X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Teach JROTC?

Hello guys, I am a former guard member, am a teacher, ready to try something different, I ran across this today:

Classroom Teacher- ROTC
    JOB DESCRIPTION: Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
    JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Education/Certification:
    Minimum three (3) years military experience and be certified to teach Physical education or U.S. Army Retired grades E-6 through E9 or O3- O6 with a certification from U.S. Army’s Cadet CommandAble to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with students, parents, other teachers, and school administratorsWear the uniform daily and meet personal grooming standards as outlined in AR 670-1

I did not retire, so I would need to qualify with the P.E. cert, but am not currently certified in P. E., would have to take a test. BTW, this is for 6th through 8th graders. I looked at AR 670-1, it's just the wearing of the uniform.

A few questions:

1. I'm guessing I would need to buy uniforms. no problem, except how would I gain access to a clothing sales store, because I am not currently in the guard?

2. Anybody done this? Sounds like a great job, I'm guessing since it is just the three grades they would fill in my schedule with P.E. classes.

3. What is the Drill and Ceremonies FM? or AR? I would need to brush up a bit. D and C would be quite an emphasis, I'm sure. In fact, I don't imagine having much time to do much else, given time constraints. For example, school starts in late August, you've got to have a unit read to march for the first football game in early September. If there are any returning students, I'm sure I would have them do it first.

Any comments are appreciated.

Re: Anybody Teach JROTC?

For uniforms, you can order from www.rangerjoes.com www.supertrooper.com or www.uscavalry.com

D&C can be found in FM 3-21.5
    Last edited by PFC Lowe; February 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
      Hello guys, I am a former guard member, am a teacher, ready to try something different, I ran across this today:

Classroom Teacher- ROTC
      JOB DESCRIPTION: Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
      JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Education/Certification:
      Minimum three (3) years military experience and be certified to teach Physical education or U.S. Army Retired grades E-6 through E9 or O3- O6 with a certification from U.S. Army’s Cadet CommandAble to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with students, parents, other teachers, and school administratorsWear the uniform daily and meet personal grooming standards as outlined in AR 670-1

I did not retire, so I would need to qualify with the P.E. cert, but am not currently certified in P. E., would have to take a test. BTW, this is for 6th through 8th graders. I looked at AR 670-1, it's just the wearing of the uniform.

A few questions:

1. I'm guessing I would need to buy uniforms. no problem, except how would I gain access to a clothing sales store, because I am not currently in the guard?

2. Anybody done this? Sounds like a great job, I'm guessing since it is just the three grades they would fill in my schedule with P.E. classes.

3. What is the Drill and Ceremonies FM? or AR? I would need to brush up a bit. D and C would be quite an emphasis, I'm sure. In fact, I don't imagine having much time to do much else, given time constraints. For example, school starts in late August, you've got to have a unit read to march for the first football game in early September. If there are any returning students, I'm sure I would have them do it first.

Any comments are appreciated.
      D and C is FM 3-21.5 I think. Drill and ceremony is huge in JROTC. I know usually JROTC teachers are retired military with teaching degrees. Usually instructors wear class B uniforms, all the pieces of flair not required besides a name tag and rank. I've thought about the same thing.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: PFC Lowe already squared you away with D&C.

Comment

my ole man was doing this for a bit. Its a very encompassing job. I know my dad said it was the best experience of his life and is trying to get back into it full time.

At min. you are gonna need a class b uniform with Nametag. Fruitsalad is optional (ribbons). Wish you all the best

Comment

Definitely stick with ROTC, OCS blows unbelievably bad you learn absolutely nothing, people that teach are in general failures from their branches (although some just want a break and thus go there to teach, but many and I mean many are fat, overweight, deployment dodging, losers who have no operational experience themselves, hence why they teach in TRADOC) besides you will finish graduate degree it's a win win situation if you stick with rotc

Comment

• EOrsini
            EOrsini commented
            Editing a comment
            The OP isn't asking for the difference between OCS and ROTC. And you're generalizing OCS as all bad, when that's far from the truth. I did ROTC, but I know a number of officers who did OCS and gained valuable experience.

• SF Hunter
            SF Hunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to mention you are commenting on a thread that is over 3 years old.
        Working...
        X