X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering the GI Bill question...

I want to transfer my GI Bill over to my wife so she can continue to attend college to get her MBA, How can I or she go about it?

Re: Transfering the GI Bill question...

M GI Bill or the post 9/11? Have you done 90 days active duty or served at least 6 years?

You should really talk to one of your state education officers.

Comment

Talk to the VA, they administer your GI Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
        M GI Bill or the post 9/11? Have you done 90 days active duty or served at least 6 years?

You should really talk to one of your state education officers.
        Does Active Duty counts toward BCT and AIT because both depending on the MOS can range over 6mo long. I read an article and people comments about picking up the M GI Bill first since it helps more $$ then after it runs out pick up Post 9/11 since about half of M GI Bill $$.

Comment

Active duty for training does not count for active duty time for Post 911 GIB.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been researching this for my DH's situation.

From what I can find, the only requirement for the active duty is that it be under Title 10 of USC, not Title 32 (i.e. Federal Govt, not State Govt).

I found this:

B. QUALIFYING ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE IS DEFINED AS:
            (1) FOR ACTIVE DUTY MEMBERS, ACTIVE DUTY SERVED IN THE REGULAR COMPONENT OF THE MARINE CORPS.
            (2) FOR SELECTED RESERVE MEMBERS (SELRES), ORDERED TO ACTIVE DUTY UNDER TITLE 10, SECTIONS 688, 12301(A), 12301(D), 12301(G), 12302 AND 12304 (ORDERS IN SUPPORT OF CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS, I.E., MOBILIZATION).
            I checked out the USC Title 10, and part D says:
            (d) At any time, an authority designated by the Secretary concerned may order a member of a reserve component under his jurisdiction to active duty, or retain him on active duty, with the consent of that member. However, a member of the Army National Guard of the United States or the Air National Guard of the United States may not be ordered to active duty under this subsection without the consent of the governor or other appropriate authority of the State concerned.
            Check out your original orders for your training. DH's say:
            With consent of the Governor of Utah, you are ordered to initial active duty for training (IADT) under 10 USC 12301.
            I take this to mean that as long as he is activated under these (his original) orders, his time qualifies him for the Post 9/11 GI bill. For DH, He has been on active duty orders for about 1 1/2 years, and when he FINALLY finishes AIT it will be exactly 24 months of active duty. That means he will qualify for 80% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

[EDIT: I just read that IADT training doesn't count unless you have a total of 24 mos of qualifying active duty - then it DOES count. So since DH's training is about 24 mos, his IADT will qualify - but not everyone's will qualify right away]
            Last edited by RowleyArmyFamily; April 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X