular University of Phoenix. There is an entire following of unhappy customers out there on the net.

Comment

I agree. A University of Phoenix degree is better than no degree, but it's not going to go very far. I'd stay away. There are much better options available.

Comment

Working...
                X