X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11B Infantryman or 19D Cavalry Scout

My questions regard these MOS's. I have read about them on the goarmy.com website.

1. I am curious if anyone can shed some light on the AIT and field work overseas that both would experience.
    2. Who is more of a powerhouse?

The scouts seem like Secret mission type guys and the infantry seems like beat cops breaking down doors...

3. Who goes in first? Who is really on the front lines and see's the most combat?

Now, I also know that a sniper course could be applicable for only these two MOS, correct me if I am wrong...

4. How would a sniper be involved differently with these units? What are they chances I would be able to attend a sniper course, and be a sniper, when deployed with which ever unit I wound up with?

5. What types of units would I be deployed with? What kind of circumstances would I be involved in? Any chances I would be allowed to attend combatives training? Air assault? airborne? pathfiner? For infantry guys only? or scouts too?

Thank you for reading.
    I would appreciate only appropriate, professional, well thought out responses. Have a good day.
    Last edited by SeanR87; July 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM.

Re: 11B Infantryman or 19D Cavalry Scout

Many times, they perform similar operations. The main difference is their missions. To put it simply, Infantry mission is to destroy enemy forces. Scout mission is to recon and avoid combat/detection if possible.

Infantry gets you the blue cord, CIB and EIB. Scouts have spurs and stetsons, which although aren't "official" military items, they are usually authorized at the unit level anyway.

Infantry will have better pull in getting into all those schools listed...since they are all core infantry classifications (but not limited to just 11 series). Snipers are rare, since passing the school is rare. There are however, Squad Designated Marksman.

Both are capable of being on the front lines. And yet, both are also capable of being degraded to detention operations like an MP.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure my comrades here can spend more than the 2 minutes I did.

Comment

... whats a blue cord? CIB? EIB? spurs? stetsons?
      Last edited by SeanR87; July 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I'm an 11B, graduated OSUT in march.
        1.AIT is basically more of the basic Infantry stuff you learn in BCT. It's a little more advanced, but for the most part you just get more practice in it. As far as deployments go, I can't really say. But my unit came back a year ago from Iraq and all they did was guard a prison camp.
        2. Who's more of a powerhouse? Depends who you ask ;) but everyone knows it's the Infantry :p
        3.It really depends on a bunch of things. cav scouts traditionally scout out routes for mechanized formations, but the Infantry are basically built to go in and destroy the enemy.
        4.I've yet to see any snipers. But like said above we have Squad Designated Marksmen. If you really want a sniper role as an 11B, you're best be is to find a scout platoon in your state.
        5.As also said above, the Infantry pretty much get the most pull for those schools. The NM Guard hosts an Air Assault class every year for us.

Hopefully this information helped a bit.

Comment

Yeah, I was also confused as to how 19D's differed from infantryman. From what I had read, the scouts seemed more like spies. I dont know, thats just the impression I got.

Comment

[QUOTE=Andrew101]I'm an 11B, graduated OSUT in march.
            1.AIT is basically more of the basic Infantry stuff you learn in BCT. It's a little more advanced, but for the most part you just get more practice in it. As far as deployments go, I can't really say. But my unit came back a year ago from Iraq and all they did was guard a prison camp.
            2. Who's more of a powerhouse? Depends who you ask ;) but everyone knows it's the Infantry :p
            3.It really depends on a bunch of things. cav scouts traditionally scout out routes for mechanized formations, but the Infantry are basically built to go in and destroy the enemy.
            4.I've yet to see any snipers. But like said above we have Squad Designated Marksmen. If you really want a sniper role as an 11B, you're best be is to find a scout platoon in your state.
            5.As also said above, the Infantry pretty much get the most pull for those schools. The NM Guard hosts an Air Assault class every year for us.

Hopefully this information helped a bit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it did. Thanks.

Comment

Your snipers are in the HHC for Infantry and in Cavarly Scouts I've only seen them in Charle Troop.

Comment

Any 19D's post on this site?

Comment

[QUOTE=JonTheBaptist]Any 19D's post on this site?[/QUOTE]
                  Yes, but we don't post frequently.

Comment

We recently conducted a 19D to 11B conversion for a national guard unit. 1 week and the scouts were infantry. So I would suppose there isn't that much difference in the job.

Comment

Is this true I was told that it really dosnt matter what mos you choose in the guard when you deploy you will be put on matinence and supply regardless of your guard job is this true?

Comment

[QUOTE=SeanR87]I had forgotten to put an "A" after 31...I did not see one on goarmy.com

I typed 11B or 19D in the title, those are the MOS's all those questions are about...I just gave a little backround on myself, saying what I may do eventually...I'd like to be in college, and will not be doing the officer route any time soon, if I ever do it but if I do, I would choose either or...I would just like to be enlisted for the time being, special forces training is very long and may interfere with college, therefore I'd rather wait...If you can answer my questions I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks to Steve Lord...btw whats a blue cord? CIB? EIB? spurs? stetsons?

Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Check it out... I was a 19D before going to the dark side. 11B and 19D are basically the same exact thing. Only difference in the past was 19D you took 1 less week on the range and shoot to work on Vehicle drive(Hummers, Bradleys, Strikers). and now in today's world, they are both learning the same thing. Currently, as I've been hearing, is they are starting to do away with 19Ds and reclassing them to 11Bs with a specialization in Recon. So there you go.

PS:
                        Blue cord=a cord that goes on your class A's to show you are infantry.
                        CIB= Combat infantryman's Badge- earned when deployed as an infantryman and was attacked
                        EIB= Expert infantryman's badge- earned after completing a series of events to earn it.
                        Spurs & Stetson- mostly worn with the Class A's to show you're cav, but you must have either completed a spur run(events to earn the spurs) or deployed with a cav unit. there are 2 different colored spurs to show how you got them(gold & silver)

Comment

Wow great replies. Didn't think this thread was still active. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X