X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Assault School

Our son is an SMP cadet and the ROTC slotted him for Air Assault School at a time that conflicts with his summer classes. His NG unit is working to slot him in August.

Does he get paid to go to Air Assault through the NG?

I believe it will be in Fort Benning as the ATTRS(?) shows the only AAS Aug 10-21st being in GA. Money is tight as my hubby is out on full disability but if there is a special graduation and it is a big deal maybe we could swing one of us going to graduation. Driving would be over 32 hours each way so that is out. So any input on what graduation is like would be appreciated.

How soon do they let them know if they are slotted? That would go along way towards being able to get a cheaper flight the sooner we know.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=ROTCMOM]Our son is an SMP cadet and the ROTC slotted him for Air Assault School at a time that conflicts with his summer classes. His NG unit is working to slot him in August.

Does he get paid to go to Air Assault through the NG?

I believe it will be in Fort Benning as the ATTRS(?) shows the only AAS Aug 10-21st being in GA. Money is tight as my hubby is out on full disability but if there is a special graduation and it is a big deal maybe we could swing one of us going to graduation. Driving would be over 32 hours each way so that is out. So any input on what graduation is like would be appreciated.

How soon do they let them know if they are slotted? That would go along way towards being able to get a cheaper flight the sooner we know.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

When he goes to Air Assault he will get paid. It is at Ft .Benning and there is a graduation. How big it is im not to sure. WO1 went to AA school and he can tell you everything any anything you would like to know.

Comment

Involved

Good for you being so involved in your son's life. It's rare that you see parents that know a lick about the service.

Comment

Thanks Critter, appreciate the compliment.

Frankly when our son joined I wasn't sure what to think. Since his soph year in HS recruiters called and called and our son blew them off for a few years then when he said he was joining it wasn't long before he was off to MEPS.

When he choose 19K I asked what it was and said could you please pick someplace a little further back from the heat of battle for your mom's nerves LOL.

Once he made the decision his dad and I were 100% behind him. That included learning some of the lingo and researching beyond what the (biased) media was force feeding us.

It isn't too hard to back him as he is dedicated and focused and the slogan we will make them Army Strong has certainly applied to him. 300 PT scores, 2 Army Achievement Medals within less than a year out of OSUT and a determination to succeed no matter what.

He has changed from his 19K track as he decided to go to college and pursue Physical Therapy and rehab Soldiers.

There is another forum of very dedicated parents out there that was a great support to us during the roller coaster ride it has been so far.

Comment

He'll get full pay if the guard unit sends him, versus a couple hundred bucks if ROTC does. Don't bother going to the graduation. It's not that big a deal. Certainly not worth a 32hr drive. He'll be proud when he gets back, celebrate then.

Comment

Thanks for the input. That puts my mind at ease about not going. If it were closer we would go for sure. Still hate to miss it but you are right we can plan a nice party for when he gets back. :cool:

Comment

Re: Air Assault School

My son was on a waiting list for Air Assault School since they had to change slots due to his summer college classes and they said it was unlikely that he would get the slot so he signed up to do a [B]Natural[/B] Bodybuilding competition which goes the week prior to his Air Assault School.

He has a low percentage of bodyfat anyway and has been cutting it down lower for the competition. He had been 6% and is cutting to 3%.

Well, he just sent me a text that he got the slot. I asked him if he was going to do both and he said yeah but it would kick his tail.

I know he is hard core but anyone here that has gone thru AAS have any suggestions or comments. He works out extremely hard each day so he will be in incredible shape. He keeps up with his cardio as well as lifting so he will be in good shape going in.

The other problem is he is in Montana and I believe the school is in GA so I know that will kick him also. The humidity in KY when he was in Knox was crazy compared to MT.
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; May 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X