X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• operation clear skies

I am currently joining an Air Defense Artillery BN that's being called up for Operation Clear Skies in Washington D.C. for a year. My recruiter said we'd live in hotels, and thatís all he really knew. Does anyone know if you get liberty at night and weekends (if there's no duties assigned) or will we be locked down pretty much? Any help would be appreciated, especially if someoneís already done a tour there. Thanks in advance.

The inaguration? My unit was called also, but I've been excluded for personal reasons.

I haven't heard anything on that. Washington DC is a dangerous city. More than likely I would say NO.

Comment

No not the inaguration. Operation Clear Skies, is an operation that's been conducted since 9/11 to keep the skies over Washington safe and clear of enemy aircraft (ie: shoot down terrorists).

Comment

[QUOTE=john2042]No not the inaguration. Operation Clear Skies, is an operation that's been conducted since 9/11 to keep the skies over Washington safe and clear of enemy aircraft (ie: shoot down terrorists).[/QUOTE]

When I worked at Bureau in Mobilizations, I worked the OIF desk. I sat next to the OEF desk. Behind me sat the "Everything Else" desk (Balkans, Gitmo, Sinai, and Clear Skies). As I recall from the chatter I overheard, the mission is strict, but it's not prison. You'll have some time to see the sights. Ensure that you visit the [URL="http://www.ngaus.org/"]NGAUS[/URL] building and museum at One Mass Ave, and perhaps visit Bureau itself across the river in Arlington. I would recommend that even if you're allowed to have a POV, don't bother. Parking is a nightmare, traffic is horrible for much of the day, and you don't need it with the [URL="http://www.wmata.com/"]Metro[/URL].

Comment

[QUOTE=john2042]No not the inaguration. Operation Clear Skies, is an operation that's been conducted since 9/11 to keep the skies over Washington safe and clear of enemy aircraft (ie: shoot down terrorists).[/QUOTE]

It's called the NCR (National Capital Region) mission. SWEET duty. I have never been but know some that have, and one of the ADA BDEs here is scheduled to go again.

Honestly I dont know what a Soldier would be doing, probably manning some missile station doing shift work. For the officers I knew, they had a condo (free), ridiculous per diem (over 2k per month?), a rental car and no doubt had nights and weekends off. I'd do that "deployment" over and over and over again. :cool:

Comment

How do you sign up for that duty? =)

Comment

[QUOTE=LT_77]It's called the NCR (National Capital Region) mission. SWEET duty. I have never been but know some that have, and one of the ADA BDEs here is scheduled to go again.

Honestly I dont know what a Soldier would be doing, probably manning some missile station doing shift work. For the officers I knew, they had a condo (free), ridiculous per diem (over 2k per month?), a rental car and no doubt had nights and weekends off. I'd do that "deployment" over and over and over again. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Beats Iraq...??
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=richierich]How do you sign up for that duty? =)[/QUOTE]

Join one of the few ADA units left in the Guard:[LIST][*]263 AAMDC - Anderson, SC[*]174 ADA - Columbus, OH[*]164 ADA - Orlando, FL[/LIST]
                Then wait. Your number will come up soon enough.

Comment

I recently returned from this mission.

The duty is excellent. Your schedule will be dependent on what your specific job is while you are there. There is a good amount of time off, and soldiers were free to do whatever they wanted, with only a few obvious exceptions (no drinking when on Standby Alert, don't travel outside of a 55-mile radius except on Leave/Pass, etc). Personal vehicles were not authorized, but local mass transit is easy, cheap, and fairly convenient. Billets are off post apartments and were good to very good. E-1 to E-4 were billeted two to a room, E-5 and above had their own rooms for the most part. In addition to your regular pay you will receive Per Diem at the rate of $64 a day while you are actually in the NCR (not during trainup or demobilization, though).

This deployment is not only the premiere air defense mission in the entire world (as described by our chain of command, anyway), but also a great opportunity to save up money, and see the nation's capital. If you go on this mission I encourage you to make the most of it. Visit the museums and historical sites throughout the area, take online college or Army correspondence courses, maintain your PT score, etc.

Comment

Anyone here prep-ing for deployment for this mission?

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie] I would recommend that even if you're allowed to have a POV, don't bother. Parking is a nightmare, traffic is horrible for much of the day, and you don't need it with the [URL="http://www.wmata.com/"]Metro[/URL].[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, can I have that seat for my stinger missle?:D :eek:

Comment

reclass?

I did some research, and the ADA in Ohio has available slots for the Op Clear Skies Mission in DC.

If you are in the Ohio area, or willing to commute, PM me for info.

Comment

[QUOTE=richierich]I did some research, and the ADA in Ohio has available slots for the Op Clear Skies Mission in DC.

If you are in the Ohio area, or willing to commute, PM me for info.[/QUOTE]

Good for you, I conducted Battle Hand-off with the Ohio guys in 2007 and they seemed like a decent bunch. Best of luck.

Comment

I wish I had signed up as air defense artillery now, lol.
                            Last edited by matthew.ritchie; February 22nd, 2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X