Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

    If someone serves in AGR, when the person gets out of the military, does this time count as a Veteran? Will that person get veterans status? I'm hearing that it does not and was hoping for clarification and possibly regulations that I could give my soldiers that are retiring soon...

  • #2
    Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

    I *believe* you have to have been on Title 10. As in, activated federally for a mission.

    You're in MA right?

    http://www.mass.gov/Eveterans/docs/wartime_chart.pdf
    Last edited by SteveLord; August 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

      Originally posted by OCScandidate
      If someone serves in AGR, when the person gets out of the military, does this time count as a Veteran? Will that person get veterans status? I'm hearing that it does not and was hoping for clarification and possibly regulations that I could give my soldiers that are retiring soon...
      What specific benefits are you referring to? There is a difference between a veteran of the armed forces (which they are) and a combat veteran. They will be entitled to burial benefits, VA home loans and others that can be found on the VA homepage. If they are looking for a government job, do they get extra points...maybe maybe not. Is there a more specific question?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

        A soldier I work with is retiring and has been on AGR (title 32) his whole career but when going for a job, they told him he's not a veteran so he cannot fill the position. How is that possible??? 20+ years active.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

          Originally posted by OCScandidate
          A soldier I work with is retiring and has been on AGR (title 32) his whole career but when going for a job, they told him he's not a veteran so he cannot fill the position. How is that possible??? 20+ years active.
          Again, more specific...what job?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1
            Again, more specific...what job?
            job matters that he's applying to with whether he's a veteran? Served 20+ year, and never been deployed tho?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

              Originally posted by SGT Bart
              job matters that he's applying to with whether he's a veteran? Served 20+ year, and never been deployed tho?
              20 yrs with the 172nd Chairborne Div. Barbecue and budwiser company doesn't count? That is BS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                Originally posted by SGT Bart
                job matters that he's applying to with whether he's a veteran? Served 20+ year, and never been deployed tho?
                Yes, for example in NJ if you have deployed to a qualifying conflict you are deemed a veteran on the civil service test for police and fire jobs, and are put in a seperate category. Have 100 years of active service as title 32 or title 10 with no deployment = not counted as a veteran for THAT JOB.

                Lets say you want to be a teacher, so you apply thru the troops to teachers program. Have 6 years of active service = you are a veteran.

                So yes, the job matters.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                  Originally posted by 7011USMC
                  20 yrs with the 172nd Chairborne Div. Barbecue and budwiser company doesn't count? That is BS.
                  My thoughts exactly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                    Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1
                    Yes, for example in NJ if you have deployed to a qualifying conflict you are deemed a veteran on the civil service test for police and fire jobs, and are put in a seperate category. Have 100 years of active service as title 32 or title 10 with no deployment = not counted as a veteran for THAT JOB.

                    Lets say you want to be a teacher, so you apply thru the troops to teachers program. Have 6 years of active service = you are a veteran.

                    So yes, the job matters.
                    Aren't title 10= deployment somewheres?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                      Originally posted by SGT Bart
                      Aren't title 10= deployment somewheres?
                      Umm.... NO

                      Yes if you deploy you are on title 10. However you can be on title 10 without ever deploying. I.E. Title 10 AGR program or the entire regular Army.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                        Originally posted by SGT Bart
                        Aren't title 10= deployment somewheres?
                        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1
                        Umm.... NO

                        Yes if you deploy you are on title 10.

                        lol snipy snipy, thanks for clarification
                        Last edited by SGT Bart; August 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: AGR counting towards being a Veteran?

                          Originally posted by SGT Bart
                          lol snipy snipy, thanks for clarification

                          haha

                          hahahahaha

                          hahahahahahahahahahahaha

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X