X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Handler?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about becoming a dog handler in the NG?

I read something about there having to be an open slot and that only certain states do it, but how do I find out which states have this option? And if so, then how do I go about becoming one?

You have to go to MP school then canine school afterwards which I believe was an AF school.

Comment

I go for MP OSUT in July this year, so I'll have that down.

But what else do I need to do? Like how would I sign up?

Comment

[quote=HollyJP55]I go for MP OSUT in July this year, so I'll have that down.

But what else do I need to do? Like how would I sign up?[/quote]

You have to talk to your training NCO in your unit or your recruiter to see if there are dog handler slots in your state. Only if you get that slot (which is rare and competitve in the Guard), then you can get that school. My friend here is in the K-9 platoon and he is deploying soon. When I was an MP, I knew a guy who got the school but wasnt slotted when he got to the 101st. They put him in a team leader position in a line platoon. He b and whined about getting out and finally did before we deployed to Iraq.

Comment

Units are in New York or Connecticut, they are small units, tend to stay full, and you'll have limited promotion opportunities if you do get in. I recommend concentrating on regular MP, and see how it goes from there.

Comment

Working...
          X