X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Mike: ROTC

When I get back from AIT, I plan on doing Army ROTC at my local university while simultaneously getting a BA in Criminal Justice with maybe a minor in International Security/Intelligence. I've emailed everyone in the VA Dept. at the University and even talked to my recruiter, but I haven't gotten anything substantial. I know it's a bit early, seeing as though I won't be starting college until Spring 2011 after I get back from AIT, but when should I be going through the applications process and getting everything worked out? I've already completed the college application and sent it off to them but I haven't heard anything back.

Also, when I do get into ROTC, since I will by then be a BCT/AIT graduate, I'll be ahead of the other Cadets, but will I still be able to start off just like them? I know you can cut ROTC to two years with the type of training under my belt, but would I have to? I mean, I'd want to experience ROTC just like everyone else, no free ticket or anything so I'd earn my subordinates respect and not alienate myself right from the start. In my contract, I thought I had the College First Option, but I don't think I do. My recruiter told me that if you take ROTC, you're undeployable, is this true? Also, how many hours of ROTC do you need to contract?

Re: Oscar Mike: ROTC

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
    Also, when I do get into ROTC, since I will by then be a BCT/AIT graduate, I'll be ahead of the other Cadets, but will I still be able to start off just like them? I know you can cut ROTC to two years with the type of training under my belt, but would I have to? I mean, I'd want to experience ROTC just like everyone else, no free ticket or anything so I'd earn my subordinates respect and not alienate myself right from the start. In my contract, I thought I had the College First Option, but I don't think I do. My recruiter told me that if you take ROTC, you're undeployable, is this true? Also, how many hours of ROTC do you need to contract?
    You won't be able to accelerate your ROTC time. ROTC will not commission you until you graduate. One of the things you will do when you enter ROTC is fill out an academic planner (form 104-R). Then your progress toward graduation will be matched with your ROTC classes so you graduate at the same time you complete ROTC. The 104-R is important. Before you change your major you will have to talk to your PMS and he may not give you permission based on how it would affect your degree completion.

You will become non-deployable ONCE YOU CONTRACT. Until then you are deployable. You will need 30 semester hours to contract as an SMP cadet. To be clear, that is not 30 hours of ROTC classes. There aren't that many hours in the program. Those hours come from your degree program.

Comment

hmm, so I'm just thinking about this 30 hours requirement. Check this out, a kid who has taken some dual credit classes at his local college/HS could contract a semester early. Let's say the kid took 12 hours dual credit, went to basic immediately followed by AIT, say 6 months, that brings him back home in December, we know he's gonna get at least 4 hours credit for his Basic, give him 6 more for AIT, that's 10 + the 12 hours he already took. He enrolls in Spring semester, passes as little as 9 hours and he has 31 hours. He contracts right after his first long semester, instead of 2nd.

Comment

I don't think many schools give credit for IET, but other than that I suppose your scenario is possible.

Comment

I really hope that the school I'm looking at does. I haven't gotten any info though.

Comment

Working...
          X