X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Degree

Has anyone used Post University online degree program or do you know anyone who has? I'm looking into them, and was referred to them by my RRNCO. They seem pretty good.

Re: Online Degree

Just be careful, those quick degree online programs won't get you nearly as far in the military or in civilian life as a non-online only school. If a 4 year institution like UT offers online degrees it's just as good as going to class. But, online only, for profit schools (ex. University of Phoenix) are not viewed the same.

There was just an article put out about this. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here is the article:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34733974...sonal_finance/
    Last edited by azIce; January 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Do not use any University unless they are regionally accredited. The national accreditation is bull and will not transfer to any school. However Post University is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The list includes some good schools. Good Luck!!!

Comment

I stand by what I said and good luck with a degree from there.

Originally posted by KeyT
        nationally accredited degrees transfer to regionally accredited schools, not all but many.
        University of Phoenix is a Nationally credited school and will not get you far either.

Comment

The article I posted has good info it. Make sure you check it out.

This is nothing new. Online only schools have never been considered up to par with a 4 year institution. It will get you somewhere, yes, but you will be passed on if you and another individual are considered equal everywhere else.

I've been in the IT business for 12 years, 6 of it in a supervisor/manager posiition. We have never taken someone with an online degree when put up against someone with a 4 year degree when all other credentials are equal.

Just something to think about.
          Last edited by azIce; January 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

University of Phoenix is not an online-only school. They have campuses located in many places and offer online courses, classroom classes, and a hybrid mix of the two.

My mom is in HR and has been in HR for many years. She has done recruiting for some large companies. The stigma against online universities and U of Phoenix "not giving quality education" has gone away for the most part. Most people in business have degrees from U of Phoenix now and understand the challenge it takes to do online coursework.

I've known several people myself who have degrees from Phoenix and have gone quite far with the civilian world, and even with their careers in the military. I was always on the band wagon with those who thing U of Phoenix is a waste, too expensive, doesn't look good to have a degree from there, etc. However, after some research and listening to what my friends & mom have said, I fully plan on completing my degree through them because they are a great option for the style of learning I like (very quick, 5-week classes) and are very inexpensive ($250/cr for military).

Comment

UofP has a ton of angry customers and has for years. I would avoid.

Comment

Maybe I should have told him that the difference is a degree that will get you by vs. a degree that will help you.....

I have been a Corporate Recruiter for years and have received the same reaction from companies (Boeing, Raytheon, Northrop). We are not to even send a resume with an online school unless the position does not require a degree.

Please do not even try to challenge the fact that I'm an NCO. This is a discussion and not something you should take personally. You are trying to compare the few to the many.

Regardless..... I'm out of this discussion.
                Last edited by leeyo32; January 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

First off nobody here is answering my questions. This is not a debate about what's the best. Thanks for all the warning info, but don't be too quick to judge a school. I've done quite a bit of research on this program and it seems legit. Here are some quick facts about the particular school in question.

Post University:
                  • http://www.post.edu/online/index.shtml here's the link check it out.
                  • Non-profit
                  • Accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC); Licensed by the State of Connecticut, through the Department of Higher Education (DHE).
                  • It is a traditional college that offers an online degree program.
                  • The online degree curriculum is the EXACT same as they use in the classroom.
                  • According to the Online Education Database (OEDb), a national resource for online degree programs, Post University is ranked 18th among online education providers: capturing the top rankings in many of the criteria used to rank each university, including a top 10 ranking for students who received financial aid.
                  • You will receive an official, traditional diploma from Post University. Both your diploma and university transcript will be exactly the same kind as those of students who earn their degrees on campus.
                  • With the Post University Military program, you can earn your degree while you serve. Whether you are stationed state-side, overseas, or deployed to an FOB, as long as you have Internet access you can earn your degree.

Comment

I then went to the American Military University (a regionally accredited school) and had almost every single credit transfer.
                    I finished my undergrad at AMU as well. I had attended 6 different 'brick and mortar' schools before finishing there. How difficult would you consider the curriculum there Key? I have never had such a writing intensive learning experience as I had there. Angers me when people knock online schools.

Comment

No offense, but your company is missing out on great talent if going to a 'regular' college will always beat out someone from an online school.

So if you had an two applicants who where Army Guardsmens and set up a network for their commands in Iraq, set up large networks in the civilian world and one had an online degree and the other had a 'regular' one you would hire the 'regular' degree guy just because he had a 'regular' degree? Isn't IT one of those fields where all the stuff you learned in college obsolete only a few years later?

Sounds like a company with a bright future...
                      To answer your question. YES.

As far as a company with a bright a future. It's not one company, it's every company I have been with in my career. Most of which have been fortune 500 companies. The only companies where online degrees were even considered were small companies. The bigger companies didn't even give them an interview.

There are always exceptions. There are people without degrees who get jobs and do well. So, to say that an online school won't help wouldn't be true and isn't the point. The point is to be careful and don't be surprised when it doesn't carry as much weight. If you are happy to just get started and get your foot in the door, it may work, but do not plan on ever making it to executive managment with an online degree. That is of course in 99% of most traditional companies. Once again, there are always exceptions.

IT does change quickly. After a person has their degree it is mainly dependent upon experience. You will see a lot of IT jobs listed as BA/BS or equivelent experience. But that is entry level to mid-senior positions. Not management. Once agaiin, if there is an indivudual with no degree and your experience is equal to another with an online degree and another with a 4 year degree. 99% of the time the 4 degree holder wins out. Fact of the corporate world. You can fight it all you want and disagree with it all you want, but that doesn't change how business works..... 99% of the time.

Also, this isn't a knock against a 4 year institution, brick and mortar school, who offers an online degree like Penn State. You take the same amount of courses for the same amount of hours. Those are equal. It's the get a BA/BS in 1.5 years with 2 week courses and the such that is what I've been talking about.
                      Last edited by azIce; January 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I thought the classes where very hard but worth it. I hate when people knock online schools. What most people forget is that many 'regular' schools are now online. My wife just finished her BA from Penn State, and she did most of it online (they didn't have an online program until her 2nd year.)
                        Small world- Penn State( they have an excellent marketing campaign in place) is one of the schools that I'm considering for finishing my Masters. I believe that it is the future of higher education, esp. for working/returning adults. Foolish for these schools that are late to the party to rely on the old standard and miss out on some of the easiest revenue available. I've raised a ruckus with my home state institution (UNR) to get on board as they have nothing available to me online and are losing $$$ from my free in-state tuition.

Comment

The department I teach in is now beginning an online degree in Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing. I can tell you we have taken an incredible amount of time creating a program that will give a good, if not better education than our on camus programs. I will completely agree that it may cause people to miss out of the "college" experience, which is a disadvantage. Everyone should experience having to sprint through campus for an exam in five minutes in your pajamas after drinking for 18 hours straight on St. Patty's Day, but, if you are past that silliness in your life, and are mature enough to take the online courses seriouly, (aka: not have your best friend with a degree in the topic area take the exams for you....or not sitting in front of the book rifling for answers while taking a quiz) then these programs can be perfect for you. Let's face it, it is much easier to log into a virtual classroom in the comfort of your own home than to get off your bum and head into campus, go to the library, time between classes, group work, and the dreaded PARKING...just getting up and at em can help you with discipline. It is hard to face that this is the way that education is going for me, but when developed correctly, it can be successful for the student.

KeyT is right. Many prominent universities are offering online degree programs in a diverse amount of topics. One of my close friends is getting a MBA from Notre Dame and we had it out over this exact same topic a few months ago. Yet, Leeyo32 and azIce are correct as well. Many recruiters still frown upon online degrees because oncampus degrees do provide something that online degrees can't. This paradigm will merge at some point in time, sooner than later, and each degree will be worth the same. But until then, if you are getting an online degree, be prepared to automatically placed behind classic institution education. My suggestion, make a kick *** resume/cv that highlights your service, volunteer work, relevant papers and projects, honors, etc, and you will be put right back on top again!

I do have to say I think that the major/minor you are studying makes a big difference in success online. Anything technical or "non-mushy" field of study will be much easier to study online. Accounting/mathematics/computer tech will be the way to go.

What is your major kswat07? Just curious as to why you would chose Post? It seems like (at least from their web page) they cater specifically to mlitary personel? What state are you in?

Comment

I like Western Governor's University. Non-profit online school. One of the top rated by fortune 500 companies. Really big in the IT field.

www.wgu.edu

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
                              Also, this isn't a knock against a 4 year institution, brick and mortar school, who offers an online degree like Penn State. You take the same amount of courses for the same amount of hours.
                              How is this any different than Phoenix having classrooms all around the states now offering in-class courses?

Originally posted by azIce
                              It's the get a BA/BS in 1.5 years with 2 week courses and the such that is what I've been talking about.
                              Please show me a University that offers 2-week courses?

I know several Universities that offer Adult education programs where classes are 5 or 8 weeks long, designed for working professionals to get their degrees done faster. Regis University in Denver; St. Ambrose University in Davenport, IA; Fontbonne University in St. Louis, etc. Many schools are now offering accelerated courses for adult professionals to make it easier for them to obtain their degrees instead of wasting time in a classroom for 16-weeks with a bunch of punk young kids.

Just because the program is offered online doesn't mean it is any less of an educational institution. Online schooling takes a lot more discipline than does a regular classroom course. I speak this from experience. I have been a college student in literally every format that is offered out there. Online schooling is the hardest because you have to force yourself to do the work, you don't have attendance to be held accountable for, and it is very easy to forget you have an assignment due when you don't actually have someone to report to weekly in a "brick and mortar" setting.

If someone REALLY wants to climb to the top of the corporate ladder, they probably will make sure they go to a very highly valued institution, spending all those hours on entrance exams, lengthy papers, and tests to show they have a degree from that highly valued institution (but did they really learn anything?). If someone wants a degree to have more advanced knowledge and to expand their knowledge with a degree, but doesn't care what the name says at the top (within reason), then what is the problem?

Someone earlier mentioned experience. Is a degree even worth anything without experience, no matter where the degree is from? The only reason I am even pursuing a degree is because society practically mandates you to have one in order to get anywhere in this world. Am I going to rely on the degree alone to get me anywhere? Absolutely not, and you are a fool if you think it will. I've been working on my Bachelors degree for 6.5 years now because I have been focusing on getting real-world experience instead of putting all my eggs into the degree basket.

Comment

Working...
                              X