X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill / what if i drop a class

Just reupped in the guard and couldn't be happier, I didn't reenlist with a critical MOS so there was no bonus or kicker, however I did get the SLRP in my contract and 1066 MontGI BILL by enlisting in an MTOE unit.
    I want to take advantage of the great educational benefits the Guard offers,but I have a problem with my schedule.
    This semester I have two classes, one class is on Fridays.
    I just got my drill dates for March and April and we have to drill all three days Fri, Sat, Sun, which means I will miss two class sessions, not a big deal to miss just two classes but there will be major tests given on these two days and if I miss these tests I will fail the class!
    I was told by the instructor there is no way around it, if I miss, to bad!
    My education is very important to me and my guard career (promotions) and don't want to **** it up!
    So will I lose my benefits if I drop the class?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Please!

Re: GI Bill / what if i drop a class

I would talk to someone else at your school. Most schools are willing to work with you, as your missing class do to your required service in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by indyguard
      Just reupped in the guard and couldn't be happier, I didn't reenlist with a critical MOS so there was no bonus or kicker, however I did get the SLRP in my contract and 1066 MontGI BILL by enlisting in an MTOE unit.
      I want to take advantage of the great educational benefits the Guard offers,but I have a problem with my schedule.
      This semester I have two classes, one class is on Fridays.
      I just got my drill dates for March and April and we have to drill all three days Fri, Sat, Sun, which means I will miss two class sessions, not a big deal to miss just two classes but there will be major tests given on these two days and if I miss these tests I will fail the class!
      I was told by the instructor there is no way around it, if I miss, to bad!
      My education is very important to me and my guard career (promotions) and don't want to **** it up!
      So will I lose my benefits if I drop the class?
      Does anyone have any suggestions?
      Please!
      I'd have a field day with this professor...

Okay, talk to the professor again. If they don't make accomodations for you to take the exam, take to the Department Head... then the Dean if it doesn't go anywhere... then the President of the school... then the school paper... et cetera...

If you want to take the exam and complete the class, it'll happen. Unless of course, this question is really about just dropping it and seeing if you'd lose your benefits, then... well... I don't know that answer for sure, but you'd likely lose it and have to pay it back.
      Last edited by chd; February 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Of course if you stop the classes the money stops...Why would you continue to get the benefit if your not taking the classes?

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
          Of course if you stop the classes the money stops...Why would you continue to get the benefit if your not taking the classes?
          I thought if you start a class your required to complete it with at least a grade of "d" or you would not be entitled to anymore Tuition Assistance,
          Ever, thats what someone made it sound like.

Also I don't want to drop the class because I can't go under 6 credit hours if I go under the minimum 6 hrs. I lose out on 1606 money every month and have to start repaying my loans,SLRP doesn't go into effect until my one year anniversery.

If I can take one of the two tests I can pass and keep moving forward.

Aren't colleges supposed to be GI friendly?

Comment

I thought if you start a class your required to complete it with at least a grade of "d" or you would not be entitled to anymore Tuition Assistance,
            Ever, thats what someone made it sound like.

Also I don't want to drop the class because I can't go under 6 credit hours if I go under the minimum 6 hrs. I lose out on 1606 money every month and have to start repaying my loans,SLRP doesn't go into effect until my one year anniversery.

If I can take one of the two tests I can pass and keep moving forward.

Aren't colleges supposed to be GI friendly?
            Check your report times on Friday. Are the MUTA 5's or 6's. If they are MUTA-5's you probably won't have to report until 1800 or so. Does this give you enough time to go to class and still make drill?

Comment

Originally posted by SGTHess
              Check your report times on Friday. Are the MUTA 5's or 6's. If they are MUTA-5's you probably won't have to report until 1800 or so. Does this give you enough time to go to class and still make drill?

One is MUTA 5, One is MUTA 6, so I can take one test and still pass the class, thanks for that info!

Comment

One is MUTA 5, One is MUTA 6, so I can take one test and still pass the class, thanks for that info!
                Dude, you're not going to get a 0 on the other one for going to a drill, unless you let this professor screw you.

Comment

Working...
                X