Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCIP, what is it and what can it do for you?

Have OCIP (Officer Candidate Indoctrination Program) this weekend and I really do not know what to expect. I think that is intentional...

Anyone on here attended?

I will report back on Monday...

OC Gibson

Re: OCIP, what is it and what can it do for you?

I thought for SoCal this was first weekend of May, at San Luis Obispo? Although I am sure there is more than one.

Anyway, I was supposed to go but, I am still waiting to get my gear/uniforms, etc.
    Last edited by serega; May 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

New Program

When I went to OCS, the first drill was a cross between basic training, in that the TACs were screaming and we were always running, and reception station, where we stood in lots of lines and were poked and prodded in every possible way.

That year, we started with 120 Officer Candidates...and 18 months later we graduated 48, of which 45 actually commissioned. So 45 out of 120.

The following class started with 45, and was down to 20-something by the third drill.

Shortly after that it was decided to develop an "indoctrination" program to weed out the half-cocked from the serious early on, and eliminate any perception that OCS was a "gentleman's course" as they used to call it.

The first version of the program looked like Navy Seals BUDS...You ran on the beach in full battle rattle, soaking wet, covered in sand...as a team trying to hump a log through the dunes...And the TAC officer that was running it looked like a cross between "Putty" from Seinfeld, and a pro wrestler. Sounded like "American Dad" if you've ever watched the cartoon...No idea where we found this guy, but he was recruiting poster material all the way.

[I]High five...or I'll rip off your arm and beat you with it[/I]..
      [IMG]http://www.armchairenergist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/seinfeld-high-five.jpg[/IMG]
      Last edited by California Major; May 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

OCIP, continued...

Somewhere along the way they found a happy medium, developed it into sort of a pre-OCS course...Its probably the toughest part of OCS. If you survive OCIP, the rest is just cake..

...a very, [I]very angry [/I]cake....that yells a lot. :mad:

Comment

Is this program strictly for the traditional OCS? I am going to AOCS and have an orientation at the end of this month and was wondering if it is the samething.

Comment

California, land of fruits and nuts

I think it is specific to our State OCS in California, I have not heard of other states implementing it.

Comment

There is a video on Youtube from 2007 I think.
              Last edited by GutshotStraight; May 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Ring the bell...go on...RING THE BELL!!!

That is awesome...puts you in the mindset. Seperates the men from the boys...(sorry, I have no female version of this euphemism...but suffice to say I have served with women I would be proud to cower behind)

Did you get to pack around the infamous brass bell?

A few classes after mine a tradition was started to buy a gift or something for the class behind you. One class bought a big brass bell, like the ones Navy SEALs step up and ring to announce that they quit.

The class after that built a frame for it to hang from.

It has since evolved to a heavy, 4-man carry that they take everywhere.
                Last edited by California Major; May 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

SLO Memories

I did the long program at CSLO. For the first three months we got the "Hooah Huts" (not sure if those are still standing) that according to local legend are leftover from an internment or POW Camp...

Then we got to move into the new barracks which had just been built.

We didn't have a bell. You actually had to request a board, and then go before the board to announce you were withdrawing, or something like that.

I love that...[I]Some people passed out[/I]...That just kicks butt.
                  Last edited by California Major; May 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X